Author Topic: Corporate Federation - Comments  (Read 24819 times)

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Announcement
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2018, 06:51:34 PM »
So, today I was going through some of the stuff I've posted and I noticed that while I had set up a thread for ship designs, I was posting ship designs in the update thread.  Oops.  I've moved both ship design posts to the ship design thread, and, additionally, I've reformatted them so that hopefully they are a little bit more readable.  I noticed that if I left the ship descriptions in with the design that they didn't word-wrap.  Instead the descriptions were there as one long line running off to the right side of the screen.  Sometimes far off the right side of the screen, making them difficult to read.  Hopefully the new versions are more legible and easier to read. 

Kurt

The following users thanked this post: King-Salomon

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Corporate Federation - Comments
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2018, 12:46:39 PM »
They are indeed, thanks for doing that.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2018, 03:59:48 PM »
Just in case you've forgotten, remember to set the initiative as high as possible for the Attack ships when you detach them from the main TG. Or for any beam combatant really, because ships move in reversed initiative order. So if the Obscura ship had a higher initiative than the Attack ship, it would explain how it kept remaining outside firing range.

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2018, 09:57:37 AM »
Just in case you've forgotten, remember to set the initiative as high as possible for the Attack ships when you detach them from the main TG. Or for any beam combatant really, because ships move in reversed initiative order. So if the Obscura ship had a higher initiative than the Attack ship, it would explain how it kept remaining outside firing range.

I'll have to check that.  I was pretty sure that that was what was happening, but I didn't check to see what the initiative was set at. 

On another subject, I'm going to have to rename the Patrol Cruisers.  They aren't really either Patrol ships or Cruisers, and the class designation is very peaceful seeming for ships that are intended to close with a bigger enemy and rip their guts out, all while taking missile fire. 
Kurt

Offline El Pip

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2018, 04:39:38 PM »
The "Human Purity Act" from the last update is a bit ominous sounding. With Earth still being fairly dusty and radioactive I would have imagined a lot of people turning to implants to help cope with the consequences.

And then what happens why the HPP start noticing the consequences of all that radiation on "purity" of the rest of the population. Seems like the sort of thing that needs nipping in the bud, not encouraging in the Senate.

If nothing else it's an interesting break from the routing of space battles and research. :)

Offline Neophyte

• Gold Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2018, 11:03:33 AM »
On another subject, I'm going to have to rename the Patrol Cruisers.  They aren't really either Patrol ships or Cruisers, and the class designation is very peaceful seeming for ships that are intended to close with a bigger enemy and rip their guts out, all while taking missile fire. 
Kurt

Sounds like a Strike ship to me - maybe a Strike Destroyer or Frigate?

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2018, 01:38:52 PM »
The "Human Purity Act" from the last update is a bit ominous sounding. With Earth still being fairly dusty and radioactive I would have imagined a lot of people turning to implants to help cope with the consequences.

And then what happens why the HPP start noticing the consequences of all that radiation on "purity" of the rest of the population. Seems like the sort of thing that needs nipping in the bud, not encouraging in the Senate.

If nothing else it's an interesting break from the routing of space battles and research. :)

Hmmm...no foreshadowing here.  Nothing to see here, everyone move on. 

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2018, 02:05:46 PM »
Kurt

Destroyer seems appropriate honestly.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2018, 07:07:00 PM »
Hunter-Killers!  The universe needs more good ol' HuKs!

The following users thanked this post: PlasmaXJ

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2018, 05:08:33 PM »
Ooh, the plot thickens! I've never seen that sort of connection between Precursors and a "brainless" NPR, what a brilliant idea!

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2018, 12:43:29 PM »
Damn, those logs. We often just skip over the fate of hapless surveyors who get stranded in systems with spoilers. Probably for the best, since it's a pretty chilling thought to imagine yourself in their place.

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2018, 08:03:07 AM »
Damn, those logs. We often just skip over the fate of hapless surveyors who get stranded in systems with spoilers. Probably for the best, since it's a pretty chilling thought to imagine yourself in their place.

I really thought I came up with a way for them to survive, but then, during their final approach to the marginally habitable planet, they stumbled on the listening post.  Ugh.  Bad luck!

Kurt

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2018, 09:03:16 AM »
Finally caught up with the reports. I think it is worth mentioning that the new AI in C# Aurora will avoid the Dregluk tendency to feed their forces piecemeal into the grinder :). The new NPRs should come in force or not at all.

Thanks to Kurt for our discussions that helped me build this concept into the new AI.

The following users thanked this post: ExChairman, TMaekler, Titanian

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2018, 05:37:17 PM »
Finally caught up with the reports. I think it is worth mentioning that the new AI in C# Aurora will avoid the Dregluk tendency to feed their forces piecemeal into the grinder :). The new NPRs should come in force or not at all.

Thanks to Kurt for our discussions that helped me build this concept into the new AI.

Steve and I had several conversations about this when I saw the way my campaign was going, but I have to admit, my original point to him was that I thought that the NPR (Dregluk) was going to feed their fleet into my PDC's piecemeal, and thus my woefully unprepared Feds were going to prevail even though they didn't deserve to.  Instead, of course, they managed to bombard Earth partway to the stone age, or at least to the ice age, and did a lot better than I thought originally. 

Still, if the Dregluk had been a player-controlled race they would have wiped out the Federation pretty easily.  From what Steve says, C# is going to go a long way towards correcting that.  I'm really looking forward to its release!

Kurt

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2018, 02:58:41 AM »
Yeah it's pretty clear that at this point the Dregluk aren't more than a nuisance, I do look forward to you dealing with their home system though. And all the time spent on them means that certain other NPR's and certain spoiler presences, if they are turned on, have time to build up forces and possibly be a challenge for you later on.