Author Topic: Collection of Component Naming Options - Come add to the list!  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Iestwyn (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
I try to give my components interesting names, but it can be hard to think up new ones after a while. Inspired by some of the great fiction on the forum, I decided to collect some ideas here for people to draw from. Some of these are mine, while some are from designs and posts I've seen elsewhere on the forum.

If you have any you'd like to add, let me know and I'll edit them in!

Anatomy of a Name
Most names that I've seen have one or more of the following four parts: tag, descriptions, type, and features.
Tag - This is the most creative part of the name, and it's something pretty unique to the component. Examples include a specific name (calling a specific missile type the "Dart"), the scientist that researched it, the date it was invented, the company that sponsored it, the planet where it was invented, the ship name where it was first used, or just "Mark/Version [number]." You can even use a serial number or designation code to describe functional characteristics or mechanical features (see the last part of this section). There can be as many tags as you like: a company name and serial number, for example.
Description - What makes this component different from others of its type, such as a sensor's resolution or strength. A basic example would be "heavy" vs "light" weapons.
Type - The basic type of component, but not necessarily the word used by Aurora itself. You can call a laser a "lightbeam," a railgun a "light mass driver," or a fire control a "targeting array."
Features - Aurora automatically puts some of the component's mechanical features at the end of the name to make it easier to plan ships and read design summaries. I leave those on; some people even add to them, making things such as "NTE 75% 20HS 75EP 23.3L" engines that describe the power modifier, hull size, engine power, and fuel consumption per hour. You can turn these into a serial number to double as a tag and make the name look even more fleshed-out.

You can include as many of these things as you like, or as few. They can also be in any order. One thing to note is that you can reflavor things to keep them interesting. Aurora's active sensors use gravitational pulses while LADAR uses light, but the effect is largely the same: you "shoot" something to learn more about it, but doing so makes you more visible. Feel free to call your active sensors LADARs, and whatever else you can think of.

General
Low Tech or Quality - colonial, reserve, low-grade
High Tech or Quality - experimental, luxury, high-grade

Power and Propulsion
Engines - sublight, impulse, STL, repulsor, drive, turbine, thruster
Engine Size - could name by hull type, general size (small craft, warship, etc), vessel purpose (survey, scout craft, etc.)
Engine Tech - tech types could have different names, such as "Ion" becoming "Spark"
Low Power - sail, ramscoop, coaster, cruise, economy
High Power - overdrive, racing, high performance, over/turbo/super/hypercharged
Jump Drives - warp, hyperspace, slipspace, distortion, device, FTL
Power Plants - bank, reactor, chamber, supply, generator, unit

Sensors
General - scanner, array, detector/detection, dish, system, receptor
Active - pulse, LADAR/RADAR, combat
Thermal - heat, thermic, infrared, emissions
EM - light, electromagnetic, radio
ELINT - intelligence, spy, covert, surveillance, observation, listening
Fire Control - targeting, acquisition, guidance, director, tracking, prediction, computer, electronics, interception, trajectory
By Strength - standard, basic, augmented, high-power, high-performance, primary/secondary, commercial, civilian, naval, military
By Resolution - navigational, tactical, projectile, area, wide/narrow, point defense, hull size targeted (fighter/missile/destroyer/etc.)
By Range - short/medium/long, near/far, close quarters, point-blank

Weapons
General - battery
Kinetic - autocannon, light mass driver, coilgun, slugthrower, magnetic accelerator cannon (MAC)
Energy - lightbeam, beamer, blaster, ray, emitter
Microwave - non-lethal, disruption/disruptor, pacification
Caliber - heavy/light, defense/defensive, assault, high-power, standard, basic, PD/point defense
Missile - cruise, high-yield, interceptor, torpedo, bomb, drone, buoy, mine, probe
Missile Launcher - bank, bay, start ramp, firing tube, rack, mount, ignitor/ignition, pod
Turrets - mount, emplacement, barbette, hardpoint

Other
Shields - deflector, field, barrier, forcefield
Cloaking Device - stealth, camouflage, screen

Again, please let me know what your ideas are. Looking forward to reading them!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 10:30:31 PM by Iestwyn »

The following users thanked this post: vorpal+5, smoelf

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Collection of Component Naming Options - Come add to the list!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 11:11:11 PM »
I usually use a system that incorporates:
  • Manufacturer name
  • Manufacturer key or code
  • Part number, which may or may not be informative
  • Optional flavor name
  • Part type description
For an example from my current (early-stage) game, the "Angulo-Guindo AG-3300K Fighter Search Sensor" has the manufacturer name (Angulo-Guindo), their associated key or code (AG), a part number (3300K, which contains range information), no flavor name, and a type description (fighter search sensor, i.e. active sensor with 10-HS resolution). On the other hand, the Gouveia-Cabedo GC-8K Cyclone Interceptor includes a flavor name (Cyclone) as well as a part number (8K, giving speed information) and a part description (Interceptor, which in this case is a very early AMM).

