Author Topic: Force captured NPR ships to have some fuel / ammo  (Read 1423 times)

Offline DFNewb (OP)

• Captain
  • D
Force captured NPR ships to have some fuel / ammo
« on: May 26, 2020, 12:44:26 PM »
Currently because NPR's can ignore fuel you can capture ships that are moving that when you capture them turn out to have 0 fuel. It would be cool if they had a minimum fuel level set instead of just ignore at 0 so that when you capture you can assure some fuel as realistically they should have it. I have captured ships with fuel before but capturing moving ships with 0 fuel is jarring in some ways.

Also would be cool if you could capture missiles on the ships too. Currently it seems all missiles disappear when you capture the ships even if they were just firing them.

Also slightly unrelated but it would be cool if GSP played a role in boarding combat (my current tests indicate it does not).

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
Re: Force captured NPR ships to have some fuel / ammo
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 01:41:50 PM »
Currently because NPR's can ignore fuel you can capture ships that are moving that when you capture them turn out to have 0 fuel. It would be cool if they had a minimum fuel level set instead of just ignore at 0 so that when you capture you can assure some fuel as realistically they should have it. I have captured ships with fuel before but capturing moving ships with 0 fuel is jarring in some ways.

Also would be cool if you could capture missiles on the ships too. Currently it seems all missiles disappear when you capture the ships even if they were just firing them.

Also slightly unrelated but it would be cool if GSP played a role in boarding combat (my current tests indicate it does not).
That could be RPed as the crew jettisoning everything during capture.  Defenders getting a chance to scuttle the ship should also be an option, I think.

Offline DFNewb (OP)

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 01:44:10 PM »

That could be RPed as the crew jettisoning everything during capture.  Defenders getting a chance to scuttle the ship should also be an option, I think.

Yea I sorta get the magazine being jettisoned but I don't think fuel could be so easily jettisoned. You could throw the case of ammo in the back seat out the window but the fuel in the tank needs a hose to get out. Also capturing some with fuel and some without is the jarring part.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 02:49:23 PM »
Random works better, i think, because the crew is pressed for time and may be panicking, and the boarding team is actively trying to stop them.  As for quickly emptying the fuel tanks, blowing a hole in your own hull is a long and storied naval tradition.  I still think the defenders should get a chance (attributes+morale check+opposed roll) to blow the engines and/or magazine up.

Offline DFNewb (OP)

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 03:04:16 PM »
Random works better, i think, because the crew is pressed for time and may be panicking, and the boarding team is actively trying to stop them.  As for quickly emptying the fuel tanks, blowing a hole in your own hull is a long and storied naval tradition.  I still think the defenders should get a chance (attributes+morale check+opposed roll) to blow the engines and/or magazine up.

But it's not random it's either it has some or it has none (and none in this fleet has any) cause the whole fleet is out of fuel and going back to their colony to refuel or something like that.

Either way instead of making NPR's ever get to 0 fuel it should be limited to like 20 percent of their max fuel then they should act like they have 0 and do the same as if they were empty but still have a minimum of 10 or 20 percent of their max.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 11:02:15 AM »
I wouldn't have a problem with captured ships automagically getting some fuel added to them, but I also don't have a problem with the current system of sometimes capturing ships with zero fuel.  I have no problem imagining such ships dumped (or poisoned) their fuel immediately prior to capture.