Author Topic:  (Read 12759 times)

Offline Mor (OP)

• Commander
« on: January 05, 2016, 03:57:26 AM »
When should I use [applaud] and [smite], and what they do?  I wanted to like\upvote couple of posts, but I wasn't sure why there are two options, so I gave up to avoid slow clap or polite smile by mistake.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re:
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 04:21:09 AM »
No one really uses it, but I assume it's to upvote good content. Smite really seems unnessecessary though. I seem to have accrued a smite along the years, perhaps someone dismayed at my spelling.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Mor (OP)

• Commander
Re:
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 04:44:19 AM »
Ohhhh smite not smilli, damn old laptop (going from 23inch at home to 15 at wok is not optimal). Ok , now I got it... 

I seem to have accrued a smite along the years, perhaps someone dismayed at my spelling.

Going to get a lot of those, but  I don't mind. I mostly use it (similar function from another forum platform) to offer positive feedback to the few exceptional post I encounter.

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re:
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 05:47:11 AM »
No one really uses it, but I assume it's to upvote good content. Smite really seems unnessecessary though. I seem to have accrued a smite along the years, perhaps someone dismayed at my spelling.

Tempted to smite that spelling of unnecessary, but then I tried spelling it without auto correct, and could not in good conscience smite you without first smiting myself.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
Re:
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 07:17:43 AM »
My auto correct has seen that typo before and has given up trying to correct it.
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
Re:
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 03:50:28 PM »
hmm, now I wonder can you self smite?

and will it affect your eyesight?

<edit.  Hmm no you can't must be some kind of puritanical forum software
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 03:52:38 PM by boggo2300 »
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
Re:
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 10:25:43 PM »
All of my applause came from one single post.  It was that good.  It's been about 3 years since.  It would appear that I was a one-hit wonder.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
Re:
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 10:47:27 PM »
Must have been great, you broke double digits.

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
Re:
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 05:00:40 PM »
My first smite I earned and accept, but the second came arguably from somebody who didn't like me speaking out some game truths.(I believe it was first post in the "how big are your ships" topic)
No idea where Mark or even Steve recently got their very first smite. Steve had a clean 79/0 record, then someone ruined it, and it was certainly not Steve being impolite or anything.

Then there are some relatively new or low active users (1-150 posts) who behave normally and just haven't gotten any specific applauds, but received a smite in some way nonetheless. This leads to them looking like the baddies with a 0/-1 record, despite actually being tame. In the past I sometimes balanced a couple of those out with random "thumb ups" when I saw this, even though there was nothing noteworthy at the moment to applaud. Their karmatic record was just not fairly representing them. (rule nr.3 of the internet: Even if you are really good, the negativity always outweighs the positive sites.)

I think the current system is really not that good or representative with everyone being able to shift the record easily. I would say it doesn't really matter much anyway, but you often can't help to see this record under the avatar and still have a quick mental note about it. Even knowing that the system is no good, I need a conscious thought to reject the implication seen there, so it is not really ignorable either.
If pluses and minuses would only manifest once the same post has received applaud or smite by multiple people, now I think that could take a lot of randomness out of this. At least single persons cannot use it anymore to unload their personal grudges, and good/bad becomes more of a democratic consent which should be closer reflecting the truth.
People here don't use it much anyway, so it is not very important for the good, but it pains me to see these unjustified Minuses so often, and at least that would be healthy to get barred through these or some other means.

All of my applause came from one single post.  It was that good.  It's been about 3 years since.  It would appear that I was a one-hit wonder.
Now I am curious: Where what why? Did you make some useful tool or something? (I have only been around 2-2.5 years.)
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline xeryon

• Captain
Re:
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 05:20:20 PM »
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=4851.0

A bit short of 4 years ago.

Mine is slightly less complex but probably more disturbing.

My last game was named according to rooms of my house.  Primary system was Living Room.  Major inhabited bodies were Lazy-Boy, Sofa and Davenport.  Minor bodies were End Table, Ottoman and Book Shelf, next system was Dining Room, Bedroom and Kitchen and so on.  All of the ships in the game were class named as my pets names and the individual ships were named as body parts of the animal in question.  Major administrators and commanders were renamed as family member names.

I deleted that game.  While it was funny for a while I got a disturbing mental image when my Mother in Law was stationed on the Throne in the Front Bathroom system and Sparky's Penis kept having problems unloading cargo.

There is more.  I was on a roll at that time it would appear.  The karma system was enabled just because of my post.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
Re:
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 06:53:36 PM »
That post is a real gem. I probably got the neg from giving someone incorrect information, i should have gotten loads more this week alone.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re:
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 09:54:54 PM »
I have more smites then applause, but I'm not that bad of a guy... Am I?
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
Re:
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 10:03:32 PM »
We hate you.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline xeryon

• Captain
Re:
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 10:18:19 PM »
I have more smites then applause, but I'm not that bad of a guy... Am I?

Yes.  I gave you an applause just because your signature makes me smile.  I'm a fan of another common alternate as well: Give a man a fish and feed him for a day.  Teach a man to fish and you get rid of him for a whole weekend.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
Re:
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 10:24:03 PM »
I half remember one about making a man a miner etc, making a minor a man something about prison.    :s