Author Topic: Honorverse conversion  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Texashawk (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
Honorverse conversion
« on: June 19, 2011, 10:21:29 PM »
Hello,

I know this probably goes under 'Scenarios' but that forum seems almost dead so I thought I'd put something here. It seems like one could adapt a great deal of the Honorverse using the Aurora engine (assuming some translation of hyperverse for jump points). Has anyone thought about trying something like that? Or if so, is an 'Honorverse' start somewhere out there, waiting to be downloaded? I think it would be tremendously entertaining and challenging, but YMMV. Especially with the variable levels of technology - Manti tech could be smaller and more advanced (ECM, sensors, missiles) and Peeps tech could be larger but more sturdy. Don't know how you'd simulate the X-ray laser warheads (and their damage profile) within the Aurora engine, but... I don't know, what do y'all think? Worthy project?

Offline jseah

• Captain
  • j
Re: Honorverse conversion
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 11:34:41 PM »
A keystone mechanic in the Honorverse is the ability for ECM to disguise a ship's emission profile.  That's not possible. 

Another one is that the Honorverse uses acceleration, Aurora uses speed. 
That changes everything about the tactics. 

Offline Texashawk (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 01:04:38 AM »
Yeah, I hear you about the acceleration. In fact, the whole impeller wedge mechanic would be problematic (especially considering gravity effects) The ECM might be able to 'kludge' by creating an ECM drone, but you'd still have to have a way to (mis)represent the mass of the ship you were trying to pass off as.

I really wish there was a good tactical-level, deep, military space combat simulator. What I REALLY want is Attack Vector:Tactical:The Computer Edition, I guess.

Offline Bgreman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 03:45:49 AM »
I really wish there was a good tactical-level, deep, military space combat simulator. What I REALLY want is Attack Vector:Tactical:The Computer Edition, I guess.

I've been working on a computer adaptation of the AV:T rules on and off for about 1.5 years now.

On another note, aside from Aurora (which is incredible), I'd suggest perhaps Nexus: The Jupiter Incident.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 11:10:26 AM »
Honorverse mechanics do not translate to Aurora very well, there are just too many fundimental differences.  Reactionless vs DeltaV being just a small example.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley