Author Topic: OOC Comment and Update Thread  (Read 33068 times)

Offline OAM47 (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
OOC Comment and Update Thread
« on: November 03, 2011, 10:35:31 AM »
This shall be a central repository for general questions, as well as a place where I make announcements about the story.

I have just updated the background a bit to explain just what the Emperor does.  As you have have noticed, my Empire is much more along the lines of a Constitutional Monarchy, though with the Emperor still reigning supreme.

Also one tid bit of information I wasn't sure how to stick in the background post:  Inheritance is through adoption, IE the Roman method.  If a noble dies that position becomes vacant in the vast majority of cases (because I'm too lazy to rename officers THAT often  :P )

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
Re: OOC Comment and Update Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 01:17:45 AM »
I am interested how are you doing your politics in rpging. So they know what direction to take or do.

Keep up the progress good to see another aar in progress.

Offline OAM47 (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 07:23:03 AM »
To determine support levels I look at the population once a year and decide by category of worker which of the two factions they'd be likely to support.  Sometimes they all go one way, sometimes they're split 75/25, and rarely they're split 60/40, but more often then not it's a 50/50 to pad the numbers.

The factions themselves grow out of which officers (meaning all four categories) are doing a lot of work at the moment, as well as their personality traits.  Those that do something particularly noteworthy get boosted to actually being a noble and placed on the council.

Basically any time I come to a decision, be it "What do I research next", "What do I build next", or even "which JP do I scout first" I ask myself "What would each side support here"? as well as "What does the Emperor think?"  Then I act based on who has the most support, factoring in that one side doesn't ALWAYS get their way, even if that means doing something "stupid".  The best example of this would be that some of the earlier, more pompous nobles tend to take a ship out for their own purposes on a whim, screwing with the overall plan.  This will come back to bite them though (there's a bit of a spoiler in the chat forum if anyone wants to look ahead)

Offline OAM47 (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 09:21:02 PM »
Another small note.  For RP purposes I'm assuming small, 5-10 man shuttles are commonplace to allow officers to get around for meetings, etc.  I won't use it to have a commander of a ship in a far flung system magically present on Earth or anything, but I'm not actually going to send a ship to pick up the governor of Venus to meet with the Emperor each time it happens, etc.

Probably an update tomorrow.

Offline OAM47 (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 08:39:33 PM »
Fixed senate results from last chapter, they were a year off.  Not like these results are particularly important.

Offline OAM47 (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 04:22:03 PM »
University ambushed me there for awhile.  I'll get some more updates in over break.

Offline OAM47 (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 02:12:25 PM »
As I said in the update, I'm taking cameos now.  Currently I need one or two people for newscasters, as I've gotten to the point where I can make news updates too.  However, seeing how persona based this is, I may take some for new characters as they appear.  Not quite sure how I'd handle it yet, though.

Offline OAM47 (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 02:35:06 PM »
In case anyone's wondering, I've been referring to different places as either good for colonization or good for a base site.  The basic difference is that the former have a colony cost of less then 4 (though most are 2 even or thereabouts), and the latter have a colony cost much more like Titan does.

Also, next chapter, we'll FINALLY see some aliens.

Offline OAM47 (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 05:32:39 PM »
Okay guys, hard question here:  I'm in a situation where the logical thing to do will lead to one of my more valuable ships being destroyed, but OOC knowledge would let me prevent it.  Should I or should I not lose the ship?

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 05:40:17 PM »
Okay guys, hard question here:  I'm in a situation where the logical thing to do will lead to one of my more valuable ships being destroyed, but OOC knowledge would let me prevent it.  Should I or should I not lose the ship?

I prefer to play 'dumb' for all the 'firsts' that happen.

Offline OAM47 (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 06:04:52 PM »
I prefer to play 'dumb' for all the 'firsts' that happen.

As do I.  So far the only exception has been that I'm not going to "feed" the black hole.  However, this case involves potentially letting the swarm find their way to Earth!

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 05:00:58 PM »
Well creates an inersting story then. I need to rolepay it as it were however, and damn the conquences normally you can get out of most things, such as a mass of fighter complexes at low tech to defend Earth.

Offline Anarade Relle

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • A
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 06:19:37 PM »
I binge read all the threads. Great story. Hope to see more! One thing that might be nice is have a thread with all your ship designs in it. I recall flipping back through threads to see the stats on your Toronto (that battle was pretty cool, even if it ended... poorly) when they enguaged the Swarm.

Offline OAM47 (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 07:51:39 PM »
Yeah, that might be a good idea (even if the Toronto has an embarrassing flaw).  I might put that together next update.  Dunno when that will be, though, as I'm currently in another "battle".  It's going... better than the last one... well, compared to that, nearly anything is better, but I suspect that majority of my ships will survive, complete with plenty of awards, some of which are the first Bronze/Silver/Gold stars  :)

Offline Anarade Relle

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • A
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 07:58:19 PM »
Yeah, that might be a good idea (even if the Toronto has an embarrassing flaw).  I might put that together next update.  Dunno when that will be, though, as I'm currently in another "battle".  It's going... better than the last one... well, compared to that, nearly anything is better, but I suspect that majority of my ships will survive, complete with plenty of awards, some of which are the first Bronze/Silver/Gold stars  :)

Excellent. The flaw wasn't THAT bad, really. In anycase it makes sense in-game and as frustrating as it was it gives you a bunch of ready made ship and medal names. So it all works out. ;)  Good luck with the current battle!