Author Topic: Help please - Installation problem: 'Setup Cannot Continue Because Some Files...  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Vulture (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • V
I've heard great things about this game and can't wait to try it out.  Unfortunately, I can't get it to install at present.   I downloaded the latest zip and unzipped, but when I double click on the Setup file I get the following error:

'Setup cannot continue because some files are out of date on your system.   Click OK if you would like Setup to update your files for you now.   You will need to restart Windows before you can run Setup again.   Click cancel to exit setup without updating system files'

I run Windows XP (latest patches and service packs) and my installer is fully updated.   I read that this might be a problem with the Setup file and to edit the Setup. LST file, but have had no luck.   Clicking OK to the prompt doesn't do anything either.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thank you,
 Ted

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
I've heard great things about this game and can't wait to try it out.  Unfortunately, I can't get it to install at present.   I downloaded the latest zip and unzipped, but when I double click on the Setup file I get the following error:

'Setup cannot continue because some files are out of date on your system.   Click OK if you would like Setup to update your files for you now.   You will need to restart Windows before you can run Setup again.   Click cancel to exit setup without updating system files'

I run Windows XP (latest patches and service packs) and my installer is fully updated.   I read that this might be a problem with the Setup file and to edit the Setup. LST file, but have had no luck.   Clicking OK to the prompt doesn't do anything either.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thank you,
 Ted

This is a weird one as I haven't run into it before. Given the number of Aurora players it must be something very rare. Here is Microsoft's information on that particular error. Does that help at all?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174135

Steve

Offline nlp138

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • n
I have the exact same issue - I followed the advice on the MS link provided but no joy.   Any suggestions aside from that?  I'm running Vista if that matters and attempted to run the setup in admin mode.

Offline nlp138

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • n
I got it to install by booting windows in Safe Mode.   Wooo. . . .

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
I have the exact same issue - I followed the advice on the MS link provided but no joy.   Any suggestions aside from that?  I'm running Vista if that matters and attempted to run the setup in admin mode.

Another thing to do is to NOT try to install into Program Files - install into a user directory instead.  I don't recall if it's just a problem with Win7 or Vista too....

John

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
I have windows 7, I installed it into C:\Aurora works fine, another folder other then programs files and program files (x86) is good as vista and widows 7 tend to restrict access to they directories.

You can downgrade your security options t make this work, but I wouldn't I just suggest in the user directory as above or flat on a drive.