Author Topic: 4.2 Bugs  (Read 6269 times)

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Re: 4.2 Bugs
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2009, 04:39:45 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
Two things in the "Manage SY" tab of the pop (F2) window that are deadly in combination:

1)  Some of the actions in the window cause the selected SY to pop back to the first one in the list.  This is not very noticable, and leads one to give commands to the wrong (first) SY
I have added code to all of the shipyard activity buttons so the same shipyard will remain selected.

2)  Giving an "add capacity" order to a SY that's already working on adding capacity stomps the order that's in progress without popping up an "are you sure" box.

In combination, this means that I'm regularly (every few days of real time) stomping "add capacity" tasks on my first SY, losing all progress on the task.

I think similar things happen with retooling, e.g. "add capacity" will stomp a retool that's in progress.  I remember that there is  at least one action that pops an "are you sure" box in this dialog, but I don't remember what it is - maybe changing what you're retooling to.
If you delete an add capacity order you will get a partial completion. So if you are 40% of the way through an add 1000 tons task and you cancel it, you will still upgrade the shipyard by 400 tons. You get a check for an existing retool task as that is an all or nothing proposition. However, I don't seem to have applied the same logic to overwriting a task rather than deleting it. Therefore I have added a simple "<ShipyardName> already has a task in progress. Are you sure you want to cancel the existing shipyard activity?" check when you try to overwrite a task.

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2009, 04:42:15 PM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
I am getting game freezes after after a minimum of 10days increment.

That is to say, that at the 11th 1 day increment it has hung and became 'not responding' with 1 CPU core running at 100%.

No error messages and I can't think of anything that I am doing that may be causing it. So probably an NPR?
Don't know the cause but it sounds like an infinite loop. NPR code sounds like a good place to start though. If the game database is still at the same point, please could you send me a copy. If it is working now or you restarted, it doesn't matter - I'll try stepping through the NPR 5-day code,

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2009, 04:44:44 PM »
Formatting on "Shipping Lines" page needs some tweaking:

The "close" button is almost completely hidden by the edge of the page.

When more Shipping lines are active than will fit in the panel, a scroll bar doesn't appear.

John
Both those are working fine for me. It sounds like the right hand edge of the window is being cut off.

I just checked and that window is wider than 1280 pixels - I'll need to make some adjustments to it

Steve

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2009, 05:12:22 PM »
Quote from: "SteveAlt"
If you delete an add capacity order you will get a partial completion. So if you are 40% of the way through an add 1000 tons task and you cancel it, you will still upgrade the shipyard by 400 tons. You get a check for an existing retool task as that is an all or nothing proposition.
Cool!!!!  So I can launch an "add capacity" task without it blocking me (from fear of losing work) from retooling for another ship class 1/2 way through?
However, I don't seem to have applied the same logic to overwriting a task rather than deleting it. Therefore I have added a simple "<ShipyardName> already has a task in progress. Are you sure you want to cancel the existing shipyard activity?" check when you try to overwrite a task.
Thanks!!

John

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2009, 05:21:52 PM »
Weirdness with cycling orders:

I have a freighter taking infrastructure from Earth to Mars on infinite loop.  Orders are

Refuel at Earth
Load infrastructure at Earth
Unload infrastructure at Mars

in that order (with the cycle button checked).  On the system map (F3) the ship shows at about 1/2 way back to Earth, and both F3 and F12 claim 2:11:05 as an ETA.  I wanted to change over to carrying construction factories, so started to delete the last two orders.  The first time I hit the Remove button though I get a pop-up "The current order is still being carried out and has & 0:00:49 time remaining.  Are you sure you wish to delete it?"  Note that I just restarted Aurora after going out to dinner, so whatever's messed up is probably in the DB.

My prime suspect here is that Aurora is mixing up orders between my freighter and one of the civies (there's one at Mars right now).
The message (which is badly formatted and I have now fixed that particular issue) should appear if you attempt to delete a partly completed order that requires the passage of time, such as load/unload or surveying, etc.. In this case an order with 49 minutes remaining. I haven't seen it appear in the situation above but I will do some testing. Did you by any chance press yes to the delete and see if the order disappeared?

