Author Topic: Launching AMM  (Read 2488 times)

Offline CarlMartin (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • C
Launching AMM
« on: May 24, 2011, 04:38:34 PM »
Hey again! Now I´m here with another one of my newbie problems. :)

Are there any special trick involving launching AMM?

I just lost my entire fleet just because I got hammered with missiles and my AMM didn´t even launch.

This is the design of my ship:

Code: [Select]
Star class class Cruiser    9 000 tons     1006 Crew     1668.4 BP      TCS 180  TH 270  EM 240
3000 km/s    JR 3-50     Armour 1-38     Shields 8-400     Sensors 10/16/0/0     Damage Control Rating 14     PPV 24
Annual Failure Rate: 46%    IFR: 0.6%    Maint Capacity 1622 MSP    Max Repair 506 MSP    Est Time: 3.23 Years
Magazine 184   

J9000(3-50) Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 9000 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 3
Ion Engine E7 (9)    Power 60    Fuel Use 70%    Signature 30    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 150 000 Litres    Range 42.9 billion km   (165 days at full power)
Gamma R400/14 Shields (4)   Total Fuel Cost  56 Litres per day

Size 4 Missile Launcher (5)    Missile Size 4    Rate of Fire 40
Size 1 Missile Launcher (4)    Missile Size 1    Rate of Fire 10
PD Missile Fire Control FC11-R1 (1)     Range 11.5m km    Resolution 1
Missile Fire Control FC57-R100 (1)     Range 57.6m km    Resolution 100
Size 4 Anti-ship Missile (37)  Speed: 24 000 km/s   End: 40.2m    Range: 57.9m km   WH: 4    Size: 4    TH: 128 / 76 / 38
Size 1 Anti-missile Missile Mk II (40)  Speed: 39 000 km/s   End: 5.5m    Range: 12.9m km   WH: 0    Size: 1    TH: 260 / 156 / 78

Active Search Sensor MR57-R100 (1)     GPS 7200     Range 57.6m km    Resolution 100
Active Search Sensor MR5-R1 (1)     GPS 72     Range 5.8m km    Resolution 1
Thermal Sensor TH2-10 (1)     Sensitivity 10     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  10m km
EM Detection Sensor EM2-16 (1)     Sensitivity 16     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  16m km

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

I have a PD missile control, several Size 1 launchers with missiles and sensors, and the launchers are connected to the Missile control. Have I missed anything critical?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Launching AMM
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 04:53:38 PM »
Depending on the speed of the incoming missiles, it is entirely possible they are outside detection range and in the next 5 second pulse impacting the ships. You might work on increasing the range of your AMM sensor to at least 2x the AMM range.

Offline CarlMartin (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 05:04:39 PM »
Thanks for the answer Erik!

That could be the answer and I will change the sensor range in my next game. 
This game is sure complicated.

Are there any guides for firing missiles so I can avoid any other mistake in the future?

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 05:32:25 PM »
The ranges look fine, description of 5million km on the class screen should be the size1 missile detection - right?

When you were setting up the fire controls did you set the PD range and number of AMMs to fire per incoming ASM?

i.e. 4 AMMs per 1 ASM, range of 500 (I think 500 would equate to 5million?)

Offline CarlMartin (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 05:41:12 PM »
I believe I used two AMM per AMS.
And used the suggested range, but I don´t remember what it was (actually I didn´t know exactly how the range thing worked).
But it was just strange since even if I pushed the set button I didn´t see any confirmation what I had done (Should it be shown somewhere?).

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 07:16:41 PM »
The range that shows on the ship description will detect a size 1 hull space target.  That would be a size 20 missile target.  Currently the only way to see how far you can detect small missiles is when you design the sensor.  If you need to check back the easiest way is to design the sensor again, just don't create or reasearch it.  This will show you the relative detection ranges.

Brian

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 07:33:12 AM »
I think its also a good idea to have your AMM ships not set to auto fire as that seems to cause a lot of problems. As long as the fire control is set to PD mode they will fire automatically when the missiles come in range.

