VB6 Aurora > Aurora Chat

Curiosity Question: What inspired Aurora's class design and combat system?

(1/2) > >>

Rook:
Something I've wondered for a while. . .  What "Universe" (Star Trek, Star Wars, Firefly, etc. ) do you base the design theory on? In other words, when you developed Aurora's ship design/combat system, which Universe were you thinking of the most?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I just couldn't find the answer.

Cheers,
Rook

Garfunkel:
AFAIK, Aurora grew out of Starfire Assistant, which Steve created to help with playing the tabletop game Starfire, which has its own "universe" and is not modelled after Star Trek or Star Wars.

Steve Walmsley:
I've shamelessly stolen from many universes :)

The very early combat started with Starfire but the missile ranges didn't really make sense. Once I started adjusting, it became based primarily on a mixture of Harpoon (modern naval combat) and the Honor Harrington novels. Many other sources have had influence though. The armour is inspired by a FASA game called Interceptor. Other elements of the game came from Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, Starship Troopers and Warhammer 40k. Many small details come from other games - for instance the idea of wrecks came from EVE Online. A lot of the mechanics have evolved from player requests and suggestions.

Xkill:
What? No major inspiration from Homeworld!? Shameful display!  :)

Steve Walmsley:
Also, every TN mineral has appeared in at least one episode of Star Trek :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

It appears that you have not registered with Aurora 4x. To register, please click here...
There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version