Author Topic: Precursor ship behaviour  (Read 4021 times)

Offline Porjate (OP)

• Leading Rate
Precursor ship behaviour
« on: September 18, 2014, 08:03:56 AM »
I've noticed a pair of Precursor ships that are much faster than the rest in my campaign: despite being 9500 tons, they have an observed speed of 8842 km/s, which is much greater than the 4150 or so the other precursor ships travel at.  As soon as these two ships enter sensor range, they turn around and disappear entirely, hiding somewhere in the system.  At first I thought they were spotters, but considering they don't get closer than my maximum sensor range (Which out ranges any precursor sensors I've encountered) before disappearing, I've a feeling they are meant to be high speed combat ships which refuse to pass the active sensor limit.
I suspect they are also the cause of occasional interrupts, causing only 3 - 4 days to pass instead of 5.  I've had precursors get in amongst my civilian shipping lines before (Subsidies for everyone?) but these two seem to be darting around, avoiding my sensors and triggering interrupts on the civilian shipping without causing harm.
Is there any way apart from boarding I can find out what their components are? Or am I doomed to another decade of occasional interrupts while I research engine tech just to catch them?

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
Re: Precursor ship behaviour
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 08:12:04 AM »
It might be possible to trick them into combat. If you have your longest range sensor ships sensors turned off they might advance within missile range before encountering much shorter range sensors on other ships. Then you can turn on the long range sensors and get solid missile locks for long enough so the missiles can reach them.

Offline SteelChicken

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 08:22:13 AM »
I am pretty sure they are unarmed scouts.   I usually build ultra fast, light interceptors and run them down.

Offline Porjate (OP)

• Leading Rate
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 08:54:15 AM »
Quote from: alex_brunius link=topic=7495. msg75973#msg75973 date=1411045924
It might be possible to trick them into combat.  If you have your longest range sensor ships sensors turned off they might advance within missile range before encountering much shorter range sensors on other ships.  Then you can turn on the long range sensors and get solid missile locks for long enough so the missiles can reach them.

I did this, and they stumbled upon my fleet; 10 seconds later they were the newest wrecks in the system.  They still surprised me, though: their active sensor out-ranged my own, and I thought mine was far oversized compared to a standard sensor.  I have never encountered precursor scouts in my previous games, and had assumed they were all missile cruisers.  Although, in all my previous games I've never played enough to encounter anything but precursors. . .

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 02:17:12 PM »
Well the solution is simple : CARRIERS :) plus smegloads of fighters and AWACs ;P 9k km/s is impressive for warship but its still a sitting duck for even Ion engine fighter ;)
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline DuraniumCowboy

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • D
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 05:36:57 PM »
Concur on the recommendation for carriers, it will be pretty easy to hunt them down.  If you keep troop carrier with drop ship close by, you may even be able to disable them and board.