Author Topic: Ship visuals idea/suggestion  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Star Watchman, of Yeshua (OP)

• The stars are for the times and seasons!
  • Leading Rate
  • The blood of Jesus, The Christ, Atones for sin!!
    • My Church!
  • Discord Username: GCS Manager#9646
Ship visuals idea/suggestion
« on: December 18, 2020, 08:36:08 PM »
My first forum post.   I am sorry if this one is bad. 

I've just migrated to C# and I've noticed a lot of knew things.   Forgive me if my lack of knowledge does not correspond to what is already well-known. 

I've always been a fan of the Aurora 4x graphical but if it were ever able to be implemented.   I am a small-game artist in my hobby time and I was wondering if it would ever be possible to potentially create .  png images of ships and use those as versus the atypical green dot with a trail.   I do understand scaling these ships would be a little tricky, but that's when the artist with MS paint comes in.   

Suggestion:
Custom artwork for different ships (attached below)
Images of different actions the ship may be performing after time increment

Just something fun I thought of.   I hope this inspires someone :)

The Lord saves.

Exodus 3:14
And God said unto Moses, I Am That I Am: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I Am hath sent me unto you.

John 8:58
Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

Online nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Ship visuals idea/suggestion
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 09:07:30 PM »
Probably not feasible on the tactical map, just because in the heat of battle it can get pretty crowded with dots, lines, and crosses everywhere. However it would be neat to have a little box in the class/ship view windows which optionally has a little picture of your ship that you could select from a file. That way if a player wants to make a little art of their new 50,000-ton dreadnought it can show up somewhere in game and bring the player crushing sadness when the ship is ripped apart by Precursors joy.

Ideally not filled with a random ship from the ship art folder, but I suppose using the racial ship icon as a default would be okay too if an empty box in the UI seems awkward.

The following users thanked this post: Dawa1147, Star Watchman, of Yeshua

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 01:38:21 AM »
Maybe something simpler than that. I had tried to create...i dont even know what you would call it, a set i guess. Of very basic ships for some reason based off BSG's DRADIS contact markers. Those markers are very complex so i found drawing simpler designs worked better.

The following users thanked this post: Star Watchman, of Yeshua

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 03:34:33 AM »
I'm not too sure that would work on the tac map, as a whole fleet is in a singularity point  ;D

But I have often thought of having something like NuclearSlurpee describes, in the same way you can attach an image to a race, lets have an image for a ship in the ship design window and where it shows, pure cosmetic and optional.

The following users thanked this post: Star Watchman, of Yeshua

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 11:19:36 AM »
I'm against the idea of things on the system map for general clutter reasons. However it would be great if on the class design window we could have a ship image section, the same way we get to select images on the racial window.

The following users thanked this post: Dawa1147, Star Watchman, of Yeshua