Author Topic: Medal Awards  (Read 18814 times)

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
Re: Medal Awards
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2019, 04:28:31 PM »
How about a medal for reaching X years old while in service?

I award my staff a medal if they make it to 100 years old before retiring.

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2019, 04:53:28 PM »
Will there be a limit on the amount of medals a commander can have like there is in VB6? You may have already addressed this when you implemented commanders, but I can't recall if this was changed.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2019, 10:08:24 AM »
Will there be a limit on the amount of medals a commander can have like there is in VB6? You may have already addressed this when you implemented commanders, but I can't recall if this was changed.

Not at the moment. The issue may be display but there is room for plenty of medals.

Offline zatomic

• Petty Officer
  • z
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2019, 01:32:47 PM »
Travel Conditions:

Made X jumps (all officers)
Made X jumps (commanding officer)
Traveled X million km (all officers)
Traveled X million km (commanding officer)

All officers, meaning commander, bridge crew, commanders of docked parasites, officers or teams on board for transport, commanders in ground units on board, etc. Commanding officer meaning just the commander in charge of the ship making the jump or traveling. The commander would get credit in both categories. I would exclude orbital movement from the travel condition.

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2019, 01:38:15 PM »
War condition

A member of the army or navy and in system when an alien home planet surrenders.

Offline Kelewan

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2019, 02:21:48 PM »
How are medals for non commanding officers handled?

I would like an option to award special medals to to them for tasks related to their station,
e.g. to the Science Officer for survey or tactical for killing enemy missiles and ships

Offline Doren

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2019, 03:27:02 PM »
Detect X new alien designs
Detect X new alien ships
Make X new contacts with alien species

Kill X troops with orbital bombardment

Kill X boarders while defending your ship
Survive X boardings

Survive X strength internal explosion (ship survives)

Discover breathable athmosphere planet
Discover 0/1/2 colony cost planet

Specific Skill at level X
Highest skill at level X
Total sum of skills at X

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2019, 03:39:22 PM »
Is it too early to ask for 'Ship' awards?  For example, a Fleet 'E' award for Highest Crew Experience or a Proficiency award for TF Training >= 80%.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2019, 04:20:42 PM »
I know it might sound silly, but honestly automated medals are the best feature so far. Small changes big impact. Lovin it.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2019, 04:29:32 PM »

I would like an option to award special medals to to them for tasks related to their station,
e.g. to the Science Officer for survey or tactical for killing enemy missiles and ships

At the moment it is just the ship commander. I am open to suggestions about how other officers should benefit. A couple of options:

Option 1) It would be possible to have officer-type-specific conditions, such as Science Officer on Ship that Discovers 10 jump Points, or Tactical Officer on Ship that Destroys 100,000 tons of Shipping, etc.

Option 2) Junior officers receive a partial benefit for each measurement, based on the type of measurement (so Tactical Officer receives half credit for destroyed tonnage or Science Officer gets half credit for survey achievement, etc.).

Other suggestions welcome.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2019, 04:30:58 PM »
I know it might sound silly, but honestly automated medals are the best feature so far. Small changes big impact. Lovin it.

Yes, it really adds to the character development aspect. I should have done it years ago :)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2019, 04:36:24 PM »
Is it too early to ask for 'Ship' awards?  For example, a Fleet 'E' award for Highest Crew Experience or a Proficiency award for TF Training >= 80%.

Probably won't have this immediately, but I am recording everything I need to do it.

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2019, 04:37:16 PM »
Are the medal conditions "and" or "or" conditions?

Also, and this may be a longer term suggestion, would it be possible to add an option to give a medal to all officers in a fleet or ship? This would make it a lot easier to distribute campaign or battle medals.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2019, 05:26:06 PM »

At the moment it is just the ship commander. I am open to suggestions about how other officers should benefit. A couple of options:

Option 1) It would be possible to have officer-type-specific conditions, such as Science Officer on Ship that Discovers 10 jump Points, or Tactical Officer on Ship that Destroys 100,000 tons of Shipping, etc.

Option 2) Junior officers receive a partial benefit for each measurement, based on the type of measurement (so Tactical Officer receives half credit for destroyed tonnage or Science Officer gets half credit for survey achievement, etc.).

Other suggestions welcome.

I noted a few officer type specific medals in my list earlier in the thread.

Regarding partial credit; I'd advise letting the junior officers take full credit, and offering partial credit as an option for the CO. The CO isn't at the station doing the work themselves after all, and they're going to get credit for a lot of things.

Also would it be possible to assign different medals to different types of officers for the same task? Like giving a ground forces officers a different medal for destroying the same amount of ground forces as a naval officer? And can we be automatically assign a type of medal for destroying a specific ground unit type? Because being able to assign a 'SEAD Mission' award for the ships flying into the teeth of orbital defenses to destroy the STO guns sounds like a good idea to me.

Wouldn't be unusual for such ships to get savaged in the exchange.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2019, 05:57:55 PM »
Are the medal conditions "and" or "or" conditions?

Also, and this may be a longer term suggestion, would it be possible to add an option to give a medal to all officers in a fleet or ship? This would make it a lot easier to distribute campaign or battle medals.

Award to everyone in the fleet would be a new version of a manual award. Should be relatively straightforward.

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue