Author Topic: 4.46 Bugs  (Read 9051 times)

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: 4.46 Bugs
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2009, 02:26:46 AM »
Steve
If its any help then when I recover 20x alpha 300/7Shields the event record said recovered 20x blank. Up till now no problem in recovering components.

I have noticed however that if you have a component you can produce and then recover some from a wreck your design will not substitute your homemade version for the recovered version. EG I recover thermal sensor 1-11 from a precursor wreck. I can also produce same sensor. I design a ship using this sensor, but use the recovered component. when I produce more ships than I have pre-made components for I am told there are none in stock, even though I can mde this item :?

Regards
IanD

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2009, 02:40:25 AM »
Quote from: "IanD"
I have noticed however that if you have a component you can produce and then recover some from a wreck your design will not substitute your homemade version for the recovered version. EG I recover thermal sensor 1-11 from a precursor wreck. I can also produce same sensor. I design a ship using this sensor, but use the recovered component. when I produce more ships than I have pre-made components for I am told there are none in stock, even though I can mde this item :?
You aren't actually making the same item as far as the game is concerned. If two races both build the same size sensor using the same tech then they might have the same stats but in the database they are two separate systems with different IDs. If you recovered something that isn't designed as a component, such as a terraforming module for example, then your terraforming module and the alien ones will all use the same ID so they can be substituted.

Steve

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2009, 03:00:10 AM »
Wow!!!! 15 minute turn around time!!! Impressive :D

Regards
IanD

Offline tanq_tonic

• Petty Officer
  • t
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2009, 03:29:51 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
Quote from: "tanq_tonic"
Am in a game where the processing gets stuck in 30 min steps for each press of the 5 day button, 6 hours for press of the 30 day button.

Have been through 2 game months with this behavior, making this essentially unplayable.  

Same thing happened to me last game.  And the game before that.  In the current, I don't seem to be throwing the exception, since I am really doing nothing.

I can understand when the process goes into an NPR battle or something like that, and the game clock slows down to the "game-second range" for the duration.  This is differentl since the "game stops" are seemingly happening at the first sub-pulse of the turn cycle.  Every smacking time.  As I said, the game time has now advanced two months with this nonsense.

This is incredibly frustrating.
If it is happening in every game then something weird is going on. Are you seeing any errors or the same event repeated every time, or is the game just advancing by the minimum every time with no events?

Steve

No events at the stops, except for the 5-day issues.  Nothing in the player mode, nothing in SM when SM is turned on.

I turned off all my econ activity (installation building etc) and the game then allowed 12 hour steps when pressing the 5 day key.

Then I came to a "officer purge" event, and now have 4 hour steps when pressing the 5-day key.

I need to back off the game statement.  It turns out that all three games came from the same db stored initially.  I got frustrated, and went back to the beginning.  Repeat, wash rinse, and here I am again.....  :D

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2009, 03:31:41 AM »
Steve
If its any help then when I recover 20x alpha 300/7Shields the event record said recovered 20x blank. Up till now no problem in recovering components.
Thanks - that is useful information. Please let me know if you have problems with any other component types in future.

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2009, 03:35:21 AM »
No events at the stops, except for the 5-day issues.  Nothing in the player mode, nothing in SM when SM is turned on.

I turned off all my econ activity (installation building etc) and the game then allowed 12 hour steps when pressing the 5 day key.

Then I came to a "officer purge" event, and now have 4 hour steps when pressing the 5-day key.

I need to back off the game statement.  It turns out that all three games came from the same db stored initially.  I got frustrated, and went back to the beginning.  Repeat, wash rinse, and here I am again.....  :))

Steve

Offline alanwebber

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • a
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2009, 03:46:18 AM »
Steve

I'm also having increment problems. You may remember I reported being stuck in a 15 second increment which went on for hours in my last game. I started a new one and now have a 15 minute increment with no messages about NPR's fighting etc and no error messages. In auto mode it runs 15 minutes increments with the odd 30 minutes thrown in. If I run in manual mode, it runs for 15 minutes each turn for any selection unless I choose a 3 hour total time with 1 hour increments when it runs for 1 hour or 1 hour 15 minutes. This has gone on for over 1 month game time.
Regards

Alan Webber

Offline tanq_tonic

• Petty Officer
  • t
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2009, 04:10:15 AM »

I need to back off the game statement.  It turns out that all three games came from the same db stored initially.  I got frustrated, and went back to the beginning.  Repeat, wash rinse, and here I am again.....  :))

Steve

Sent from my gmail account; hotmail gets torqued w/ attachments more than 10 meg.

Thanks, and happy hunting.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2009, 06:18:40 AM »

Sent from my gmail account; hotmail gets torqued w/ attachments more than 10 meg.

