Author Topic: Official v6.20 Bugs Thread  (Read 64921 times)

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: Official v6.20 Bugs Thread
« Reply #225 on: May 21, 2013, 12:25:47 PM »
Just had a 3021 Check Crew Morale Error come up which had to be killed with the Task Manager.

The cause was an NPR was using a ship with one small quarter to rescue life pods. It suffered a loss of life support and was without maintenance to repair it. The event record shows that 572 crew were killed and the remaining -561 crew were struggling to survive  ;D. I assume the negative number of crew produced the error. See attached file.

Edit
I see the numbers seesaw every subsequent event interval alternating between real and imaginary numbers increasing at every step (see second attachment). Without the designer password its a game killer.

Edit 2
If you eject the survivors/POWs into space it does not prevent the terminal "3012 Check Crew Morale Error". You have to delete/destroy the ship.

Just a thought but I did not think NPR's used the maintenance rules?
IanD

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #226 on: May 25, 2013, 01:56:59 PM »
Quote from: BigJoke link=topic=5651. msg62765#msg62765 date=1367509206
And that's the problem : I don't attempt to run multiple instances of Aurora.   In the task manager, there is only one instance of Aurora.  exe running. 
As I said, I have this problem even after a full reboot, and with just one launch of Aurora.  exe.   Hence my search of any other Aurora.  exe or Stevefire.  mdb on my system that Windows could've copied and used without telling me.   But as far as I can tell, that's not the case. 

And that's why I have no idea why Aurora tells me "This is a copy!" on two different computers, while it's been working flawlessly on two separate occasions on one of these computers.   And why I'm asking for help. 

I see you found a fix in another thread (disable BitDefender).   This cowboy isn't so lucky.

This hit me upgrading from 554 to 560.   621 is also affected, hence the post here.

As I am running Linux, I will post the details under the 'Bugs observed in Linux' thread.

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #227 on: May 27, 2013, 10:39:34 AM »
Aurora All-in-one Portable 6.  21.   

1.   Turning on " Max weapon range ( ships ) " from Display 2 and having ships with weapons but without fire control component will result in Error 6 : Overflow ( DisplayFleets ) everytime you navigate a map with that ship on screen.   Its not fatal or gamebreaking but simply annoying as hell.  Okay , something other is on the table here coz even after refit i get this bug . . .   :-[ :-X
2.   If you are building ship that is destined to join an existing TG , that TG will freeze and will not carry any order until that ship is build and join TG.   Also annoying as hell.   

1st one i discovered because i'm a dumbass :P
2nd one was discovered by mistake and im not sure if its an actual bug.   Is it ?

P.  s.   First Post - welcome and i love this game :D <3
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 11:04:51 AM by Lossmar »
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #228 on: May 27, 2013, 12:54:06 PM »
Aurora All-in-one Portable 6.  21.   

1.   Turning on " Max weapon range ( ships ) " from Display 2 and having ships with weapons but without fire control component will result in Error 6 : Overflow ( DisplayFleets ) everytime you navigate a map with that ship on screen.   Its not fatal or gamebreaking but simply annoying as hell.  Okay , something other is on the table here coz even after refit i get this bug . . .   :-[ :-X
2.   If you are building ship that is destined to join an existing TG , that TG will freeze and will not carry any order until that ship is build and join TG.   Also annoying as hell.   

1st one i discovered because i'm a dumbass :P
2nd one was discovered by mistake and im not sure if its an actual bug.   Is it ?

P.  s.   First Post - welcome and i love this game :D <3

Number 2 is on purpose. If your shipyard is on earth, and your TG is in Alpha Centauri when the ship you are building is complete, it would teleport there.

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #229 on: May 27, 2013, 03:37:35 PM »
Quote from: Erik Luken link=topic=5651.  msg63108#msg63108 date=1369677246
Number 2 is on purpose.   If your shipyard is on earth, and your TG is in Alpha Centauri when the ship you are building is complete, it would teleport there. 
How about first one ??

