Author Topic: Is there a stockpile limit on the planets/asteroids/moons?  (Read 1620 times)

Offline shireknight (OP)

• Petty Officer
I set up some automated mines on Mars and a Mass driver and pretty quickly it started sending resources back to Earth however days later I noticed it was still sending resources but Earth was no longer receiving them, is this because Earth's stockpile is now full and can no longer accept resources from external locations? I've now turned off the Mass driver and Mars is stockpiling resources, will Mars be able to hold all the minerals I dig up or will It at some point reach a stockpile limit?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Is there a stockpile limit on the planets/asteroids/moons?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 03:36:07 PM »
There is no stockpile limit on any colony, unless it is based on the type of number that it is saved as.  This would be pretty high however, like 10^8th power or so, I doubt you will hit this anytime soon.

Brian 

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 04:15:18 PM »
Here is what Access has to say about the datatype:

Currency values and numeric data used in mathematical calculations involving data with one to four decimal places. Accurate to 15 digits on the left side of the decimal separator and to 4 digits on the right side.

So, the limit would be just under 1 quintillion - ~1,000,000,000,000,000.

I know of no reason why Earth would stop receiving sent packets. How did you determine this was the case?

Offline shireknight (OP)

• Petty Officer
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 04:22:53 PM »
Because I was adding mines to Mars and the Martian Mass driver column under Mining/Maintenance tab showed material was being sent and at first the Earth tab showed it was being received but then suddenly the Martian tab showed it was still being sent but Earth's tab said nothing at all was being received, even though the amount Mars was sending was slowly rising. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 04:27:59 PM by shireknight »

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 05:08:01 PM »
You dont happen to have a anomalous drop of population number on earth right? If you lose population you dont have actually enough massdrivers to catch all the packages thus you actually drop rocks on your guys ... from space ... with 1000 Km/s. 
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 05:39:14 PM »
New versions of the game should forbid crashing populations with mass drivers... and a single mass driver is sufficient to catch all minerals.

Are you certain the minerals aren't getting there?

Offline shireknight (OP)

• Petty Officer
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 05:45:22 PM »
Hmm I'm just about to start tonight's session so I'll start the shipments back up and check again.

Offline shireknight (OP)

• Petty Officer
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 06:01:04 PM »
Yep 100% positive, I've just run the game for four months and as you can see Mars is sending out 10 Mercassium plus other minerals every month

hxxp: i3.   photobucket.   com/albums/y77/Shireknight/Mine1.   jpg

Yet earth is receiving nothing through it's Mass driver

hxxp: i3.     photobucket.     com/albums/y77/Shireknight/Mine2.     jpg

Hmm forum won't let me post links to my pictures

Ok basically in the Mass driver column of Mars it says -6. 2 Duranium and in Earth's Mass driver column it just says 0 all the way down.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 06:11:38 PM by shireknight »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 07:09:17 PM »
Yep 100% positive, I've just run the game for four months and as you can see Mars is sending out 10 Mercassium plus other minerals every month

hxxp: i3.   photobucket.   com/albums/y77/Shireknight/Mine1.   jpg

Yet earth is receiving nothing through it's Mass driver

hxxp: i3.     photobucket.     com/albums/y77/Shireknight/Mine2.     jpg

Hmm forum won't let me post links to my pictures

Ok basically in the Mass driver column of Mars it says -6. 2 Duranium and in Earth's Mass driver column it just says 0 all the way down.

It's possible that when you've checked, packets are still in transit. Check the system map for packets.

Once you hit 10 posts, urls will not be munged anymore.

Offline shireknight (OP)

• Petty Officer
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 07:51:13 PM »
Bingo, you sir are a genius, I moved time forward very slowly and yep I did indeed see the mineral packets and Earth did acknowledge receiving them -thank you :-)