I agree that the 5.8m k on the size one active is very short to be of much use although you should have still detected them at about 2m k which would normally give you enough time to fire.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 07:37:25 AM »
One thing I haven't seen you post is how you had the PDMOde set. 
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline CarlMartin (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 10:11:46 AM »
That´s a part I´m not quite understand yet.

In this picture I tried to recreate the situation. The missiles was linked to a missile control.
But whenever I tried to appoint a PD Mod (Two missiles per ASM) to my PD Missile control and I pushed the set mode button nothing particular happened. And when I later return to the Combat settings the mode for SFC was return to the original.
So I guess that is somewhere here I could have failed, but I can´t figure out what I did wrong.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 10:58:40 AM »
There is a better screen for setting firecontrols, on the system view screen there is a crosshair/targeting button along the top. Click this and then choose the system that your ship/fleet is in. All ships within the selected system are shown on the left.

Drill down in that tree until you find your ship and then click on it. The right hand side gets populated with firecontrols etc.

Select the AMM firecontrol and then select all the AMM launchers - click assign. Then assign the actual AMMs to those launchers. Whilst still selecting the AMM firecontrol you then choose the number of AMMs per ASM in the top right, also enter the distance and then click set.

I'm on the iPhone and typing from memory else I'd screenshot for you.

Do not click on auto assign firecontrol, it wnot work for a multi purpose ship.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 11:25:56 AM »
The screen that Beersatron is talking about ths the Battle Control Window (F8).  Autofire only works for single purpose ships, and it does not work at all for point defense.  Any ship with autofire set will automatically take all fire control off of point defense mode.  I often go to this screen when I have the first ship in a class built.  I then assign all the weapons and eccm to fire control's and set the point defense setting.  Especially for beam weapons there is no reason not to do so.  Then every few months or before a likely battle I can go back to that screen, select the first ship and use the copy assign buttons on the far right.  This way all ships of a class have a default fire control setup.  It really helps if you are hit by a missile salvo by suprise as your point defense will fire.  Also on the screen are a couple of buttons to help with targeting enemys.  On the far right the are the copy target buttons which let you set multiple ships of the same class the same target, and the multiple target same location button.  The last is really usefull against lots of small enemy ships.  Set the fire control's that you think will give enough damage to cripple or destroy your target, then hit the button and all other ships from the same class will assign the fire controls indicated to different targets of the same class.  This should help against enemies like the swarm.

Good Luck
Brian

Offline CarlMartin (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 03:38:08 PM »
I had missed that page :o
Thank you for bringing it to my attention.
Things will sure be a bit more easier now.

And thanks for that tips Brian, I´m sure that will be useful.

I hope I´m a few steps closer to my first successful space battle.

Well, time to start over again. :)

Offline LtWarhound

• Chief Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 08:34:34 PM »
When you are about to go into a fight, stop.  Back up the game in progress (simply make a copy of the Stevefire.mdb file) and then do the fight.  Something goes wrong, replace the current Stevefire.mdb with the copy, and try again.  Once you are confident you can do the fight, then you can stop following this procedure, but until then, this should help learn how things work (or don't).

I use dedicated Aegis class point defense destroyers for fleet operations, and once the settings are taken care of in the F8 screen, they work well.  Ideally, the range of the AMM ASS needs to be long enough to let you engage at sufficient range to get multiple intercepts on the same salvo, which is also dependent on the speed of your AMM.  For me, a sensor that spots them at 2m km is adequate, with an AMM speed in the 28,000 k/s to 35,000 k/s range.  I also recommend the 3 AMM per missile PD setting, 4 tends to overkill too much, 2 tends to let missile leak through too much.  I expect I'll swap to the 2/1 setting after I get my missile tech up high enough.

Offline CarlMartin (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 03:39:38 PM »
Thanks for those tips as well.
I will try out this and be sure to make a copy before the fight.
Usually I don´t like to do that, but I guess I can make an exception so I can learn the basic in fighting. It´s a bit tough to raise a new fleet or even start over just because I didn´t understand it all-