Having such a system or similar allows you to quickly generate unique component names without having to pull clever descriptive terms out of your hat every time you invent a new part. Of course you can also deviate from any such system as you like, and incorporate other bits of flavor as you go - for example, I like to name my particle beams based on the (sub)atomic or molecular species they fire. The point is, having such a system (which can vary between campaigns) ensures that any component you design has a "unique" name that fits the particular setting even if it's frialy formulaic and not an imaginative name by itself.

The following users thanked this post: Iestwyn

Offline Iestwyn (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 11:29:08 PM »
I usually use a system that incorporates:
  • Manufacturer name
  • Manufacturer key or code
  • Part number, which may or may not be informative
  • Optional flavor name
  • Part type description
For an example from my current (early-stage) game, the "Angulo-Guindo AG-3300K Fighter Search Sensor" has the manufacturer name (Angulo-Guindo), their associated key or code (AG), a part number (3300K, which contains range information), no flavor name, and a type description (fighter search sensor, i.e. active sensor with 10-HS resolution). On the other hand, the Gouveia-Cabedo GC-8K Cyclone Interceptor includes a flavor name (Cyclone) as well as a part number (8K, giving speed information) and a part description (Interceptor, which in this case is a very early AMM).

Having such a system or similar allows you to quickly generate unique component names without having to pull clever descriptive terms out of your hat every time you invent a new part. Of course you can also deviate from any such system as you like, and incorporate other bits of flavor as you go - for example, I like to name my particle beams based on the (sub)atomic or molecular species they fire. The point is, having such a system (which can vary between campaigns) ensures that any component you design has a "unique" name that fits the particular setting even if it's frialy formulaic and not an imaginative name by itself.

Makes complete sense to me. Lines up with my "anatomy" thoughts, too. Having a system makes things way simpler.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 05:48:27 AM »
I appreciate the list, thanks Iestwyn.

For engines with a low output per ton (commercial etc.): Sail, Ramscoop, Coaster, Cruise
For the reverse (fighters): overdrive

For 2nd rate components (any): Colonial, Reserve

Offline Iestwyn (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 08:11:20 AM »
So glad to help! I'll add those now, along with some others in those categories that are just occurring to me.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 08:16:43 AM »
Turbocharged > Supercharged > Hypercharged - for engines with high power modifier.

Also, Steve gave us this fantastic system back in the day and I've used a modified version in several campaigns:

MISSILE DESIGNATION SYSTEM
First letter - launching platform
A - fighter
B - multiple
L - planetary
R - ship

Second letter - mission/target
D - decoy
G - planetary attack
I - intercept / anti-missile
Q - drone
S - ship
W - survey

Third letter - guidance type
M - onboard sensor for targeting
I - launch platform command only
N - fire and forget - drones/survey

MISSILES DESIGNED
   LII-100 Sparrow size 1 AMM
   LII-101 Super Sparrow size 1 AMM
   LII-102 Hawk size 1 AMM
   LGI-103 Trident size 10 ASM

ELECTRONICS DESIGNATION SYSTEM
First letter - carrying platform
A - fighter
B - stealth craft
F - planetary
G - fast attack craft
S - ship
M - missile

Second letter - type
A - invisible light
D - radioactivity detection
G - gravitational survey
L - countermeasures
M - geological survey
P - active sensor
Q - thermal detection

Third letter - mission
D - missile detection
G - fire control
N - navigation
Q - special or multiple
R - receiving or passive
S - active search
Y - surveillance (very large)

ELECTRONICS DESIGNED
   SPG-100 20,000 km / 8000 km/sec BFC
   FPD-101 Missile Detection Sensor 6m km
   FPG-102 MFC size1 4m km
   FPG-103 MFC size80 154m km
   FPY-104 PDC large array

The following users thanked this post: smoelf, nuclearslurpee, Iestwyn

Offline Iestwyn (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 09:31:01 AM »
Turbocharged > Supercharged > Hypercharged - for engines with high power modifier.