As far as I can tell from the code, the check is performed on the last order in the queue and it applies to the active fleet only. The active fleet is set when you select it on the window. It's a straightforward piece of code so I don't think the problem lies there. Perhaps the active fleet is somehow being changed. I'll get back to you on this one.

Steve

Yes I pressed yes, and yes it disappeared - I'm not sure that it disappeared in the correct order though.

You might want to look for a similar bug (object vs. DB) to the one described above for civies - this feels like the same "duplicate sequence number" issue, even though I didn't have any special orders set.  OTOH, I did have the "repeat in a loop" flag set, which might go through a similar piece of special processing code.  It's possible that my freight did an entire "lap" of its order queue, in a single update, which ISTR gets handled in a difference branch of the code, which in turn might be generating a duplicate sequence number.

I think I've only seen this one time in my ships (as opposed to the civie freighter bug you discussed above), so whatever it is I suspect it might be a weird corner case.

John

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2009, 07:33:21 PM »
If you delete an add capacity order you will get a partial completion. So if you are 40% of the way through an add 1000 tons task and you cancel it, you will still upgrade the shipyard by 400 tons. You get a check for an existing retool task as that is an all or nothing proposition.
Cool!!!!  So I can launch an "add capacity" task without it blocking me (from fear of losing work) from retooling for another ship class 1/2 way through?
Yes, although you will need to use the delete button to get the partial completion before doing something else.

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2009, 07:34:01 PM »
Formatting on "Shipping Lines" page needs some tweaking:

The "close" button is almost completely hidden by the edge of the page.

When more Shipping lines are active than will fit in the panel, a scroll bar doesn't appear.

John
Both those are working fine for me. It sounds like the right hand edge of the window is being cut off.

I just checked and that window is wider than 1280 pixels - I'll need to make some adjustments to it
I have reduced the width of the Shipping Lines window so it fits in 1280x1024.

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2009, 10:15:43 PM »
Quote from: "Manekaalecto"
Multi stage missiles error. After releasing second stage error pops out:

Error in SecondStageSeparation
Error 3265 was generated by DAO.Fields
Object not found in this collection.

(Third line is approximate translation).

Second stage is travelling with a speed 1000 times less than it should. (E.g. Anti ship missile with 17 000 km/s speed moves with speed 17 km/s when released as second stage).

Every time step (until the first stage runs out of fuel) the same error pops out and first stage tries to release second stage once again.

That results in new missile contact, consisting of  0 second stages, e.g. "0x Enforcer Anti-ship Missile released by Salvo #937"

This was tested on single and multiple second  stage release with release distance 999 000 km and 83 000 000 km, on two separate games.

Aurora was version 4.22 on laptop with US regional settings in Windows and forced 1280 X 1024 screen resolution.
I found two bugs that were causing the above problems. The first was relatively straightforward as I was trying to assign incorrect database fields to an new missile object when the second statge separated. which caused the Object not found in this collection error. I have corrected the field names. The second problem was that at the start of each turn details of each missile salvo are loaded into memory, partly from the missile salvo table and partly from the master missile table. Unfortunately I was loading the ID of the second stage missile from the master missile tables, not the missile salvo table. The code was correctly setting the second stage ID of the in-flight missiles to zero but then next increment it was being reset from the master missile table, giving you an endless supply of second stages. Corrected for the next version, which should be out later today (13th). So far, the next update will not require any database changes so it won't affect ongoing campaigns.

Steve

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2009, 10:32:41 PM »
I am getting game freezes after after a minimum of 10days increment.

That is to say, that at the 11th 1 day increment it has hung and became 'not responding' with 1 CPU core running at 100%.