Code: [Select]
Orzel mk3 class Frigate    5 850 tons     122 Crew     473 BP      TCS 117  TH 150  EM 0
1282 km/s     Armour 1-28     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/10/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 20
Maint Life 0.87 Years     MSP 51    AFR 273%    IFR 3.8%    1YR 59    5YR 883    Max Repair 25 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 6 months    Spare Berths 1    
Magazine 320    

50 EP Nuclear Thermal Engine (3)    Power 50    Fuel Use 90%    Signature 50    Exp 10%
Fuel Capacity 1 000 000 Litres    Range 34.2 billion km   (308 days at full power)

Size 5 Missile Launcher (4)    Missile Size 5    Rate of Fire 150
Missile Fire Control FC13-R20 (1)     Range 13.4m km    Resolution 20
S5 RPO Mlot (64)  Speed: 2 000 km/s   End: 13.9d    Range: 2398.5m km   WH: 2    Size: 5    TH: 9/5/2

Active Search Sensor MR5-R20 (1)     GPS 480     Range 5.4m km    Resolution 20
EM Detection Sensor EM2-10 (1)     Sensitivity 10     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  10m km

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

This is the only deployed type of my military vessels.   
And i get Overflow error 6 ( DisplayFleets ) every time i move around system map ( zoom, move to any side etc.   ) after switching on Max Weapon Range ( Ships ) from the Display2 map menu.  .  .  .  .   
Is something wrong about that missile ( S5 RPO Mlot a.  k.  a.   Hammer in english ) ?
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #230 on: May 27, 2013, 04:16:47 PM »
How about first one ??

Orzel mk3 class Frigate    5 850 tons     122 Crew     473 BP      TCS 117  TH 150  EM 0
1282 km/s     Armour 1-28     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/10/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 20
Maint Life 0.87 Years     MSP 51    AFR 273%    IFR 3.8%    1YR 59    5YR 883    Max Repair 25 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 6 months    Spare Berths 1    
Magazine 320    

50 EP Nuclear Thermal Engine (3)    Power 50    Fuel Use 90%    Signature 50    Exp 10%
Fuel Capacity 1 000 000 Litres    Range 34.2 billion km   (308 days at full power)

Size 5 Missile Launcher (4)    Missile Size 5    Rate of Fire 150
Missile Fire Control FC13-R20 (1)     Range 13.4m km    Resolution 20
S5 RPO Mlot (64)  Speed: 2 000 km/s   End: 13.9d    Range: 2398.5m km   WH: 2    Size: 5    TH: 9/5/2

Active Search Sensor MR5-R20 (1)     GPS 480     Range 5.4m km    Resolution 20
EM Detection Sensor EM2-10 (1)     Sensitivity 10     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  10m km

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

This is the only deployed type of my military vessels.   
And i get Overflow error 6 ( DisplayFleets ) every time i move around system map ( zoom, move to any side etc.   ) after switching on Max Weapon Range ( Ships ) from the Display2 map menu.  .  .  .  .   
Is something wrong about that missile ( S5 RPO Mlot a.  k.  a.   Hammer in english ) ?

Well, other than the missile will be completely ineffective against anything except undefended planetary targets, the only thing I can think of is that the variable in use on the system map is a 16-bit integer rather than a 32 bit.

Some critiques on your missile. Speed - way to slow. Endurance - 2 weeks? Way too much. Your fire control can see targets out to 13.3m km. Your missile has 178x this range. Drop the missile range to 3-5x the MFC range. Put the excess into engines and warhead. You might also want to look into improving your missile cycle time. You are firing 4 missiles that move at 2000km/s every 2.5 minutes. I think even a newly TN race with minimal defenses could swat those down with no trouble at all.

Starting tech (which is what it looks like you have) should give you 8-10km/s missiles.

I realize that is not quite the question you asked, but the only thing that I know of that causes overflow errors is having a too large a number try to be shoved into a variable that's too small.

