Author Topic: Good beginners game setting  (Read 2600 times)

Offline Passero (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • P
Good beginners game setting
« on: June 01, 2014, 04:41:29 AM »
I'm very new to this game, only found out about it a couple of days ago.
Watched a couple of let's play tutorials on youtube but I cannot seem to find a proper starting point for a beginner like me. 

I'm mainly in doubt about the trans newtonian and conventional setting.  I understand what it does but I was just wondering if I will miss much of the fun when starting directly with the trans newtonian stuff. 
I started a game with trans newtonian and than one with a conventional and the conventional seems a bit boring in the beginning.  Maybe it's not that good for a beginner?
But then. . .  Will I miss much from the game mechanics when I get plenty of resources and research done for me? Is it better to struggle through the first years and start conventional so I at least learn about it or is that not really required?

I've also read it's better to start with 0 NPR's in the beginning (definitly when going with a conventional empire) because they start with trans newtonian stuff and might be way ahead of me and faster :)
But that was based upon 5. 0 so not sure if that still applies on 6. 4

Any other settings that should help me as a beginner? Not that I want a tea party in the galaxy, I want some challenges but I also want some time to learn about the mechanics and get an easy start. 

Offline PSI

• Chief Petty Officer
  • P
Re: Good beginners game setting
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 01:27:47 PM »
If you're still trying to get a feel for the game...

1. Turn on the Conventional Empire setting. With the Trans-Newtonian setting, a lot of things will have already been done for you, such as certain techs researched. Sure, NPRs you discover will be stronger than you, but it also helps you to get a better grip on the game.

2. Set the starting amount of NPRs to 0. It speeds up the game considerably, and you'll eventually find some as you explore other star systems. Note that there is an option near the top-left that allows NPRs to generate on habitable planets after the game start (it's set to a 30% chance by default).

3. Do NOT turn on Invaders until you have a lot of experience, and even then, do not turn them on at the start of the game. They are deadly and explore a lot, causing the game to become even slower. You can keep the other two things (Precursors and Star Swarm) turned on, as they aren't as bad (but still present a little challenge).

4. Turn off the option that gives commanders political bonuses. While it is a neat touch, it only complicates things for you.

5. Set the amount of jump points in Sol to 6. This ensures that you won't get put in a galactic dead-end and gives more entry points to find NPRs in!

Everything else is generally (but not always) used for RP purposes and can be left the same.
Happy exploring!

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 02:17:24 PM »
The previous post is a good starting point if you don't mind slow starts while you get an idea of what you are doing.  If you want a midling sort of a start go ahead and select the trans-newtonian start (this is considered a normal start, the conventional is considered an advanced option) and in the lower middle section there is a box for starting reasearch points.  If you put this to 0 you will have all of the very basic tech's but nothing else. 

Brian

Offline Passero (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • P
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 04:44:04 PM »
Alright, thanks guys.
I will give it a go with the slow start :)
It will probably give me more time to get use to the game. 

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 07:59:13 AM »
My advice is different than most folks.  Beginning players don't have the knowledge of the game mechanics that are really needed for playing a campaign. 

Instead I advise starting with Spacemaster Empire with everyting turned off.  Then generate a starting solar system (Sol or otherwise) without a populating race.  Select a world for one race and build that as a player race.  Select a second world for a player controlled NPR.  Explore the game mechanics including combat.  Don't really worry about a successful campaign game, the purpose is to learn game function and person preferences.  Use the SM Mode to make various adjustments.

Once you're comfortable with core game mechanics you can start a campaign and you've at least avoided some of the pitfalls of the starting player.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley