Author Topic: CIWS  (Read 1464 times)

Offline UnLimiTeD (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • U
CIWS
« on: April 08, 2010, 12:31:26 PM »
I think the thread got lost, so I'll post it up again.

In Combat, with Automatic fire, the Firecontrol overtake the CIWS and use it as a regular weapon.
Is this meant to be that way, or an oversight?

Offline The Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • T
Re: CIWS
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 12:35:55 PM »
I didn't think CIWS *could* be used offensively at all - that's why they can be put on commercial ships.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
Quote from: "UnLimiTeD"

In Combat, with Automatic fire, the Firecontrol overtake the CIWS and use it as a regular weapon.

In Combat, with Automatic fire, the Firecontrol overtake every weapon and use them offensively.  If this is not what you wish to happen, don't use Automatic Fire.

Autofire is like the cruise control on vehicle, not the automatic pilot on a jet airliner.  It does one small, very specific thing and if that's not exactly what you want done you shouldn't use it.  Autofire is not 'the default setting' and it shouldn't be your first reaction to combat.  Autofire is not (and absolutely should not be) a system for picking the 'best' targets - it is purely an aid for assigning a large number of targets to a large number of fire controls.

In my opinion, unless you're facing the Star Swarm (or PR/NPR 'swarm' of fighters/gunboats) you shouldn't be using autofire at all.

Yes, Aurora needs a better (or at least, more efficient) system for assigning targets to fire controls.  'Copy fire' helps if you're only dealing with a few targets, but when you have dozens of weapons and dozens of targets - especially targets that are destroyed in a few hits - battles become very tedious.  This, however, needs to be an entirely different system from 'NPR fire control AI' and that AI needs to be inaccessible to the players (or at least SM Mode).  Players ought to be controlling their own ships, not having Aurora fight itself with their designs.

If the CIWS is actually firing offensively that's a bug - even if it's not, it should probably be excluded from being assigned to ANY fire control, by any means.  It has its own built-in version.

Offline The Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 12:46:28 AM »
I'm not sure what's so horrible about 'letting Aurora fight itself with one's own designs'.  Sounds to me like a play preference more than anything else - some people are more strategically minded, and don't want to deal with the tactics.

In the Space Empires games, I always used 'strategic' battles rather than tactical ones, personally.

EDIT:  And certainly the degree of tedium Aurora requires to assign all the fire controls only reinforces that preference.

Offline UnLimiTeD (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 06:00:06 AM »
You know, using the autofire button next to cease fire will just assign the firecontrols targets, without changing assigned weapons, and not overriding PD settings if missiles are inbound, so that is a good alternative.

The point was purely about the CIWS, it must not be used as an offensive weapon because a dual gauss turret 50% is already bigger than an equal CIWS, your not only getting an emergency AM system, you also save space on your fleet point defense.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 12:53:38 PM »
Quote from: "UnLimiTeD"

No, its a bug. Fixed for v5.1

Steve