Author Topic: Time increment Adjustment  (Read 1686 times)

Offline majorT (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • m
Time increment Adjustment
« on: November 17, 2020, 06:25:43 AM »
Howdy all, I've been wondering about the time increment features and adjustments.  Currently I've got a 24 in game year game going, and now for about 2 in game days I've been stuck to 5 second intervals.  I've triple checked my fleets and no weapon systems are online or targeting anything however I still am getting a consistant 5 second interval.  I've tried using SM to see in the events what is causing this, but there isn't nothing coming up.  Any suggestions? Or should I regen a new game?  Thanks for any help in advance

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
Re: Time increment Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 10:12:12 AM »
Somebody is fighting somebody, but not very effectively.

Oh, and SM mode doesn't let you see information about spoilers or NPRs.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 10:14:44 AM by db48x »

The following users thanked this post: majorT

Offline majorT (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • m
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 10:14:47 AM »
Quote from: db48x link=topic=12074. msg143103#msg143103 date=1605629532
Somebody is fighting somebody, but not very effectively.

Oh god, how many more days will this endure  :P  Ive now reached day 4 in game of time adjustment being applied.  Would deleting NPR races help resolve this?

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 10:19:20 AM »
Oh god, how many more days will this endure  :P  Ive now reached day 4 in game of time adjustment being applied.  Would deleting NPR races help resolve this?

There's no simple way to delete an NPR. You could muck about in the database, but you'd risk breaking the game completely. Since the game will stop automatically once something happens that requires your attention, why not leave it going in the background and watch an episode of Babylon 5? That's almost the same subject…

Offline majorT (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • m
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 10:21:35 AM »
Quote from: db48x link=topic=12074. msg143105#msg143105 date=1605629960
Quote from: majorT link=topic=12074. msg143104#msg143104 date=1605629687
Oh god, how many more days will this endure  :P  Ive now reached day 4 in game of time adjustment being applied.   Would deleting NPR races help resolve this?

There's no simple way to delete an NPR.  You could muck about in the database, but you'd risk breaking the game completely.  Since the game will stop automatically once something happens that requires your attention, why not leave it going in the background and watch an episode of Babylon 5? That's almost the same subject…

I've started Star Trek: TNG for this exact reason haha.  Guess Ill keep at it and speeding through at 5 second intervals

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 10:48:11 AM »
Two common sources of really long 5 second intervals are:
1. NPRs chasing each other through a stabilized jump point. This will NEVER end, because ships can standard transit with no delay. What happens is a ship sees a threat, so it runs away through the jump point. So the other ships follow. So it runs back. They follow. At no point will they be able to fire (you have to wait on one side of the jump point with targets set, so that when they come BACK you shoot them). Transits require no fuel and NPRs do not use maintenance. This will continue indefinitely.

2. Orbital bombardment. It's wildly inaccurate so if an NPR decides to try to help its ground forces in this fashion, it may be stuck doing so for a very, very long time.

A good habit to get into is to place passive sensor buoys on every jump point (even in NPR territory...they won't mind). This allows you to notice both of these options. You can then do something about them. I've created a Spacemaster race with max tech, and I teleport super battlestations around to blow up the fleeing ship in case 1 or to provide additional fire support in case 2.

You can also open the database using DB Browser for SQLite. Look at the last rows of the FCT_GameLog table. That will help you figure out what is happening, at least. Spacemaster can't see the NPR's event logs, but the database DOES contain them.

The following users thanked this post: Noble713, DIT_grue, majorT, nuclearslurpee

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 03:28:43 PM »
Two common sources of really long 5 second intervals are:
1. NPRs chasing each other through a stabilized jump point. This will NEVER end, because ships can standard transit with no delay. What happens is a ship sees a threat, so it runs away through the jump point. So the other ships follow. So it runs back. They follow. At no point will they be able to fire (you have to wait on one side of the jump point with targets set, so that when they come BACK you shoot them). Transits require no fuel and NPRs do not use maintenance. This will continue indefinitely.

2. Orbital bombardment. It's wildly inaccurate so if an NPR decides to try to help its ground forces in this fashion, it may be stuck doing so for a very, very long time.

Beside that, actually the most common 5 second interval comes from forgetting to disengage MFC.

The following users thanked this post: Kristover