No error messages and I can't think of anything that I am doing that may be causing it. So probably an NPR?
Don't know the cause but it sounds like an infinite loop. NPR code sounds like a good place to start though. If the game database is still at the same point, please could you send me a copy. If it is working now or you restarted, it doesn't matter - I'll try stepping through the NPR 5-day code,

Steve

I was able to restart Aurora and progress the time by another couple of 5-day increments after each hang.

If you are stepping through the code, you might want to look at the mineral stuff? I can't remember who, but somebody mentioned they noticed the hang happening whenever an NPR was low on a mineral (probably Duranium). So I went into the DB and found their homeworld mineral entries and upped their Duranium which was nearly gone from what I could tell. I didn't get the error for another couple of months after that.

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2009, 10:37:50 PM »
I was able to restart Aurora and progress the time by another couple of 5-day increments after each hang.

If you are stepping through the code, you might want to look at the mineral stuff? I can't remember who, but somebody mentioned they noticed the hang happening whenever an NPR was low on a mineral (probably Duranium). So I went into the DB and found their homeworld mineral entries and upped their Duranium which was nearly gone from what I could tell. I didn't get the error for another couple of months after that.
The evidence is definitely mounting in that area. I have reduced an NPR to no minerals in my game but couldn't get the errors so I think it must be a combination of a mineral shortage and something specific that an NPR tries to build. I haven't tracked it down yet though.

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2009, 11:15:15 PM »
Quote from: "Paul M"
Steve in 4.22 I created a Xenological team then a new officer came up that I wanted to assign to it.

First I tried to assign one of the existing officers to "not assigned" in the officers window under the assignment section team and this didn't work, he remained in the team.

Second I tried "disband team" thinking I would just remake the team with the new person in it.  This does not work as the old team members no longer show up as assignable to the new team in the team creation window.

Is there no way to make them so you can assign who you want and change them over time?
The unassign code wasn't picking up team members correctly. I have fixed it for the next version. Now when you unassign a team member, he is correctly set as unassigned, the team is reduced to four people and the team rating is reduced accordingly. Because it only has four members, the team is then an eligible assignment for other officers.

I have fixed the problem with disbanding teams on the Pop window so the members are correctly unassigned.

I have also fixed the Death and Retirement code so that dead or retired officers are correctly removed from teams

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2009, 11:17:25 PM »
Quote from: "Paul M"
Steve in 4.22 I created a Xenological team then a new officer came up that I wanted to assign to it.

First I tried to assign one of the existing officers to "not assigned" in the officers window under the assignment section team and this didn't work, he remained in the team.

Second I tried "disband team" thinking I would just remake the team with the new person in it.  This does not work as the old team members no longer show up as assignable to the new team in the team creation window.

Is there no way to make them so you can assign who you want and change them over time?

I think I ran into this in 4.0b - I think assigning to an actual command (as opposed to "unassigned") will work.
Yes it will work as a workaround. The correct unassignment code was set up for moving to a new assignment but I had forgotten to add it to an unassignment. Fixed anyway for the next version (which shouldn't be far away)

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2009, 11:25:36 PM »
Quote from: "rdgam"
Another new system generated a new NPC with a race name of 35 characters.  I got an error about field too long to fit and then several about null race entries.
I would even get the message bringing up my galactic map (Error in LoadRaceData).  I fixed this by deleting the race.
I have added some checks to the race generation code to avoid race names that are too long.

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2009, 11:28:51 PM »
Quote from: "rdgam"
I repaired a ship with battle damage and the event said it added the lost crew, but the ship details still had the losses.  I fixed the record in the ship table manually.
Fixed for next version

Steve

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2009, 11:34:25 PM »
I just mentioned over in a mechanics thread a terraforming bug I ran into a few days back.  If you start terraforming a world with no atmosphere, and your terraformer doesn't have enough oomph to get an amount of gas that rounds to a number greater than zero when converted to currency, then you get a divide-by-zero error whenever Aurora tries to calculate gas percentages (both in environment tab of pop (F2) screen and in system screen (F9) - there might be more places too).  This continues until you've added enough gas that it will round to 1.e-4.

John