Author Topic: Active Sensor Design tutorial  (Read 2350 times)

Offline Zook (OP)

• Commander
Active Sensor Design tutorial
« on: August 12, 2012, 11:55:16 PM »
http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Active_Sensor_Design

I've posted a short tutorial on Active Sensor Design in the wiki. I hope it can clear up a few newbie questions. All positive comments are welcome.

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
Re: Active Sensor Design tutorial
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 12:03:02 AM »
Size 1 and below active sensors can be put onto civilian craft without turning them into military, in addition to making a handy backup for military craft. also the rules for detecting smaller than resolution craft are Max Range x (Target Size / Resolution) ^2, with size 6 and below missiles having a Target Size of 0.33(rather than 0.3 for some reason) HS. And lastly the biggest sensor also puts out a fairly large EM signature that passives can pick up on.

other than all that minutiae the article is good, and the overall redesign of the wiki looks nice as well.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 12:18:48 AM by Nathan_ »

Offline Theokrat

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 03:35:06 AM »
The EM-emission values of different resolution sensors actually have an implication that I think is worthwhile pointing out:

• The Supersearch has gigantic EM emissions. If that thing is switched on, you are giving away you position to anyone within a huge range. Much further than you can see with the sensor itself.
  • The Defendor has only very small emissions. These are unlikely to give away your presence to anyone who does not stand right next to you. It would be worthwhile keeping it switched on, to avoid surprise ambushes or even minefields
  • You can only turn on all senors on a ship or none. Therefore it can be sensible to put the Defendor on a separate ship that the Supersearch. This allows to keep the Defendor running, while the supersearch is only activated when needed

I believe the spotting versus missiles is capped at missile size 6. I.e. you can always spot a size 2 missile at the same distance as a size 6 missile. Put differently, everything smaller than a size 6 missile is treated as a size 6 missile for target cross section. You might want to change the last plot to that effect.

You could also put a marker on the most relevant points in mass. For instance at missile 6, 250t (typical fighter), 1,000t (typical FAC), 5,000t (somewhat typical normal ship), 10,000t (somewhat typical capital ship).

Offline Konisforce

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 09:18:35 AM »
Are there actual numbers on there anywhere for EM emissions, or is it just a matter of "More resolution means more EM emissions"?

I'm at a point where I need much bigger (1,000 ton) sensors for decent spotting out to 1mil km.  Does that mean I'm spewing out equally huge emissions when active, or does a lack of spotting ability mean lower emissions?
Come take a look at Victoria Regina, an old-timey AAR

Offline Zook (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 11:55:27 AM »
Very good tips. I'll update the page later. Keep it coming!

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 12:13:19 PM »
Keep in mind that Active Sensor Strength = Active Grav Sensor Sensitivity * Sensor Size and that Detected Sensor Strength = Active Sensor Strength * Sensor Resolution.  When Steve added EM sensitivity to active sensors the strength figures were not adjusted to account for it much less the previously noted lack of changes to sensor cost.

Also the range penalty for targets below sensor resolution is Range * ((target hs's/resolution)^2) with target hs's bottoming at .33.  What this means to your example is that Defendor will only see a size 6 missile at 278,784km's not the 2,560,000km's that it will see a 50ton(1hs) hull.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 12:29:55 PM by Charlie Beeler »
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Zook (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 12:48:50 PM »
Keep in mind that Active Sensor Strength = Active Grav Sensor Sensitivity * Sensor Size and that Detected Sensor Strength = Active Sensor Strength * Sensor Resolution.  When Steve added EM sensitivity to active sensors the strength figures were not adjusted to account for it much less the previously noted lack of changes to sensor cost.
I don't understand.

Also the range penalty for targets below sensor resolution is Range * ((target hs's/resolution)^2) with target hs's bottoming at .33.  What this means to your example is that Defendor will only see a size 6 missile at 278,784km's not the 2,560,000km's that it will see a 50ton(1hs) hull.
Yes, the cap is in the diagram now.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 01:46:43 PM »
Your not accounting for how sensor strength is determined.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Zook (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 03:49:57 PM »
I still don't get it.

Max Range = EM Sensitiv. x Size x Strength x SQRT(Resolution) x 10000

That gives a max range of 2,560,000 for the Defendor.

By "Detected Sensor Strength = Active Sensor Strength x Sensor Resolution" I suppose you mean that an EM sensor would report the Defendor's emissions with a Detected Sensor Strength of 16 (str 16 x res 1)? Actually, I've never used a passive EM sensor yet, so I'm not sure what that means.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 09:33:54 PM »
The "strength" portion of formula is a derived value not a fixed one. 

As far as the Detected Sensor Strength you have it correct in that it is the value detected by passive EM sensors.   Passive EM sensors detect two EM sources active sensors and active shields. 

Offline Redshirt

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 11:10:24 AM »
Two requests- can you add details on the "sensor" tab on the system map? I've always found it a little confusing.

Also, is there a tutorial on passive sensors? I like to include scout ships in my fleet, equipped only with large EM and thermal passive sensors. They're good for getting a look at what's going on without tipping your hand too much.
Living up to my username. . .