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #231 on: May 27, 2013, 05:11:49 PM »
Well, other than the missile will be completely ineffective against anything except undefended planetary targets, the only thing I can think of is that the variable in use on the system map is a 16-bit integer rather than a 32 bit. 

Some critiques on your missile.  Speed - way to slow.  Endurance - 2 weeks? Way too much.  Your fire control can see targets out to 13. 3m km.  Your missile has 178x this range.  Drop the missile range to 3-5x the MFC range.  Put the excess into engines and warhead.  You might also want to look into improving your missile cycle time.  You are firing 4 missiles that move at 2000km/s every 2. 5 minutes.  I think even a newly TN race with minimal defenses could swat those down with no trouble at all. 

Starting tech (which is what it looks like you have) should give you 8-10km/s missiles. 
Well yeah , i know that whole design is probably complete crap :P Its my first game and i simply have no idea how to do smeg, i lack any benchmark/example on creating things etc and i have a deeeeep aversion to any tutorials so i have to learn everything by myself :) And i was "wise" enough to start as a conventional empire xD
Ok nevermind ;P

Offline Shipright

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
« Reply #232 on: May 29, 2013, 07:16:51 PM »
Gents,

I am receiving the following error when trying to star the "all in one portal 6. 21"

1.  "Cannot create some of your include files MSSTDFMT. DLL continue?"

after which I press okay and get. . .

2.  "Error 3024 was generated by DAO.  Workspace.  Could not find file Stevefire. mdb.  Please report to pentarch"

followed by. . .

3.  Error 91 was generated by Aurora.  Object variable of with block variable not set.  Please contact pentarch"

which then repeats into infinity when you hit okay, I have to task manager out of the program to get it to stop.

Any ideas? I was able to play it once and played a few decades over a few days with it running that whole time so I know the program work, maybe its a log issue from that game?

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #233 on: May 29, 2013, 09:49:31 PM »
Quote from: Shipright link=topic=5651. msg63143#msg63143 date=1369873011
Gents,

I am receiving the following error when trying to star the "all in one portal 6.  21"

1.   "Cannot create some of your include files MSSTDFMT.  DLL continue?"

after which I press okay and get.  .  . 

2.   "Error 3024 was generated by DAO.   Workspace.   Could not find file Stevefire.  mdb.   Please report to pentarch"

followed by.  .  . 

3.   Error 91 was generated by Aurora.   Object variable of with block variable not set.   Please contact pentarch"

which then repeats into infinity when you hit okay, I have to task manager out of the program to get it to stop. 

Any ideas? I was able to play it once and played a few decades over a few days with it running that whole time so I know the program work, maybe its a log issue from that game?

Those errors seem to say it can't find its files.   I see three possibilities:
1) Running from the wrong directory.   This could happen if you are using a Start Menu entry or Desktop link that has a wrong working directory.   Try opening the C:\Program Files\Aurora directory and clicking on AW_Aurora. exe, or start it from cmd. exe.

2) MSSTDFMT. DLL and Stevefire. mdb somehow got deleted.   Again, look in the C:\Program Files\Aurora directory.   If these files are missing, you need to reinstall Aurora.   If you are running Windows more recent than XP try installing to a non-system directory.   May be related to 3)

3) Permissions problem.   There are reports that Windows 7 (maybe others too?) has strange permission settings in the C:\Program Files directory.   Reinstall into another (non-system) directory, then, if you want to continue your game, copy (not move!) Stevefire. mdb to your home directory, check its permissions, then copy to the new directory.

Good luck

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #234 on: May 29, 2013, 10:50:52 PM »
Gents,

I am receiving the following error when trying to star the "all in one portal 6. 21"

1.  "Cannot create some of your include files MSSTDFMT. DLL continue?"

after which I press okay and get. . .

2.  "Error 3024 was generated by DAO.  Workspace.  Could not find file Stevefire. mdb.  Please report to pentarch"

followed by. . .

3.  Error 91 was generated by Aurora.  Object variable of with block variable not set.  Please contact pentarch"

If you run it without the portable installer, do you get the same errors?