Thanks, and happy hunting.
I've tracked it down but it was a little obscure and I would never have found it without your database. When an NPR detects something interesting, it creates a point of interest for future reference - sometimes an urgent point of interest for particularly important finds. As each NPR fleet goes through its priority list for actions, it will eventually reach a command to go and investigate nearby points of interest (if it can't find anything more urgent to do). In this case, one of the NPRs has previously detected something in a system that belongs to another NPR and created an urgent point of interest (POI). The fleet causing the problem in this game starts in the adjacent system to the POI and as it works its way down its priority list it eventually reaches a command to find a nearby system that contains an urgent POI and move to that system. It checks its records and remembers the POI in the adjacent system so it creates some movement and transit orders and pops into the system with the POI. Higher up the priority list than 'move to a system with a POI' is 'move to the closest POI in the current system' so that gets activated first. In the code for that routine I set a starting distance of ten billion kilometers and start looking for POIs. As each POI in the system is checked, the distance to that POI is calculated and checked against the closest one found so far. The first POI is checked against the ten billion kilometer starting value.

Unfortunately, in this case the system primary is a white sub-giant with a high mass, which means jump points can form at considerable distances. When the fleet entered the system with the POI, it did so through a jump point ten point six billion kilometers from the star. Which means when it checks for the POI, which is near the star, it find it is eleven billion kilometers away. As this is greater than the starting distance, it never flags the POI at all. As it can't find a POI, it moves on down the priority list until it reaches 'move to nearest population'. It finds one in a nearby system and transits back through the jump point. As soon as the next increment comes around, the fleet now finds that 'move to a system with a POI' is the highest priority that it can fulfil so it jumps back into the system with the POI and repeats the whole cycle again. Even that yoyo situation wouldn't cause the problem you are facing by itself. However, the system with the POI is the home system of another NPR. There are actually two fleets from the first NPR, jumping back and forth through the jump point in opposite directions. Each time they arrive in the system with the POI the program also performs a check for transiting into a system with aliens. As this is the home system of the second NPRs, that check is successful and halts the increment at the end of the current sub-pulse. So as you can see, it took a fairly strange combination of circumstances to cause the problem.

I fixed it by simply changing the 10 billion starting distance for the POI check to 50 billion and now everything is working fine. However, because this is a code change rather than a data change, I can't fix your game, even though it is working now with the latest version of the development code. The next release will fix it but it also changes the DB, which means you can't keep the game anyway. The only thing I could try is to delete all the waypoints in your DB and send it back to you as NPRs use waypoints to store their POIs. Removing the POI might remove the issue, at least in the short term. Let me know if you want me to try that or if you want to wait for the next version, which should be in the next 2-3 days.

Sorry that was rather a long-winded explanation :)

Steve

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2009, 06:57:25 AM »
Minor issue in ship design
CIWS counts as a commercial system but if you limit components to commercial systems it is not visible

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2009, 07:17:54 AM »
Is there a way to obsolete CIWS? I do not see them in the tech report screen.

This may be a feature but not sure whether it's intended or not. When you dump your engineers on a planet with ruins should they just go round activating anything they find before the Xeno team have identified who's it was and how many potential installations are present? I can't say its a problem but just curious.

Regards
IanD

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2009, 09:43:28 AM »
I found some ruins and created a 0 pop colony on it then moved a Xeno team over. The xeno team had been on planet for over a year but nothing has been said from them. I disbanded the team and reformed it on the planet but still, many months later it hasn't said diddly-squat. The summary tab still has '??' and says that a xeno team is required.

Steve, for the next version, would it be possible to do the DBUpdate that you have done before? Or, if you don't mind, I could have a go at it using SQLDiff I use at work. I really don't want to loose my current setup - it is the best I have had to date!

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2009, 10:09:17 AM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
I found some ruins and created a 0 pop colony on it then moved a Xeno team over. The xeno team had been on planet for over a year but nothing has been said from them. I disbanded the team and reformed it on the planet but still, many months later it hasn't said diddly-squat. The summary tab still has '??' and says that a xeno team is required.

My Xeno team is slow, just reached 138, started from 70. Took two to two-and-a-half years to survey their first set of ruins :D . No need to wait for those slow xeno people, just go for it!

Regards
IanD

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2009, 01:27:18 PM »
Quote from: "Andrew"
Minor issue in ship design
CIWS counts as a commercial system but if you limit components to commercial systems it is not visible
Fixed for next version

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2009, 01:30:14 PM »
Is there a way to obsolete CIWS? I do not see them in the tech report screen.
They are on the tech screen for v4.5. Its a DB change though so I couldn't fix it in any of the earlier versions. In the meantime, you should be able to obsolete them using the Obso Comp button on the Class Design window.

This may be a feature but not sure whether it's intended or not. When you dump your engineers on a planet with ruins should they just go round activating anything they find before the Xeno team have identified who's it was and how many potential installations are present? I can't say its a problem but just curious.
Yes, that is a bug. I forget to check the ruins had been explored by the Xeo team :). It's fixed for the next version.

Steve