Author Topic: Civillian contracts  (Read 1847 times)

Offline ExChairman (OP)

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Civillian contracts
« on: July 03, 2012, 10:23:53 AM »
I have several civillian contracts out for 2000 infrastructures, but no one is taking them, one is 4 jumps away and the longest 7 jumps, all via "star gates", but they all are using trade goods....
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 11:56:24 PM by ExChairman »
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline xeryon

• Captain
Re: Civillian contracts
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 10:31:30 AM »
The game limits you to 4 jumps or 5 jumps, I don't remember which, but it definitely will not deliver the 7 jump products.

Aside from a setup issue where you have supply and demand listing incorrect I don't know.
I could be wrong but it always seems to me that the civilian shipping doesn't like to deliver to a location with no other demands for stuff.  I always try to seed a new colony with a few deliveries of infrastructure and a few colonists to get things started.  I'm guess there is a cost benefit calculation there that the local trade goods are far too profitable to discontinue service on that is tripping up such a long shipping line.

Offline Scandinavian

• Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 01:46:43 PM »
AFAIK (and as far as I can tell from my own games) correctly specified civilian contracts override ordinary civilian shipping.

Setting up waypoints (infra from planet a to planet b, then b -> c, etc.  ad libitum) would both make the civvies more likely to understand the order, less likely to go haring off into contested space on a "shortcut" and give them more money (which means less need to micromanage them with subsidies).

Incidentally, a smarter civvie shipping algo would be very nice, because IMO civvie shipping should consider whether there are more profitable routes available before taking gov't contracts.  An offer setting, letting you specify how much you will pay for the consignment, would allow you to prioritize.  This would also let you have a standby of "carry stuff from Earth to Luna and back again" order for keeping your shipping lines running if they run out of profitable civvie trade goods.

Of course, this will still be quite dumb, because the number of pathfinding queries grows exponentially in the number of legs it has to look ahead.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 11:50:18 AM »
I have several civillian contracts out for 2000 infrastructures, but no one is taking them, one is 4 jumps away and the longets 7 jumps, all vial "star gates", but they all are using trade goods....
For contracts to work properly all colonies involved must have population.

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 03:13:37 PM »
Not so. I've used civilian contracts to move mass drivers to my asteroid mines before, which certainly had no population.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 04:06:56 PM »
It's not that they won't work, it's that they get super futzy and sometimes lock up your civilian ships.