Author Topic: Recreating a saved game in a new version  (Read 646 times)

Offline Velociranga (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • V
Recreating a saved game in a new version
« on: September 18, 2023, 12:57:25 AM »
Hi Everyone

I am wondering if anyone here has much experience using the back end of aurora to recreate a save after a game update.

I have a game I am currently really enjoying and I would like to continue it once Steve updates to the new version.  Can not wait for the new missile system

Now I can definitely do this through the game but I've colonised 11 star systems and recreating them and their connections would take me forever.

I have SQL skills so I am relatively confident I can figure most of it out, I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience or advice.

Cheers
Velociranga

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Recreating a saved game in a new version
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 01:17:02 AM »
It is not supported at all. I tried doing this once, I think attempting to migrate 1.12 to 1.13, and could not get it to work. The tricky part is that you basically have to merge two databases that are not organized in the same way, since the newer version adds additional fields in some tables which must be populated as well as additional rows in tables which may or may not have changed schema.

I wouldn't recommend trying this unless you feel very comfortable with the DB organization already, otherwise it will probably be more frustrating than fun.

Offline Velociranga (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • V
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 06:29:37 PM »
Yeah I was worried that might be the case. I can definitely see a couple of issues that would be present.

Fortunately working with databases is my job and I am starting to get a grasp on the Aurora DB. I have been playing around with extracting data from the DB to produce some graphical reporting for myself.

What about just using the backend to create the systems and linkages? I can live with redesigning ships, missiles and ground units but it takes me forever to create systems inside Aurora. There shouldn't be as many issues with creating the game inside Aurora and then editing the db to include the systems, right?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2023, 09:03:36 PM »
What about just using the backend to create the systems and linkages? I can live with redesigning ships, missiles and ground units but it takes me forever to create systems inside Aurora. There shouldn't be as many issues with creating the game inside Aurora and then editing the db to include the systems, right?

That sounds pretty risky, but give the 2.2 changelog a look over. If there's no changes whatsoever to anything involving system or planet generation, you might be okay. Maybe. Possibly. I'd probably just start a new game though.

The following users thanked this post: Velociranga

Offline Velociranga (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • V
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2023, 11:49:54 PM »
Hmmm thats a good point, I hadn't realised the number of minor changes in the 2.2 update, damn.

Thanks Slurpee

Well in that case I will probably just start a new game.

Has anyone had any success re-creating a save inside Aurora? I've never tried because it seems like a minor nightmare. The tech and what not is doable but I feel like recreating the systems would be nigh impossible. Even using real stars I feel like your only ever going to get close

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2023, 03:00:08 AM »
I've only done it for campaigns that have not expanded outside of Sol. As you said, recreating other systems and the connections is extremely difficult.

The following users thanked this post: Velociranga

Offline Velociranga (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • V
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2023, 06:35:04 PM »
Ok, yeah thought that might be the case.

Well either way its somewhat of a moot point now as the laptop with the game file on it was stolen was week.

So I have no choice but to start a new game haha

Thanks for the help anyway

The following users thanked this post: unkfester