Author Topic: 6 hours increments  (Read 2775 times)

Offline Thrake (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
6 hours increments
« on: June 18, 2020, 06:19:04 PM »
This is going for months. Is there anything I can do about it?

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
Re: 6 hours increments
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 06:44:26 PM »
It might NPRs fighting with each other, in which case there isn't much you can do.

It might also be your own fire controls looking for targets, so it might be worth checking that all of your unneeded fire controls are off.
Open the pod-bay doors HAL...

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 07:23:33 PM »
It might NPRs fighting with each other, in which case there isn't much you can do.

It might also be your own fire controls looking for targets, so it might be worth checking that all of your unneeded fire controls are off.

In both of these cases he would be stuck in 5 sec increments not 6 hour.

I recommend checking "show all events" on the events tab, you may have hidden some interrupt event that is firing.

The following users thanked this post: Thrake

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 08:17:31 PM »

In both of these cases he would be stuck in 5 sec increments not 6 hour.

I recommend checking "show all events" on the events tab, you may have hidden some interrupt event that is firing.

6 hour isn't a valid increment in either case? Pretty sure your options are 3 hours or 8 hours.
Open the pod-bay doors HAL...

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 08:37:03 PM »

In both of these cases he would be stuck in 5 sec increments not 6 hours.

6 hour isn't a valid increment in either case? Pretty sure your options are 3 hours or 8 hours.

6 hours isn't an increment you can pick however if you pick an increment size that is greater than 8 and some sort of interrupt fires the game can start to progress the game in 6 hour chunks. For example, if a fleet completes its movement orders in 15.5 days and you pick a 30 day increment the game will progress the 15.5 days. In this example the event "orders complete" adjusts your increment size to 15.5 days. Something similar is probably happening here like a hidden "pickup failed" that keeps progressing the game in 6 hour chunks. Not sure if "pickup failed" is a good example but you get my point.

You've also got "imminent action" interrupts which are related to combat e.g active FCs without targets, enemy weapons discharge that will usually auto-adjust your increment size to 5 secs.

Point is, 6 hour increments are a result of something going on in the player empire, the events log with "show all events" checked will show it pretty well. I find it unlikely that NPR vs. NPR combat would reduce to 6 hours, I would expect 5 seconds.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 08:53:12 PM »

6 hours isn't an increment you can pick however if you pick an increment size that is greater than 8 and some sort of interrupt fires the game can start to progress the game in 6 hour chunks. For example, if a fleet completes its movement orders in 15.5 days and you pick a 30 day increment the game will progress the 15.5 days. In this example the event "orders complete" adjusts your increment size to 15.5 days. Something similar is probably happening here like a hidden "pickup failed" that keeps progressing the game in 6 hour chunks. Not sure if "pickup failed" is a good example but you get my point.

You've also got "imminent action" interrupts which are related to combat e.g active FCs without targets, enemy weapons discharge that will usually auto-adjust your increment size to 5 secs.

Point is, 6 hour increments are a result of something going on in the player empire, the events log with "show all events" checked will show it pretty well. I find it unlikely that NPR vs. NPR combat would reduce to 6 hours, I would expect 5 seconds.
6 hours indicates ground combat in progress.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 08:54:11 PM »

6 hours indicates ground combat in progress.

Hadn't thought of that, but isn't ground combat in 8 hour increments? Either way this is probably whats happening

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 09:37:01 PM »
Hadn't thought of that, but isn't ground combat in 8 hour increments? Either way this is probably whats happening
You are correct.  I'm not sure where I got 6 from.  Sorry.

Offline Thrake (OP)

• T
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 01:52:12 AM »

Good idea, but most of my log entries are empty. This is also what confuse me, I don't understand what is causing this for so long. NPR xenocide happens from time to time but then I just let the computer run for a while.

Offline mike2R

• Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 03:43:13 AM »
I've not had it in C#, but in VB6 I've had things like this that were caused by an unarmed or out of ammo AI ship, in a system that I had a presence in.

The AI would move to a point where it was able to detect my ship on its sensors, which caused the interrupt, but didn't give a message because my ship couldn't detect it back. 

And once it saw my ship it would move away since it had no way to attack it.  Then it would move back towards it again because its dumb.  Rinse and repeat.

Tended to happen in systems I'd cleared of Precursors.  Using SM mode to dump 10,000 tracking stations on a body is a way to check a system for it.

Offline Thrake (OP)

• T
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 05:06:51 AM »
I've not had it in C#, but in VB6 I've had things like this that were caused by an unarmed or out of ammo AI ship, in a system that I had a presence in.

The AI would move to a point where it was able to detect my ship on its sensors, which caused the interrupt, but didn't give a message because my ship couldn't detect it back. 

And once it saw my ship it would move away since it had no way to attack it.  Then it would move back towards it again because its dumb.  Rinse and repeat.

Tended to happen in systems I'd cleared of Precursors.  Using SM mode to dump 10,000 tracking stations on a body is a way to check a system for it.

Interesting.

I dumped tracking stations in every systems I had colonies, found a gravsurvey NPR ship that was not moving. Making him meet his maker did not solve my issue however. It has now been a year at 6 hours increments.

I will try to recall all my survey ships, perhaps there is another NPR ship causing issues somewhere.

Edit: No, the issue has still not been solved.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 05:23:14 AM by Thrake »

Offline Thrake (OP)

• T
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2020, 05:51:14 AM »
I deleted all my pops (other than Earth) and all my fleets but no change. I think it's fair to say that the issue does not come from something happening in my empire or an interaction with an NPR.

Offline mike2R

• Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2020, 05:51:47 AM »

Interesting.

I dumped tracking stations in every systems I had colonies, found a gravsurvey NPR ship that was not moving. Making him meet his maker did not solve my issue however. It has now been a year at 6 hours increments.

I will try to recall all my survey ships, perhaps there is another NPR ship causing issues somewhere.

That's a shame... 

Pretty much must be something happening between AIs then, and the 6 hour thing still makes it feel like its to do with detection to me...  I don't think combat could be that regular for that length of time.

I think C# still gives you the same sensor game options you got in VB6...?  The always detect without player presence, and no detection without player presence ones.  Maybe running the game with one of those for a chunk might clear it - push the AI into doing something else, or just blowing each other up and getting it over with.

Offline Thrake (OP)

• T
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2020, 06:04:13 AM »

Interesting.

That's a shame... 

Pretty much must be something happening between AIs then, and the 6 hour thing still makes it feel like its to do with detection to me...  I don't think combat could be that regular for that length of time.

I think C# still gives you the same sensor game options you got in VB6...?  The always detect without player presence, and no detection without player presence ones.  Maybe running the game with one of those for a chunk might clear it - push the AI into doing something else, or just blowing each other up and getting it over with.

Detection setting? Good idea. I tried to set it to none without player presence, click save settings, then play game and when I check the settings again it is normal detection mode again.

Offline mike2R

• Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2020, 06:12:24 AM »

Interesting.

That's a shame... 

Detection setting? Good idea. I tried to set it to none without player presence, click save settings, then play game and when I check the settings again it is normal detection mode again.

God how frustrating...!  Apart from trying manual database edits, I can't think of anything else - you've eliminated systems you have any vision over being the cause of the problem, so i don't know of any other way you can effect whatever is causing the issue.