Also, Steve gave us this fantastic system back in the day and I've used a modified version in several campaigns:

MISSILE DESIGNATION SYSTEM
First letter - launching platform
A - fighter
B - multiple
L - planetary
R - ship

Second letter - mission/target
D - decoy
G - planetary attack
I - intercept / anti-missile
Q - drone
S - ship
W - survey

Third letter - guidance type
M - onboard sensor for targeting
I - launch platform command only
N - fire and forget - drones/survey

MISSILES DESIGNED
   LII-100 Sparrow size 1 AMM
   LII-101 Super Sparrow size 1 AMM
   LII-102 Hawk size 1 AMM
   LGI-103 Trident size 10 ASM

ELECTRONICS DESIGNATION SYSTEM
First letter - carrying platform
A - fighter
B - stealth craft
F - planetary
G - fast attack craft
S - ship
M - missile

Second letter - type
A - invisible light
D - radioactivity detection
G - gravitational survey
L - countermeasures
M - geological survey
P - active sensor
Q - thermal detection

Third letter - mission
D - missile detection
G - fire control
N - navigation
Q - special or multiple
R - receiving or passive
S - active search
Y - surveillance (very large)

ELECTRONICS DESIGNED
   SPG-100 20,000 km / 8000 km/sec BFC
   FPD-101 Missile Detection Sensor 6m km
   FPG-102 MFC size1 4m km
   FPG-103 MFC size80 154m km
   FPY-104 PDC large array

Well, that's incredibly useful. I should add a reference to designation systems like that.

Also added your engine power ideas and took a couple terms from your system for ELINT sensors (surveillance, observation)!

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 10:08:08 AM »
I have a habit of putting informative prefixes on my components and missiles. It's an easy way to generate something that looks like a serial number.

For a size 40 (2000 ton) ion engine with 200EP and 0.03 Liters/EPH fuel consumption, I would have something like:
Aerojet-Rocketdyne S2000P200F0.03 Electric Thruster

And an em/active size 2 probe:
Northrup-Grumman S2E0.03D2R100 Combat Probe
This tells me what launcher I need, how sensitive its EM sensor is, and what the range and resolution of its active are. The last is really useful, because the missile tech display window doesn't show the range and res of active sensors.

Deciding what info to stick into the naming scheme takes a bit of trial and error, but it's very useful for keeping track of multitudes of designs. What does this component do again? No need to go digging in the ship design window for its stats.

Admittedly, this was more important in VB6 which had a LOT of missing info in the various summary screens (engine fuel consumption was only visible in the tech summary screen, not the ship design screen IIRC). And it leads to really LONG, ugly names.

Offline Iestwyn (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 10:38:49 AM »
I have a habit of putting informative prefixes on my components and missiles. It's an easy way to generate something that looks like a serial number.

For a size 40 (2000 ton) ion engine with 200EP and 0.03 Liters/EPH fuel consumption, I would have something like:
Aerojet-Rocketdyne S2000P200F0.03 Electric Thruster

And an em/active size 2 probe:
Northrup-Grumman S2E0.03D2R100 Combat Probe
This tells me what launcher I need, how sensitive its EM sensor is, and what the range and resolution of its active are. The last is really useful, because the missile tech display window doesn't show the range and res of active sensors.

Deciding what info to stick into the naming scheme takes a bit of trial and error, but it's very useful for keeping track of multitudes of designs. What does this component do again? No need to go digging in the ship design window for its stats.

Admittedly, this was more important in VB6 which had a LOT of missing info in the various summary screens (engine fuel consumption was only visible in the tech summary screen, not the ship design screen IIRC). And it leads to really LONG, ugly names.

Enough people have talked about using serial numbers or designation codes (which are both great ideas) that I've added them to the section on "name anatomy."

Offline Inglonias

• Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 07:59:50 PM »
A little thing, but when I name lasers, I put down their wavelengths in nanometers to make myself feel smarter.

Offline Iestwyn (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2020, 09:09:55 PM »
A little thing, but when I name lasers, I put down their wavelengths in nanometers to make myself feel smarter.

Nice  ;D

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2020, 03:37:42 PM »
Depending on campaign, I've converted the aperture to either millimeter or inches.

And I've used variations on Steve's missile system before.

For fighters I usually go with F for interceptor/CSP, B for anti-ship, E for sensor/recon. So something like F-1 Raptor, B-2 Arbalest, E-1 Hawk.