Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Questions  (Read 183871 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Questions
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2018, 10:25:11 AM »
Will the way ship movement is calculated be more advanced when travelling between two moving objects (like planets)? I.E. will the ship take its travel time into account and move towards the expected target position at that time, or simply calc its movement to the actual position of the target and then every movement cycle "adjust" to the "new" position?

Fleets will adjust their course to intercept moving fleets but not system bodies. The problem in the latter case is that the body could be a moon orbiting a planet orbiting a star which is orbiting another star, which itself is orbiting another star (and everything is moving in an arc, not a straight line). Trying to calculate the best intercept position for a fleet and a system body in that situation is not straightforward. Doing that for a lot of fleets would be a lot of calculations.

As system bodies move slowly compared to fleets, I think the performance downside of all those extra calculations is probably not worth the game play benefit.

The following users thanked this post: King-Salomon, Agoelia

Offline DEEPenergy

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2018, 07:49:27 PM »
Hi Steve

Will there be any way to upgrade ground units with better equipment after they've been built?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2018, 04:46:55 AM »
Hi Steve

Will there be any way to upgrade ground units with better equipment after they've been built?

Probably, although I haven't coded it yet.

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2018, 11:50:57 AM »
Not sure if I have missed this. Was just wondering how damaged or destroyed units in ground formations will be dealt with after combat. Will they be repaired / replaced over time or will you need to build individual replacement units to get them back to strength now the concept of readiness has gone? Is there still the concept of replacement units to speed up rebuild if you don’t need to replace one for one?

The following users thanked this post: Agoelia, dag0net

Offline Whitecold

• Commander
  • W
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2018, 12:50:50 PM »
Somewhere along the lines NPR that do not use jump gates have been mentioned. Can these NPRs handle civilian traffic/use jump tenders? Similarly, does the players civilian network will use jump tenders stationed at WPs?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2018, 01:02:21 PM »
Somewhere along the lines NPR that do not use jump gates have been mentioned. Can these NPRs handle civilian traffic/use jump tenders? Similarly, does the players civilian network will use jump tenders stationed at WPs?

I haven't added a non-jump gate NPR yet. I only have the first template operating at the moment (well, three similar ones with different weapons). As I add more I will look at how civilians handle no jump gates.

Offline Wolf359

• Leading Rate
  • W
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2018, 12:29:05 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10097. msg108826#msg108826 date=1530804311
Fleets will adjust their course to intercept moving fleets but not system bodies.  The problem in the latter case is that the body could be a moon orbiting a planet orbiting a star which is orbiting another star, which itself is orbiting another star (and everything is moving in an arc, not a straight line).  Trying to calculate the best intercept position for a fleet and a system body in that situation is not straightforward.  Doing that for a lot of fleets would be a lot of calculations.

As system bodies move slowly compared to fleets, I think the performance downside of all those extra calculations is probably not worth the game play benefit.

If the movement of celestial bodies is deterministic then run the celestial simulation ahead at startup and store in memory.  Run the future scheduled positions during your main loop as normal to keep the stack filled.  In that way you always have X number of stored positions in memory to use for your AI decisions.  Players generally don't miss the seconds during boot to get ahead of schedule.  Use those future positions for navigation intercept calculations.

Offline hadi

• Aurora blind player
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • h
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2018, 02:47:51 AM »
Hello
Sorry if this is mentioned before but i couldn't find any info on this.
Will this version of aurora also have exposed elements to screen readers, like the original aurora did?
Just want to  know to be hyped or not :)
At this point, I was suspecting demonic intervention.
-Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2018, 04:42:29 AM »
Hello
Sorry if this is mentioned before but i couldn't find any info on this.
Will this version of aurora also have exposed elements to screen readers, like the original aurora did?
Just want to  know to be hyped or not :)

To be honest it was accidental on my part that VB6 Aurora worked with screen readers, although once I become aware I also added coordinates to make it more compatible. I am not doing anything very different in UI terms for C# Aurora, apart from being able to drag the screen around and zoom using the mouse wheel (VB6 doesn't know about mouse wheels). I can also add the coordinates again. So if normal C# applications work that way, then Aurora should too.

The following users thanked this post: hadi

Offline hadi

• Aurora blind player
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • h
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2018, 06:11:03 AM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10097. msg109123#msg109123 date=1532770949
To be honest it was accidental on my part that VB6 Aurora worked with screen readers, although once I become aware I also added coordinates to make it more compatible.  I am not doing anything very different in UI terms for C# Aurora, apart from being able to drag the screen around and zoom using the mouse wheel (VB6 doesn't know about mouse wheels).  I can also add the coordinates again.  So if normal C# applications work that way, then Aurora should too.
This is good news!  I'm not familiar with programming but i know that QT or java based guis need some sort of accessibility library to be included and activated.  Most c# apps however  come with keyboard navigation already active and buttons labeled.  Unless a custom toolkit or  gui wrapper is used to draw objects such as menu buttons and sliders.

Like others in the community i'm also very excited to see the first version how how accessible it would be
cheers
At this point, I was suspecting demonic intervention.
-Steve

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2018, 12:11:33 AM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10097. msg108826#msg108826 date=1530804311
Fleets will adjust their course to intercept moving fleets but not system bodies.  The problem in the latter case is that the body could be a moon orbiting a planet orbiting a star which is orbiting another star, which itself is orbiting another star (and everything is moving in an arc, not a straight line).  Trying to calculate the best intercept position for a fleet and a system body in that situation is not straightforward.  Doing that for a lot of fleets would be a lot of calculations.

If the movement of celestial bodies is deterministic then run the celestial simulation ahead at startup and store in memory.  Run the future scheduled positions during your main loop as normal to keep the stack filled.  In that way you always have X number of stored positions in memory to use for your AI decisions.  Players generally don't miss the seconds during boot to get ahead of schedule.  Use those future positions for navigation intercept calculations.
Currently, body movement isn't entirely deterministic since it is only updated during production ticks and those are +/- 5 days depending on when interrupts occur and what timescales the player selects.  Even if it was, in VB6 body movement is optional as a performance boost.  While I hope C# will be significantly faster, this could still be prohibitive.

Offline Indefatigable

• Chief Petty Officer
  • I
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2018, 01:24:24 PM »
Dimensions, image format and naming policy of flags/leader pics?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2018, 02:41:37 PM »

Flags are jpg with naming convention flag####.jpg. No size restriction.

Races are bmp with naming convention Race###.bmp. 215 x 175 pixels.

Offline Indefatigable

• Chief Petty Officer
  • I
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2018, 04:59:39 AM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10097.        msg109188#msg109188 date=1533152497
Quote from: Indefatigable link=topic=10097.        msg109185#msg109185 date=1533147864

Flags are jpg with naming convention flag####.        jpg.         No size restriction.       

Races are bmp with naming convention Race###.        bmp.         215 x 175 pixels.       
Forgot to ask do the flags get streched to fit on all sides, ignoring the original aspect ratio - or just one side, leaving parts transparent?
example: https://imgur. com/a/hPZqefM
Thanks.       
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 05:06:53 AM by Indefatigable »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2018, 07:09:29 AM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10097.        msg109188#msg109188 date=1533152497
Quote from: Indefatigable link=topic=10097.        msg109185#msg109185 date=1533147864

Flags are jpg with naming convention flag####.        jpg.         No size restriction.       

Races are bmp with naming convention Race###.        bmp.         215 x 175 pixels.       
Forgot to ask do the flags get streched to fit on all sides, ignoring the original aspect ratio - or just one side, leaving parts transparent?
example: https://imgur. com/a/hPZqefM
Thanks.       

Stretched on all sides.