Author Topic: Hello and Questions  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Theodidactus (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
Hello and Questions
« on: August 01, 2011, 09:45:11 PM »
Hello, my name is theo, I was introduced to this game through a friend.    I must say,I'm glad the internet is leading me to games I actually enjoy.   .   .   I'm growing bored of twitchy shooters and eye-candy graphics.   .   .   I like games that are like toyboxes, this certainly fits the bill.   

If you don't mind, I have a few questions:

1: This game is primarily a diversion for me whilst I while away a year or two at graduate school.   .   .   I want to produce a very long game with a detailed history (which I will probably keep to myself).    I don't intend on playing much per day (an hour.   .   .   tops) but I'd like to keep a single game running for a while.    I notice that after 30 years or so, the game starts to slow down.    I'm mostly looking at tips for how to avoid this, because I intend on playing a slow, centuries-long game.   

2: The easiest way to bypass this, it would seem, is to shut down alien races entirely.    If I set the number of NPR's generated at the beginning of the game to "0", will they still appear when I discover systems? Will THEY slow the game down?  How does the star swarm factor into this?

3: I've seen a few players suggesting the possibility of civil wars within their own vast interstellar empire.   .   .   really a cool idea, I'd like to try it.    How are folks pulling this off?

4: I assume there are people here who have already played games to 2125 and beyond.   .   .   are there any problems with doing this that I should know about? I'd hate to get six months in to an epic game and then have to give it up.    What new and interesting challenges do you give your civilization? The more flavorful the suggestion, the better.   

Anyways, This game and I are a match made in heaven.   .   .   so glad I found it, and kudos to whoever built it.   
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 09:53:18 PM by Theodidactus »
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Tarran

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
Re: Hello and Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 10:36:48 PM »
2: Yes, they will still appear as long as their generation chance is >0. All NPRs slow down the game. I'm unsure of the SS, but I'd imagine they slow down the game too.

3: As far as I know, it's not possible in the current version or the upcoming version.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 10:53:35 PM »
I have not had much trouble.  I'm 80 years in so far, and it goes... REASONABLY fast.  There is 1 or 2 NPRs, and most everything else does its own thing.  I def. suggest setting to zero and let them appear as you meet them.  Explore in one direction at a time.  When you meet an alien, STOP.  If you go a warmongering route-- well, they won't slow it down much.  Cuz they be D-E-D-dead.  Turn off invaders, at first.  You can turn them on later for a fun event in your written history.

As near as I can tell, what has slowed me down the most is my civilian industry.  They have hundreds of ships.  I've addressed this in part by stopping them from building most vessels, except for quite large, quite expensive vessels.  They buy them infrequently as each one is a major investment, but each can move larger amounts of cargo.

I would reccomend that every time you upgrade your freighters, add another 10 cargo spaces.  Mine go in jumps from 5, 15, and now 25.  (but those big ones are, as I said, really expensive at 100kt each with big ol' honkin engines, CIWS anti missile tech, and armor).

ALSO:  SAVE  A LOT.

The database is quirky.  Full o' quirks.  if you back up at least 3 times per session, and before exploring a new system, you can avoid lots of buggyness.  I suggest a few nasty ugly games at first while you figure out really how to play-- being terrible at the game and playing it wrong i managed to fry the database a couple times.  I keep six backed up copies of the database on file at all times, overwriting in sequence.  This is done by CTRL+C CTRL+V ing the database and placeing them in different directories (mine are labeled 1-5)

ALSO:  whats your field in g school.  I finish G school in 10 days, chemistry.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 10:57:49 PM by Thiosk »

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 10:59:17 PM »
oh yeah. . . I was gonna ask about that.  Where is "the database" located on my computer?
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 11:19:43 PM »
oh yeah. . . I was gonna ask about that.  Where is "the database" located on my computer?

In the game install directory. File is stevefire.mdb

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 11:28:33 PM »
Quote from: Thiosk link=topic=3884. msg37589#msg37589 date=1312257215

ALSO:  whats your field in g school.   I finish G school in 10 days, chemistry.

librarian

I do love chemistry though

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 01:16:14 AM »
Welcome in our CrazyOne Universe,Theo.

before u commence a "serious" Campaign,.better u made some "test" games.

We waitn a 5.50 version,a good immprovement mainly in "Colony" management..and some other bugs.

So,again,welcome and good luck "out there"..

(my english are funny..apologize,am not "native" on earth--:XD)

Offline Peter Rhodan

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 04:49:55 AM »
I am over 2100 explored over 250 systems - I have 4 'found' NPRs I think - may be 5 now - over 40 pop colonies and nearly 200 mining colonies....
this is the farthest I have ever got - save regularly - early on do it before any engagement or when you research some new important tech like an engine upgrade
Later on I backup every 6 months regardless and before any major engagement (normally - forgot before the one I am in now - bugger)
There are a lot things I haven't used or am about to try for the first time - like mines, stealth and aggressive PDCs - but that is part of the fun!