Author Topic: Guidelines for Sustainable Empires  (Read 1054 times)

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
Guidelines for Sustainable Empires
« on: November 24, 2020, 04:54:55 PM »
I find that my empires often fail due to lack of resources. More specifically, once I've built up a large navy capable of defending an empire that spans more than a handful of systems, I struggle greatly keeping enough minerals on hand to keep all of my ships maintained.

Am I just building too many military ships? I try to build the bare minimum to keep my colonies from revolting, but that often seems inadequate to protect them from hostile empires, so I usually end up with quite a lot of additional military ships.

What are some guidelines that you successful empire builders follow when growing your empire beyond your first handful of systems?
Open the pod-bay doors HAL...

Offline Froggiest1982

• Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Guidelines for Sustainable Empires
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 05:21:21 PM »
I find that my empires often fail due to lack of resources. More specifically, once I've built up a large navy capable of defending an empire that spans more than a handful of systems, I struggle greatly keeping enough minerals on hand to keep all of my ships maintained.

Am I just building too many military ships? I try to build the bare minimum to keep my colonies from revolting, but that often seems inadequate to protect them from hostile empires, so I usually end up with quite a lot of additional military ships.

What are some guidelines that you successful empire builders follow when growing your empire beyond your first handful of systems?

There is a point, mostly mid-game, where it is essential that you restrain yourself from building. I mean anything, not even an auto mine.

As your empire grows, your minerals simply do not. While you could potentially grow forever you still have a finite amount of resources. A saved resource will count as a mined resource

As Thanos once said: Little one, it's simple calculus. This universe is finite, its resources, finite. If life is left unchecked, life will cease to exist. It needs correcting.

How do I sort it? After my core worlds are safe and stable I adopt what I call the build and replace strategy. A new colony will be provided with all the necessary starting pack set for 10 million people which is build using the existing counterparts on the closest colony which will be replaced once built on your main manufacturing hub. Spaceport, fuel, ordnance, all set to be on. Few construction factories and auto mines to start as well. The intake of colonists will be disabled for a while and the colony simply will have to run itself. Building slowly what it needs on-site and recovering minerals and fuel from nearby systems. Good sectors could have 2 or 3 colonies of these kind and share resources. If you are lucky the Sector Capital may be able to build its own ships in 30 to 50 years, otherwise, it will be provided with the minimum amount needed to avoid unrest.

Exploration is the key and the Galaxy Map a great tool if used properly, I wish it had more options!

Use the galaxy map like you are playing Civilization. You don't put your cities all next to each other but you still want to cover enough ground to ensure territorial defenses. Ultimately you build only where conditions allow you to have access to the right resources.

Bottom line, my guess is that you are lacking in colonization planning. The colonization window in Distant Worlds for instance could be a good starting point for you to get comfortable with what just said.

Off-Topic: show
Thanos words are basically untrue as they do not account for all those resources which are categorized as renewable, fortunately, Aurora's universe works the way Thanos thinks.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:32:45 PM by froggiest1982 »

Offline Malorn

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • M
Re: Guidelines for Sustainable Empires
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 09:39:51 PM »

Wow... I think we've had some very different map spawns. I've never hit a situation where I didn't actually have minerals to mine, I merely lack the effort to mine them. I normally end up with several 2m + worlds that have horrid accessibility. So effectively infinite, but incredibly slow.

That said, more mines equals more production, and mines have no mineral upkeep. So in theory if you can handle the expansion, every mine built is more resources mined more rapidly.

There is a point, mostly mid-game, where it is essential that you restrain yourself from building. I mean anything, not even an auto mine.

As your empire grows, your minerals simply do not. While you could potentially grow forever you still have a finite amount of resources. A saved resource will count as a mined resource

As Thanos once said: Little one, it's simple calculus. This universe is finite, its resources, finite. If life is left unchecked, life will cease to exist. It needs correcting.

How do I sort it? After my core worlds are safe and stable I adopt what I call the build and replace strategy. A new colony will be provided with all the necessary starting pack set for 10 million people which is build using the existing counterparts on the closest colony which will be replaced once built on your main manufacturing hub. Spaceport, fuel, ordnance, all set to be on. Few construction factories and auto mines to start as well. The intake of colonists will be disabled for a while and the colony simply will have to run itself. Building slowly what it needs on-site and recovering minerals and fuel from nearby systems. Good sectors could have 2 or 3 colonies of these kind and share resources. If you are lucky the Sector Capital may be able to build its own ships in 30 to 50 years, otherwise, it will be provided with the minimum amount needed to avoid unrest.

Exploration is the key and the Galaxy Map a great tool if used properly, I wish it had more options!

Use the galaxy map like you are playing Civilization. You don't put your cities all next to each other but you still want to cover enough ground to ensure territorial defenses. Ultimately you build only where conditions allow you to have access to the right resources.

Bottom line, my guess is that you are lacking in colonization planning. The colonization window in Distant Worlds for instance could be a good starting point for you to get comfortable with what just said.

Off-Topic: show
Thanos words are basically untrue as they do not account for all those resources which are categorized as renewable, fortunately, Aurora's universe works the way Thanos thinks.