Author Topic: NPR jumping back and forth  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Bughunter (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
NPR jumping back and forth
« on: November 09, 2016, 10:22:56 AM »
Hostile NPR got around 8-9 ships on a jump point in my* system and I'm approaching with my fleet looking forward to a nice battle. But as soon as I got them in sensor range I see they are constantly jumping back and forth every 5 seconds. Seems they are jumping 7 ships always leaving at least one on each jump point end.

Apart from the amazing 5 sec jump cooldown it is mostly annoying since I cannot fire missiles at them and at least so far they have not reacted to me moving closer. Have turned my actives off while approaching to avoid the 5 sec interrupts. I realize hiding at a jump point is a good and total legit strategy to avoid a long range missile engagement, but I'm not sure this is what they are really doing.

Could the AI have got stuck in a conflicting order loop somehow?

*Still to be settled I guess

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: NPR jumping back and forth
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 10:56:35 AM »
If your missiles have active sensors you could fire at a waypoint on the JP which would then retarget to any visible ships once it reaches there.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 12:15:27 PM »
Its annoying as hell, and one of the main reasons I run active sensored missiles all the time.

Offline Bughunter (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 03:31:05 AM »
Its annoying as hell, and one of the main reasons I run active sensored missiles all the time.

This is what I was afraid of, will take my fleet back home and wait for my new line of missiles to finish.

Offline Bughunter (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 12:58:02 PM »
Got there and put a number of thermal sensor missiles on the jumppoint now. They can see the ships but I keep getting Target Lost messages and they never hit. Looks like they are jumping before the missiles can hit on every increment. This is starting to get really annoying.

Maybe I can just move in and kill them with my single laser armed ship since they seem to ignore both my ships and missiles so far.