Author Topic: Maintenance, Overhauls & Crew training  (Read 1963 times)

Offline kilo (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • k
Maintenance, Overhauls & Crew training
« on: November 29, 2020, 03:33:16 AM »
Hi there,

I am having trouble again and cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.  I will make a brief representation about how I think the game works and I hope you can tell me where I am wrong.

1.  Ships carrying military components require maintenance spare parts and the occasional overhaul.  How much attention they require depends on their design (tonnage & equipment)
2.  There are ground and space facilities that service ships.  These need to be of sufficient size and have MSPs at hand.
3.  On the planet overview, there are entries regarding the total maintenance capacity as well as the total fleet power stationed at that planet.
4.  There is a movement order for ships to undergo maintenance at a certain body or space station

So why does my maintenance clock tick up and how do I start/stop crew training? As it appears to me it starts the moment you add a commander.  I cannot remember giving am order after all.  In VB6, there was a fleet training order, which I cannot find.

Thank you for your time.

Online Zap0

• Captain
Re: Maintenance, Overhauls & Crew training
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 03:55:03 AM »
Commanders with the appropriate bonus passively train a ship over time. In order to start "dedicated" training, you have to attach the fleet with the ships you want to train to an admin command of the training type. Ships in training will consume fuel, not get shore leave, and tick up their maintenance clock twice as fast as they would normally when out of port. The ships don't fly around on the map anymore like in VB6, however.

Maintenance capacity has changed: In VB6 you needed to have 60k capacity and you could maintain any and all ships that were of 60k size and below, so if you had 200k tons of ships in orbit they could all be maintained no problemo if they individually were of that size or less.
In C# the tonnage is summed. If you have 200k tons in orbit, you need maintenance facilities of at least 200k tons capacity. If you have more than 200k ships in orbit your ships will tick up their clocks, proportional to how much less capacity you have compated to what you want to maintain. (220k ships on 200k capacity will advance the clock at 10% speed, for instance).

1.  Ships carrying military components require maintenance spare parts and the occasional overhaul.  How much attention they require depends on their design (tonnage & equipment)

Generally right, but what is or isn't a military component may not always be clear if you're new. Any design that's military and requires maintance will say so in it's summary text. The failure rate of a ship when in space depends on it's engineering bays, what it costs to maintain per year a simple fraction of it's cost in BP, one quarter of the cost in in MSP per year. A 2k BP ship will passively eat 500 MSP per year just sitting in port. An MSP is 0.25 Wealth, 0.1 Duranium, 0.1 Gallicite, 0.05 Uridium. Any maintenance failures while in space cost extra.

2.  There are ground and space facilities that service ships.  These need to be of sufficient size and have MSPs at hand. (tonnage & equipment)

Do you have enough MSP on the planet? I'm assuming you're on a planet. Make a screenshot of the population summary tab and we can probably spot the issue. Note that you need to produce MSP manually by activating/deactivating their production in the industry tab. Maintenance facilities don't just maintain ships, they also produce the MSP. Maintenance components (for ships/stations) don't produce MSP and need them carted there by specialized ships. If there isn't enough MSP at a colony or on a maintenance station a ship will draw from it's own MSP pool to keep itself maintained.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 05:42:54 AM »
Some tangential questions ... is there some tricks to mothball ships somehow? i.e pay less or no maintenance for a while and then overhaul them heavily? What would happen if I parked a ship over a moon without facility, until it starts suffering failures, and then head it back to maintenance facilities? Would the ship catch up in non consumed MSP?

Offline kilo (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 05:50:43 AM »
Here is the industrial tab you requested.

Online Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 07:30:37 AM »

Yeah, your maintained ship tonnage is definitely below the maintenance capacity and you have a ton of MSP available (should probably turn the production off before you're out of Duranium and Gallicite!). Any ship in orbit should not be advancing it's maintenance clock, as long as they are not under a training command. The clock only goes down if the ships are actually undergoing overhaul.

Some tangential questions ... is there some tricks to mothball ships somehow? i.e pay less or no maintenance for a while and then overhaul them heavily? What would happen if I parked a ship over a moon without facility, until it starts suffering failures, and then head it back to maintenance facilities? Would the ship catch up in non consumed MSP?

The ship will catch up in the non-consumed MSP, making the base maintenance cost always the same. In that scenario you'll pay more because of any emergency repair draws from maintenance failures.

In overhaul a ship consumes MSP at 4x it's normal rate, decreasing the maintenance clock at 3x speed (the 1x consumption missing is just the base consumption).

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 07:43:36 AM »
Ah ... so there is no saving possible!

Offline kilo (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 07:55:14 AM »
Quote from: Zap0 link=topic=12114. msg143684#msg143684 date=1606656637
Quote from: kilo link=topic=12114. msg143679#msg143679 date=1606650643

Yeah, your maintained ship tonnage is definitely below the maintenance capacity and you have a ton of MSP available (should probably turn the production off before you're out of Duranium and Gallicite!).  Any ship in orbit should not be advancing it's maintenance clock, as long as they are not under a training command.  The clock only goes down if the ships are actually undergoing overhaul.

Quote from: vorpal+5 link=topic=12114. msg143677#msg143677 date=1606650174
Some tangential questions . . .  is there some tricks to mothball ships somehow? i. e pay less or no maintenance for a while and then overhaul them heavily? What would happen if I parked a ship over a moon without facility, until it starts suffering failures, and then head it back to maintenance facilities? Would the ship catch up in non consumed MSP?

The ship will catch up in the non-consumed MSP, making the base maintenance cost always the same.  In that scenario you'll pay more because of any emergency repair draws from maintenance failures.

In overhaul a ship consumes MSP at 4x it's normal rate, decreasing the maintenance clock at 3x speed (the 1x consumption missing is just the base consumption).

How do you initiate and cancel training? I cannot remember giving the crew training command.  Maybe it is just that

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 09:57:47 AM »

I think if your ships are expensive enough, you may be able to save on MSP by sticking them in military hangars and maintaining the hangar ships.

Maintenance clock doesn't advance while in a military hangar, and hangars are pretty low cost. While the total maintenance CAPACITY used will be larger (since the hangars are bigger than the ships you put inside), the amount of MSP used will be less.

The following users thanked this post: vorpal+5

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 02:33:40 PM »
How do you initiate and cancel training? I cannot remember giving the crew training command.  Maybe it is just that

You train them by putting the ships into a Training admin command. You can see your hierarchy of admin commands in the Naval Organization window.

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 04:40:31 PM »

I think if your ships are expensive enough, you may be able to save on MSP by sticking them in military hangars and maintaining the hangar ships.

Maintenance clock doesn't advance while in a military hangar, and hangars are pretty low cost. While the total maintenance CAPACITY used will be larger (since the hangars are bigger than the ships you put inside), the amount of MSP used will be less.

- Or you stick 'em in giant Commercial Hangars... after all, if they're in orbit of a body like that then the drawbacks are largely mitigated.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2020, 05:19:34 PM »

- Or you stick 'em in giant Commercial Hangars... after all, if they're in orbit of a body like that then the drawbacks are largely mitigated.
Commercial hangers have no effect on maintenance clock.

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2020, 05:59:54 PM »

Commercial hangers have no effect on maintenance clock.

- It used too, but it seems it's been fixed as of v1.12.0, so no... it would be no benefit now, since it doesn't freeze the maintenance clock anymore.