Author Topic: Proposal for New Event Types  (Read 1339 times)

Offline yourITguy (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • y
Proposal for New Event Types
« on: February 09, 2021, 02:45:37 PM »
Even though there are nearly 200 event types in the database (not sure if they are all used) there are a few that I think will improve quality of life.

Ground Survey Complete
First, and probably the most important one, is one for when a ground survey has completed. Currently, when the ground survey is completed, the message uses the same event type that your geo survey ships use which does not interrupt auto-turns, so if you miss it then your ground survey team will be sitting idle for potentially a very long time. I think a new event type called something like "Ground Survey Complete" that DOES interrupt auto-turns would be extremely helpful.

Civilian Ship Scrapped
Secondly, when civilians scrap a ship the message shows up as a "Ship Scrapped" event type which interrupts auto-turns; however, I, and I'm certain most players, don't care when that happens. Adding a "Civilian Ship Scrapped" event type and setting that to not interrupting auto-turns would solve the issue.

Jump Point Stabilized
Also, and this one can currently be mitigated by using the send message ship order, there is not an event type for when a ship stabilizes a jump point. I often set my stabilizers to work a whole chain and if I don't have them send me a message each time they complete one then I won't know it's done until the ship has complete the entire order chain (without periodically manually checking, of course).

Manually Assigned Commander Died/Retired
The final one is for commanders. It is very frustrating when a commander that you have to manually assign, such as for a naval admin, a fleet commander, etc., dies or retires. There is no interrupt for when it happens because the "Commander Health" event type does not do so. I don't think we would want to be interrupted every time that event happens, so a new one called something like "Assigned Commander Died/Retired" might do the trick. Alternatively, new event types for "Missing Naval Admin Commander" or "Missing Fleet Commander" could do it, but there are likely times that you just don't have the commanders to fill all the spots so that event could get spammy. I've lately started just marking them as Story Characters to avoid the problem, but I'd rather not do that.

UI
Lastly, it would be absolutely fantastic if there was a UI for modifying whether an event type interrupts auto-turns. I personally don't mind since I can easily modify the database, but I think a lot of players would love that feature.

The following users thanked this post: Barkhorn, DIT_grue, serger

Offline Stormtrooper

• Captain
  • S
  • The universe is a Dark Forest
Re: Proposal for New Event Types
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 03:52:18 PM »
There's a tool for choosing events that do and do not interrupt so I think it's no big deal even if you don't edit db. Though one event I want badly is "aether rift appeared in system screw_invaders 1274-6789"

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 09:11:15 PM »
Agree in particular with civilian ship scrapping being different from my own ship scrapping, which might prompt me to use the yard slip for something else, while civilian ship scrapping is purely informational.

Also see a need for the manually assigned commander one, at least for positions which aren't autofilled like ship officers or planetary governors now. It's become an unfortunate regularity that I put a fleet into training and after a while wonder why they're gaining so little only to find out that most of the command structure has died off again.
The general "commander retired/died" messages are just not useful because there are too many of them I don't care about as they were unassigned or in autofilled positions, hence they're off.

The following users thanked this post: alex_g

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 09:37:33 PM »
Though one event I want badly is "aether rift appeared in system screw_invaders 1274-6789"

I have already put this somewhere in the suggestions thread. In the meantime Aurora Electrons is a good stop-gap for this. It basically looks at your DB and gives warnings based on what is going on in the game. Be it idle production, NPR contacts and like in this case surprise Aether Rifts.

The only limitation is that the program can only update when you save the game.

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 10:27:29 PM »

...and saving the game takes two minutes, in my case :-(
+1 for such a feature ingame

Offline Stormtrooper

• Captain
  • S
  • The universe is a Dark Forest
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 02:32:22 AM »
Though one event I want badly is "aether rift appeared in system screw_invaders 1274-6789"

I have already put this somewhere in the suggestions thread. In the meantime Aurora Electrons is a good stop-gap for this. It basically looks at your DB and gives warnings based on what is going on in the game. Be it idle production, NPR contacts and like in this case surprise Aether Rifts.

You mean that thing I wanted to download but didn't because I constantly keep forgetting?...