Author Topic: GeoTeam  (Read 2225 times)

Offline NoonStar (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • N
GeoTeam
« on: February 21, 2011, 03:39:47 PM »
So I've just started the game, trying to learn what I can through trial and error.  However, I have a question about my  Geology team.  I'm trying to unload them from my Scout/Geology vessel onto Mercury.  Yet it doesn't seem to allow me to do so.  Is my ship missing a component? For example, am I supposed to build some sort of smaller landing shuttle or equip the team with protective suits?

Scimitar class Scout    1,700 tons     164 Crew     446. 6 BP      TCS 34  TH 120  EM 0
3529 km/s     Armour 1-12     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/1/2     Damage Control Rating 2     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 11%    IFR: 0. 2%    Maint Capacity 328 MSP    Max Repair 100 MSP    Est Time: 7. 05 Years

Scout - Ion Engine E8 (2)    Power 60    Fuel Use 80%    Signature 60    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 66. 2 billion km   (217 days at full power)

Scimitar - Active Search Sensor MR11-R100 (1)     GPS 1921     Range 11. 5m km    Resolution 100
Gravitational Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points Per Hour
Geological Survey Sensors (2)   2 Survey Points Per Hour

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
Re: GeoTeam
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »
Have you created a colony on Mercury?  You can do this from the F3 screen by right clicking on the target and selecting create colony.  You can also do it form the F9 screen by selecting the body and hitting the Add Colony button at the bottom of the window.

What are you expecting youe Geology team to do for you on Mercury?  Has it been geo surveyed yet?  If not they can't get to work looking for extra deposits until the initial survey has been done from orbit.
Welchbloke

Offline Waffles

• Chief Petty Officer
  • W
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 03:46:52 PM »
To get them onto a planet:
1.  Have ship in orbit
2.  Open the Ships Menu
3.  Select the ship they are on
4.  Open the PArasites/Cargo/GU tab
5.  Click on the team which should be in the lower right corner
6.  Click the Transfer button next to the planet name

Offline NoonStar (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • N
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 03:52:25 PM »
I've already Survey'd the planet from orbit.  No materials turned up, so I wanted to send in a Geoteam to find some themselves.  I'd like to stick a mine on it rather than having to go out toward some of the Outer planet's moons.  I guess I could drop a mine on Venus.  Will I have to mess with its atmosphere if I just plan to drop an automated mine on it?

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 03:53:58 PM »
Alternatively use the following commands on the F12 window:
1. Select the destination - NB this has to be a colony.
2. Select Drop off Team.
3. Select the team you want to drop off.
4. Hit the Add Move button.

you should now see the action in the Plotted Move column.
Welchbloke

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 03:56:52 PM »
I've already Survey'd the planet from orbit.  No materials turned up, so I wanted to send in a Geoteam to find some themselves.  I'd like to stick a mine on it rather than having to go out toward some of the Outer planet's moons.  I guess I could drop a mine on Venus.  Will I have to mess with its atmosphere if I just plan to drop an automated mine on it?
To be clear, have you emplaced a colony on Mercury?

No effect on atmosphere from mining.  In fact the only things that affect atmosphere are terrforming, weapons bombardment and forgetting to place a mass driver on your receiving colony(leading to a kinetic bombardment)
Welchbloke

Offline NoonStar (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • N
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 04:02:06 PM »
I just added a colony to Mercury.  No humans on it yet though.  I'll try not to bomb Earth with materials though.  That sounds. . .  painful.  And thanks.  The 'add move' button did the trick.  I've been able to double click for everything else and just assumed. 

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 04:04:33 PM »
No problem.  Be aware that to place anything on a body you need a colony on it.  Colony is a bit of a misnomer as it is just a way of creating a location you can interact with.
Welchbloke

Offline rubicon

• Leading Rate
  • r
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 07:34:43 PM »
Quote from: welchbloke link=topic=3266.  msg31353#msg31353 date=1298325873
No problem.    Be aware that to place anything on a body you need a colony on it.    Colony is a bit of a misnomer as it is just a way of creating a location you can interact with. 

Actually you do not have to create a colony first.   Just F12 (Task Groups).   Under Task Groups Orders Tab, select the destination under System Location Display Options, if you have already picked up the Geological Team.   Under Actions Available, select Drop Off Team, then under Select Team, choose the particular team then press the Add Move button.   You can even add the order for the geological vessel to perform a survey while it is dropping off the team either before or after the drop.   When the team is deployed a colony will automatically be created.   At least that's how it has been working for me. 

Offline antofdeath

• Petty Officer
  • a
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 11:05:53 AM »
Just a Semiexploit you can use if you wanna skip half the process and make sure you always have the best team members... "Disband team" then "remake team" with the planet you want selected, I don't know the range maximums you can have but still.