Offline Darkminion

• Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #235 on: June 06, 2013, 02:59:16 AM »
Without fail I get one of these every time I start Aurora. 
Error in Form Load

Error -2147024770 was generated by Aurora
Automation error
The specified module could not be found
Please Report to http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/board,11.0.html

followed by a whole bunch of of these
Error in UpdateGameLog

Error 91 was generated by Aurora
Object variable or With Block variable not set
Please Report to http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/board,11.0.html

It worked before I lost a HD, but after I got a new one and reinstalled Win7 x64.   I just tried to access it again (aurora was on another HD) and it gave me those errors.   I have tried reinstalling a fresh copy of aurora and updating it to no avail.   

EDIT: Fixed with sfc /scannow
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 04:03:05 AM by Darkminion »

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
Civilian Shipping Woes
« Reply #236 on: June 10, 2013, 01:31:37 PM »
I've noticed some very odd behaviour with how my Civilian Freighters are assigned jobs.

Situation:  Due to mineral crunch, I had to relocate 2 mass drivers and some automines to an asteroid.  I had 40 Automines on Earth, ready for delivery, and 2 mass drivers on different asteroids to reposition.  I'll call the asteroids A, B, and C.

I made the following contracts in this order:
Mass driver A -> C
Mass driver B -> C
40 AM Earth -> C

Half of my freighters were parked at Earth doing nothing.  Most of the rest were on the Earth<->Luna route, with a few on runs to Mars or out of system.

All of my idle civilian freighters immediately headed for Asteroid A to pick up the lone Mass Driver there.  As each working freighter finished its current job, they also headed for A.  The first to arrive, which had a head start as it started at Luna, took that job and headed for C.  As each following freighter arrived at A, they went to B to pick up the other lone Mass Driver.  Again, the first to arrive took the job and headed for C.  The rest then went back to Earth (where they started!) and started loading Automines.

I had expected one freighter each to be dispatched to A and B, with the rest loading Automines at Earth where they started.  Alternatively, I would have expected the Automines to be shipped first, as that was closer.

As it stands, setting up any manual job that starts somewhere other than Earth sends the entire civilian fleet running.  It seems that jobs aren't reserved for a ship until it arrives, which means multiple ships will respond to a single item request.  It also seems that jobs are taken in the order created, with no consideration of distance.  This means that even with multiple jobs, all ships will try to take the first job, then when it is gone, all ships will try for the second.

This may also be related to the bug where a supply order without a destination causes all Freighters to stop working.  It may also be related to the report about Colonizers stampeding when a new colony opens up.

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #237 on: June 11, 2013, 01:34:28 PM »
The Galactic Map reports that I have 620 out of 618 bodies surveyed in the Sol system.

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #238 on: June 14, 2013, 07:43:55 PM »
6th January 2000 00:00:01,Momo,Due to the complete failure of the life support systems on board Missile Complex 012, 4876 crew members have died. The remaining -4664 crew members are struggling to stay alive

Yeeeeah...

Even if we ignore the 2300% casualty rate, should the life support on conventional missile silos even fail? Is that intentional? Because I really don't think it should. Even if it is, I'm not sure "The remaining -4664 crew members are struggling to stay alive" even makes sense (and it certainly caused an error when it tried to make the next morale check).

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #239 on: June 15, 2013, 12:56:26 AM »
6th January 2000 00:00:01,Momo,Due to the complete failure of the life support systems on board Missile Complex 012, 4876 crew members have died. The remaining -4664 crew members are struggling to stay alive

Yeeeeah...

Even if we ignore the 2300% casualty rate, should the life support on conventional missile silos even fail? Is that intentional? Because I really don't think it should. Even if it is, I'm not sure "The remaining -4664 crew members are struggling to stay alive" even makes sense (and it certainly caused an error when it tried to make the next morale check).

Were those automatically added at the beginning? Or did you Fast OOB them in? In the first case, there is a known bug with them, that one in fact.