Author Topic: The moment you realised you screwed up a custom Race's home system  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Tikigod (OP)

• Lieutenant

Looked at the binary system the game generated with the system and figured "Hey, would be cool to have a nice little belt going on between the two stars", wasn't until about 40 years in and I was pushing out survey ships to survey the home system that I realised the sheer distance between the two stars and that I'd ended up with 880 asteroids spread across 290 billon Kilometres well well weeeeeeeeeeellllll beyond the scope of the standing orders detection range of new targets.... now been some 15-16 years mapping out these asteroids using 3 survey ships.

Sometimes I get lucky with a close cluster that allows a survey ship to chain survey 10 or more before they start whining there's no more asteroids in range to survey, but for the most part the limitation on standing order range has turned this into what will likely be a two decade long survey micromanagement headache. lol

But a good lesson to learn when doing another custom start.... always sanity check distances before tweaking.... that and to dream of a day when Steve blesses us with a option to tune standing order ranges within the standing orders window.  ;D

(Edit: Come to think of it, might be closer to 20+ years already spent mapping the asteroids out, I think my brain is trying to repress the memories of manually babysitting these survey ships for all this time)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 05:31:10 PM by Tikigod »
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, University Commencement

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: The moment you realised you screwed up a custom Race's home system
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 06:33:43 PM »
always sanity check distances before tweaking
Yes as well as before sending a surveyor to another star or a distant planet that happens to be 200 billion km away instead of "just" the 20 b km you thought it was.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 07:43:25 PM »
Yes as well as before sending a surveyor to another star or a distant planet that happens to be 200 billion km away instead of "just" the 20 b km you thought it was.

It makes for an interesting edge case where you wish your surveyor was also a lagrange stabilizer

Offline Tikigod (OP)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 11:18:04 PM »

In that case at least I made sure the secondary star system had a lagrange point around one of the planets even without noticing the sheer distance involved, purely because I saw some of the planets would make great colonisation targets later on and from past experience I know that even if the range was 10 times less without a lagrange point civilian shipping would tie itself up most of the time just travelling back and forth on mundane orders and pretty much kill all early civilian shipping growth as they'd rarely earn anything initially. heh

So whilst surveying the asteroids is taking me decades, traveling between the two different star systems and populated colonies only actually takes ships around half a week.

On a side note, Aurora handles a binary system with 880 asteroids very well in terms of turn processing and saving, so may do similar again in the future..... just not with these kind of distances. :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 11:22:41 PM by Tikigod »
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

Offline Llamageddon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 08:23:32 PM »
Pretty impressive, you could use this sort of system generation abuse for benchmarking/stress testing the game.  ;D
Currently using Aurora 1.12 - Unmodded

Offline Tikigod (OP)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 07:01:23 PM »
Pretty impressive, you could use this sort of system generation abuse for benchmarking/stress testing the game.  ;D

Surveying all those asteroids meant I didn't end up leaving my home system until around year 74, but now exploring 9 systems (and a NPR active the entire time) I can clearly state that those 880 asteroids in my home system seem to have had zero performance impact... likely because these asteroids are stationary objects (Even though orbital behaviour for the asteroids supposedly enabled) so the game doesn't need to calculate orbital behaviour for each one.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 07:04:05 PM by Tikigod »

Offline Llamageddon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 07:37:22 PM »
I wonder if that means they aren't actually having their orbits calculated or that C# is just so much faster than VB Aurora? Good to know I don't have to worry about it, performance-wise.
Currently using Aurora 1.12 - Unmodded