Author Topic: Shooting at max range  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Detros (OP)

• Commander
Shooting at max range
« on: February 11, 2017, 12:27:16 PM »
The eight number in accuracy ratings is 0. Will this turret shoot even if it has 0 % to hit? Or will it wait till it has at least 1 % chance to hit?
Code: [Select]
Duffy & Clarke 12cm C2 Visible Light Laser (1)    Range 80 000km     TS: 2500 km/s     Power 4-2     RM 2    ROF 10        4 4 2 2 1 1 1 1 0 0
Gibbons Electronics Fire Control S04 40-2500 H70 (1)    Max Range: 80 000 km   TS: 2500 km/s     88 75 62 50 38 25 12 0 0 0

Offline SgtVennamo

• Leading Rate
  • S
Re: Shooting at max range
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 02:03:06 PM »
It waits until it has at least a chance to hit.

Offline Detros (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 02:42:42 PM »
So if missile is moving with speed of 5000 km/s directly to this laser and this laser can with enough power plants shoot every 10 seconds the shooting will be something between these two scenarios, depending on how close does the missile get in the initial step:

Scenario A
  • time 0s, target at 79k km, laser shooting, chance to hit ~1 %, possible damage 1
  • time 5s, target at 54k km, laser reloading
  • time 10s, target at 29k km, laser shooting, chance to hit ~63 %, possible damage 2
  • time 15s, target at 4k km, laser reloading
  • time 20s, laser hit

Scenario B
  • time 0s, target at 56k km, laser shooting, chance to hit ~30 %, possible damage 1
  • time 5s, target at 31k km, laser reloading
  • time 10s, target at 2k km (rounded to 10k for combat), laser shooting, chance to hit exactly 88 %, possible damage 4
  • time 15s, laser hit

Am I right? Or could maybe at the last step of Scenario A the laser shoot once more if it was taking its turn before the missile?

Offline SgtVennamo

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 03:08:01 PM »
If I remember correctly, it goes pretty much like that. Then again most missiles will go a lot faster, so you'll be looking at getting one shot in per volley.

Offline Detros (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 03:30:57 PM »
If I remember correctly, it goes pretty much like that. Then again most missiles will go a lot faster, so you'll be looking at getting one shot in per volley.
I am not looking to use them single-ly. I tried lots of variants and in the end managed (hopefully with all settings right) to cram two tri-laser turrets  in 2.5kt corvette and three of these laser turrets in 5k frigate. Getting ready to open the can of worms known as a jump point.  9 shots in a volley should be able to do something at least partially decent.

Offline Titanian

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 03:43:17 AM »
In your example, the missile goes twice as fast as your tracking speed, so expect hits to be half as likely.

The following users thanked this post: Detros

Offline Detros (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 04:28:03 AM »
In your example, the missile goes twice as fast as your tracking speed, so expect hits to be half as likely.
Ah, right.

As we are in Academy section: to see how effective your weapons are against variously fast targets you can go to Class Design->Full Summary View. There you can set the desired distance/speed of your target  on the right - the stats of your weapons will update in the summary.

In the first years, when I got designs without any weapons, I thought these distance/speed settings are no working as changing them didn't seem to do anything at all.