Author Topic: NATO vs Soviets: Part 14  (Read 8253 times)

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: NATO vs Soviets: Part 14
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 05:48:34 AM »
This is an interesting idea, although one has to assume that if you have another group of fighters capable of overwhelming enemy missile defence with their missile swarm, then why not just bring twice as many of those fighters? At that point the beam-armed fighters are pretty much surplus to requirements.  Except for, as you say, extra PD and jump point defence.
The point of using the submunitios is that your standard fighter is probably going to have launchers in the size 3-6 range.  If you make a bus that is nothing but a housing for the submunitions then you can get 3-6 size 1 missiles with a speed of 2x that of your fighters, a 1 point warhead and enough fuel to be fired from behind the beam fighters.  While they will tend to absorb all of the defensive pd, they will do very little damage themselves.  If you are high enough tech to fit more into that size missile then armor them up.  Even a little armor will make killing them noticably harder and eat up a lot more pd missiles.

Brian

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 12:04:42 AM »
Really great stuff, Steve.  I just read all 14 parts in the last couple of days and learned a lot.

BTW, you make the very common mistake of using "succession" when you mean "secession".
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 01:00:35 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 01:00:52 AM »
Really great stuff, Steve.  I just read all 14 parts in the last couple of days and learned a lot.

BTW, you make the very common mistake of using "succession" when you mean "secession".

A very good point. Thanks for spotting that. I'll find and replace in the original Word document and update the affected posts.

Steve

Offline Vulcanphsyco

• Leading Rate
  • V
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2011, 06:42:43 AM »
Hope you'll still be continuing this even with the new patch.  :)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 03:14:31 AM »
Hope you'll still be continuing this even with the new patch.  :)

Yes, I am working on Part 15 atm. This is the longest campaign since Trans-Newtonian and it has a lot of life in it yet. I just need to make sure my enthusiasm for this campaign remains greater than that for any new campaign ideas, of which I have quite a few :)

Steve

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 11:16:17 AM »
You seriously have a problem with creativity, steve. Maybe you should paint a bit to vent it.  ;D

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011, 11:32:31 AM »
You seriously have a problem with creativity, steve. Maybe you should paint a bit to vent it.  ;D

LOL! I already have too many hobbies and not enough time :)

Steve

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2011, 12:32:43 PM »
Losing that many human lives is something I'd consider impossible to cover up for the Soviets. I wonder how NATO will take to the rumors and Espionage Intel gathered. Even if NATO assumes it to be propaganda it'll be hard to discount the massive losses to Soviet shipping, human lives & State Owned Military ships and commercial ships. They might also assume the Soviets will try and blame them for the events. But that of course is assuming information gathered with regards to the invaders leaks to them..

But it leads to a difficult political situation for all involved.  :) Looking forward to how Mother Russia solves this debacle.