Author Topic: Laser and Missile Reload  (Read 2338 times)

Offline ardem (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • a
Laser and Missile Reload
« on: April 04, 2011, 11:23:45 PM »
I am wondering the mechanics around this or the reason why it was done this way.

When a laser fires, the capacitor need to be filled the number of point before it fires. When a enemy is out of range, this capacitor is not filled and ready to go when it come in range, it need to charge when the enemy is in range and you choice fire. This delay for large guns could be 15 secs before fires.

Missiles firing are the same the reload of first volley needs to be completed before it fires.

From a laser point of view I can understand that perhaps the capacitor can not be filled with energy for a long amount of time due to perhaps burning out systems but the missile reload on first firing this is a strange one, because I would fell you would have your missiles load ready to fire, and not need a reload wait time.

Just wondering if anyone knows the purpose around this, also noted this happen when you destroy an enemy you go into cease fire and the reload system halts and is not ready until you hit fire again, and starts the reload process where it is left off.

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
Re: Laser and Missile Reload
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 11:44:23 PM »
Huh? Ships generally go into battle fully charged and the first shot comes off immediately. It's only subsequent shots that require recharging. ???

Offline Five

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • F
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 01:13:31 AM »
Laser go into battle fully chrged like missles being loaded already. It is not until they fire that they need to recharge.

-Five

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 03:50:15 AM »
Are you sure that youre not experiencing fire delay?  If your ships are not fully trained up to 100% you will experience some delay whenever you change orders (like ordering a ship to open fire, or to change vector)  In the main I think this is fairly short (up to 120 secs) but that can be a very long time in combat.  The time can be thought to be the time taken to get buttoned up at action stations

If all the ships in your fleet are fully trained up there is no delay (I usually figure that in these instances the commanders are so good that they predicted the need to go to action stations a minute or so before I did)
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 07:38:28 AM »
I RP it as people already being in actions station, but just not being effective if not trained.

"Turn 32° left!"
"Turning? Is that my job? I though it was Steve's!"
"No, Steve is manning the Gauss guns!"
"But what's Ben doing then?"
"Uh, Ben?"
"Well, I'm steering the ship."
"What? Turn 32° left!"

Offline jocan2003

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • j
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 02:55:23 PM »
Well i used to RP it too but in a different way hehe, more something about getting used to console macro and new operating system of there ship, learning shortkeys to do this, turn the ship, fire up missile, lock ennemy and so on. ( Think ST you get on their console for the first time, will you be as fast as a veteran who has been working with the console for a few year? We dont even know how long these crew and officier has been trained at the academy!

Offline ardem (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 08:02:32 PM »
Yes you are correct training was the issue, on first shot, where a day had past, although the issue still happens between selecting different targets and moving, between cease fire and fire weapons, where you have a few minutes of a lull a reload could happen that doesn't.

Not an issue, just was wondering the mechanics around it. When a reload actually get done, when it does not consider in contact?

« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 08:07:59 PM by ardem »

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 08:12:12 PM »
Reloading and recharging is done whenever the launcher/weapon in question requires it. That is, whenever it's not loaded or charged. :P

Offline ardem (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 08:59:31 PM »
I will go over again with a fine tooth comb, and make sure my understanding in what is happening is correct. You now got me wondering if I am having a blonde moment.

Offline ExChairman

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 09:05:55 AM »
I RP it as people already being in actions station, but just not being effective if not trained.

"Turn 32° left!"
"Turning? Is that my job? I though it was Steve's!"
"No, Steve is manning the Gauss guns!"
"But what's Ben doing then?"
"Uh, Ben?"
"Well, I'm steering the ship."
"What? Turn 32° left!"
"Left? You meen Port?" Sir?
 ;)
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...