Author Topic: Update on Progress  (Read 255078 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Update on Progress
« Reply #330 on: August 31, 2019, 10:11:55 AM »
As a result of ongoing ground combat, I've made three changes to the ground combat rules.

1) Ground Combat happens every 8 hours.

2) If ships are assigned to provide ground support or orbital bombardment support and, due to losses, the supported formation no longer has sufficient Forward Fire Direction capability to control all supporting ships, then one or more ships, starting with the smallest, will automatically change to support other formations in the same engagement that do have available FFD capacity. This is to avoid the micromanagement of manually changing support when FFD units are lost. You can still manually override for key decisions.

3) When you design a ground unit class, you can designate it as a 'Non-Combat Class'. A class with this designation suffers an 80% penalty to hit and any hostile unit selecting targets treats this unit as 80% smaller. This could be used for supply vehicles, HQs, FFD units, etc. It is intended to simulate the type of unit that will actively avoid combat and is therefore much less likely to be chosen as a target. This applies regardless of field position.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 10:27:11 AM by Steve Walmsley »

The following users thanked this post: Garfunkel, SpikeTheHobbitMage, DIT_grue, joansam

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #331 on: August 31, 2019, 12:06:58 PM »
Supply, Xenoarcheology, Construction, STO/CIWS and Survey units? I can believe those as Non-Combat even if it's a little thin for Supply units. It can even be argued for HQ units above a certain size, which includes most sizes you are likely to see in Aurora.

But FFD? Those guys are supposed to be close to the fighting, to give the best and most accurate targeting data possible. There's a reason it's considered a very dangerous job.

Also, for automatic FFD assignment, would it be possible to have the game automatically assign the biggest number/caliber of beam weapons to the most forward on the front line's FFD units and have it work its way down the list until it either runs out of ships/fighters with a bombardment assignment or FFDs?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 12:08:49 PM by Hazard »

Offline Desdinova

• Lt. Commander
  • D
« Reply #332 on: August 31, 2019, 12:42:22 PM »
I was poking through the changes list and saw references to plans for active jamming and passive stealth technologies. Do you still plan to include those? It'd also be cool to have deployable decoys, like chaff launchers.

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #333 on: September 18, 2019, 06:03:09 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10096.  msg116166#msg116166 date=1567164629
A quick performance update. 

I am about 12 years into my current campaign.   There are two NPRs, plus some active precursors.   
There are 154 systems with a total of 13,000 system bodies.   Orbital movement is on, including asteroids. 
There are 788 ships in 337 fleets, including 156 civilian fleets.   262 of those fleets are under AI control. 
There are 70 populations. 

C# Aurora does everything that VB6 does, plus all the new functionality. 

A 1-day increment is taking 1.  3 seconds. 
A 5-day construction turn is taking 1.  7 seconds

This is on a PC that was good three years ago :)  I am also running in debug mode, which is probably a little slower than normal. 

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but how is C# in terms of thread utilisation?

Are there things like orbital calculations for different systems being handled simultaneously on different threads, or is it done more sequentially on a single thread?

Kind of curious if Aurora C# will benefit purely from pure single core clock speed, or if core count will actually play a bigger factor in performance.
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, University Commencement

Offline Froggiest1982

• Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #334 on: September 18, 2019, 10:34:23 PM »
But... what about saving times? Still 30 seconds or so?

Yes, still 30+ seconds That isn't too bad when you consider that is shorter than a single increment in VB6. TBH I haven't found it to be a problem, or I would have done something about it by now :)

I may take another look at that at some point but it isn't a priority at the moment.

I don't think it's a problem, I mean at the end of the day you'll have to save once you are going to close the app or if you are pondering a decision that may impact your save. I would say that if you can keep it under the minute it's fine.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #335 on: September 19, 2019, 03:16:23 AM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10096.  msg116166#msg116166 date=1567164629
A quick performance update. 

I am about 12 years into my current campaign.   There are two NPRs, plus some active precursors.   
There are 154 systems with a total of 13,000 system bodies.   Orbital movement is on, including asteroids. 
There are 788 ships in 337 fleets, including 156 civilian fleets.   262 of those fleets are under AI control. 
There are 70 populations. 

C# Aurora does everything that VB6 does, plus all the new functionality. 

A 1-day increment is taking 1.  3 seconds. 
A 5-day construction turn is taking 1.  7 seconds

This is on a PC that was good three years ago :)  I am also running in debug mode, which is probably a little slower than normal. 

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but how is C# in terms of thread utilisation?

Are there things like orbital calculations for different systems being handled simultaneously on different threads, or is it done more sequentially on a single thread?

Kind of curious if Aurora C# will benefit purely from pure single core clock speed, or if core count will actually play a bigger factor in performance.

It is single threaded. I looked at multi-threading but decided the downsides outweighed the benefits. Aurora is mainly procedural so most elements can't run simultaneously, which means the opportunity for MT is low. Detection and orbital movement could be done using MT, but the latter is really fast anyway and the former would require sharing data across threads so I don't duplicate IDs, etc.

MT adds an overhead per thread, so you need to gain enough performance to overcome the overhead, plus it can create bugs that are very hard to find. I've learned that simple and robust is usually better than complex and elegant :)

The following users thanked this post: punchkid, Tikigod

Offline Impassive

• Gold Supporter
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #336 on: September 19, 2019, 03:20:30 AM »
How is the overall bug hunting and diplomacy going?

Also looking forward to next update of your AAR :)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #337 on: September 19, 2019, 05:58:00 AM »

I haven't actually done any programming for the last week or two due to an obsession with Roguetech :)

I'm about 18 months further ahead in the campaign than the AAR updates. A rather powerful incarnation of the Swarm has popped up in one system, although no direct encounter yet. Interesting times ahead I suspect.

The following users thanked this post: Bremen, clement, Zincat, bro918, Up_down66, punchkid

Offline jonw

• Chief Petty Officer
  • j
« Reply #338 on: September 19, 2019, 02:45:52 PM »

I haven't actually done any programming for the last week or two due to an obsession with Roguetech :)

I saw you post in the roguetech subreddit and definitely thought, well there go any c# updates for a while! 8 mechs is a hell of a drug.

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #339 on: October 02, 2019, 10:07:00 PM »
Almost every evening, get back from work and drop in hoping for that oh so wonderful "Hey, here's a C# build to play around with, get familiar and drop off posts on any problems with stability on differing hardware".

Know it's unlikely to happen anytime this year at this point, but yet still do in and every time the forums is loading up there's that warm fuzzy hope.   ;D
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, University Commencement

The following users thanked this post: bugkill

Offline Rabid_Cog

• Commander
« Reply #340 on: October 03, 2019, 02:41:59 AM »
Almost every evening, get back from work and drop in hoping for that oh so wonderful "Hey, here's a C# build to play around with, get familiar and drop off posts on any problems with stability on differing hardware".

Know it's unlikely to happen anytime this year at this point, but yet still do in and every time the forums is loading up there's that warm fuzzy hope.   ;D

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment"
Quite fitting since Steve is busy with a not-WH40k game. Personally I would settle for another episode of fiction, though I understand the appeal of Roguetech  ;D
I have my own subforum now!
Shameless plug for my own Aurora story game:
5.6 part: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,4988.0.html
6.2 part: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,5906.0.html

Feel free to post comments!
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,5452.0.html

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #341 on: October 05, 2019, 06:52:06 AM »
I know updates to both C# and AAR have been very light lately. It is due to a combination of work, illness (nothing serious) and Roguetech. The next few weeks probably won't see any improvement due to social and work commitments, but things should be back to normal by late October.

The following users thanked this post: Bremen, Garfunkel, Neophyte, Zincat, snapto, lord of waffles, bro918, Up_down66, punchkid

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #342 on: October 05, 2019, 03:53:07 PM »
A very easy way to guess C# ETA is to look at upcoming W40K games.  :)

Necromunda: Underhive Wars, Release Date TBC
 :(

The tea leaves don't look promising today. I'll check tomorrow.

The following users thanked this post: lord of waffles

Offline lord of waffles

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • l
« Reply #343 on: October 07, 2019, 07:34:27 PM »
So like the release date of Dwarf Fortress on Steam.

Offline tobijon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • t
« Reply #344 on: October 08, 2019, 11:50:08 AM »
So like the release date of Dwarf Fortress on Steam.
or like the release of dwarf fortress in general