Author Topic: Designing a good anti-ship missile ship. Also, effective beam point-defense?  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Jacob/Lee (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • (Where I got this .gif beats me!)
I am trying to create a good anti-ship missile ship. I realized that, versus these aliens I'm stuck in a war (and a war of attrition, at times) with, using my laser-armed ships even with 1.4m km range against their missiles is like bringing a knife to a sniper rifle fight. I've been fortunate enough to be able to outrun these bastards and eventually run them down, but it's only a matter of time before they come knocking with gas core anti-matter. Since I am still pretty wet behind the ears about effective combat and ship designs, I am turning to you for help. I have a few questions to start off, what good is a size 8 nuclear missile versus ships? I have about 1000 of these sitting on Earth with an extremely experimental missile ship design. I am looking for a missile ship that has good range and the missile that is used to fight ships can be interchanged with a bombardment missile that can flatten enemy colonies and cripple the industry. So yeah, beyond that you can go crazy. Assume I can get/have tech that an empire that's been around for 60 years will have. I would look at the Bureau or the wiki but I am looking to know how to design my own good missile ships (and combat ships in general) after this.

Also, what is a good setup for anti-missile beam weapons that isn't CIWSs?

I'm not trying to kill you guys with questions, honest.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
For missiles my general rule of thumb is 1/2 engines, enough agility to hit the speed your general targets are going at and a warhead strength sized on the square of the whole numbers.  This would be warheads of strength 4, 9, 16, 25, 36, ect.  The reason for this is that this is the point where you will penetrate another level of armor.   Enough fuel to go at least 50mkm, and for your tech level probably more like 150-200mkm.  Any remaining missile size points (msp)I will usually put in to either sensors (thermal) or defenses.  If they don't seem to have enough eccm or it of a lower tech than yours on their ships for all of their fire control then missile ecm can make a big difference.  For a bombardment missile I would use a drone and multiple submunitions with about a 50mkm range.  The purpose here is to have a really long range bus and then lots of small missiles that saturate their point defense and get through that way.  Missile armor only really works for really big missiles as you don't get any benifit from high tech with it.

For a point defense missile my standard is a 1 msp missile.  .5 msp is engine, .01msp is fuel and a warhead strength of 1.  the rest is agility.  If your tech is high enough this will give you a agility over 100.  In which case split the excess points to warhead/engine/fuel.  A tiny bit of extra fuel will make for a big range difference, but the faster speed helps as well.  The extra warhead just is nice when shooting at small ships/gunboats/fighters.  I will often also make a design of missile with less agility, more range and a bigger warhead that can hit fighters or be used to shoot at ships if there are no incomming missiles to swat.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
For a beam weapon pd I prefer either lasers or mesons.  Depending on which you have been researching will be the defining point.  Mesons work really well against ships as well, but are shorter ranged.  In either case go with the 10-15cm sized weapons as they are small enough to mount lots of them.  Put them in turrets that have a tracking speed as least as good as your beam weapon tracking speed x4.  Have a point defense specific beam fire control that is x1 range, x4 speed.  If it is a really big ship and you can afford the space put in a 16hs x4 range, x4 speed fire control.  Generally I will have no more than 9 weapons per fire control, either 2 quad turrets or 3 tripple turrets, my normal however is 2 tripple turrets per fire control.  This way if there are lots of small salvo's they don't saturate your available fire control.  Both of these options are if you want a secondary beam weapon for shooting at ships if they get close.  If all you are worried about is missiles then use gauss cannons in turrets.  Generally twin turrets are all I use for higher tech given their high rate of fire and 1 turret per fire control.  This is a space hog however and doesn't leave you much to work with against ships.  Personal favorite is mesons with 15cm beams that fire every 5 seconds as this has a decent range for anti-ship work and will just cut up an enemy ship as mesons ignore their shields and armor. 

Don't forget to assign all of your pd to final fire control (not self) as this maximizes the one shot they will get.

Good Luck
Brian