Author Topic: First 4.0 Combat  (Read 2183 times)

Offline welchbloke (OP)

• Vice Admiral
First 4.0 Combat
« on: May 31, 2009, 08:41:40 AM »
I fought my first v4.0 battle against an AI race last night.  The result was never in doubt (them 5 vessels, 4 beam with 1 CG; me 3CV,4BB, 5CG, 10CA, 4DDE, 7FG), but what I found difficult to judge was the necessary throw weight of missiles to ensure a kill without wasting too many missiles.  I used about 50% of my magazine capacity but wasted something like 30% of my magazine capacity after the last AI ship became a nuclear fireball.  So the question to those with more combat experience is:

How do you plan your missile battle against a new enemy?

I appreciate that as you build up intelligence you get a far better feel for how much firepower to use but for those initial engagements I either need much bigger Magazines or I need to improve my management of salvos.

BTW Steve, I love the addition of AI it makes for a much better game for me.  No more setting up chinese walls in your head between 'us' and 'them'  :D
Welchbloke

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: First 4.0 Combat
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 04:01:43 PM »
I've found missiles cheap enough that I can overkill and let the extras detonate. Though it might be interesting to enable a minesweeper type ship to clean a battlesite of unexpended ordnance post-battle.

Offline welchbloke (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 01:55:28 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
I've found missiles cheap enough that I can overkill and let the extras detonate. Though it might be interesting to enable a minesweeper type ship to clean a battlesite of unexpended ordnance post-battle.
I agree that in the strategic context missiles are cheap and overkill isn't a problem.  Operationally, I've learnt a lesson from the battle mentioned above (against precursors I've now deduced) about keeping my fleet support TGs (containing my colliers) closer to the combat forces.  Tactically, however, overkill is an issue. If I empty my magazines before the enemy are destroyed because I've fought a series of engagements and overkilled in every one then suddenly I'm at a major disadvantage if I can't break contact to get back to my colliers before the next battle.  Wow, I'm concerned about logistics what a weird feeling  :D
Welchbloke

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 04:45:43 PM »
If your targets are in range, shifting target lock to them will send the overkill missiles to the new target.

One reason I started putting a sensor on missiles.

Offline welchbloke (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 05:47:26 PM »
If your targets are in range, shifting target lock to them will send the overkill missiles to the new target.

One reason I started putting a sensor on missiles.
I've been doing that, unfortunately, I'm still wasting something like 30% of my magazines due to overkill of all available targets.
Welchbloke

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 11:14:01 PM »
I've done that too... Emptied my magazines at the mobile forces and had nothing for the planets. Though... a freighter with an automated mine and mass driver...  :twisted:

Offline welchbloke (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 12:39:27 PM »
I've done that too... Emptied my magazines at the mobile forces and had nothing for the planets. Though... a freighter with an automated mine and mass driver...  :twisted: I like your thinking.
Welchbloke

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 01:27:13 PM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
I've done that too... Emptied my magazines at the mobile forces and had nothing for the planets. Though... a freighter with an automated mine and mass driver...  :twisted: I like your thinking.

The only drawback to this method is that you would need to set up a colony on the planet. And that might lead your civilians (bless their idiot little hearts) to plant valuable materiel there. ;)

Offline welchbloke (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 01:30:54 PM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"

The only drawback to this method is that you would need to set up a colony on the planet. And that might lead your civilians (bless their idiot little hearts) to plant valuable materiel there. :)
Welchbloke

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 03:18:40 PM »
The fact tht combat is (or has recently) taken place will keep the civilians out, and you can always declare an exclusion zone.