Author Topic: Windows 7 and Vista Issues  (Read 49713 times)

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Re: Windows 7 and Vista Issues
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2010, 11:31:10 PM »
There is a small program that installs some (maybe just the one actually) of the needed DLLs, but for the life of me I can not find the thread in these forums. Think it is 'imageResize' or something?

Maybe install it first and then try installing Aurora again?

Sorry not much help, it seems that everybody has a slightly different issue with Win7!

Offline Deutschbag

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Discord Username: Pwnzerfaust
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2011, 12:21:07 PM »
I just put together a new Windows 7 64 bit machine and I'm having some problems.

I install and put in the updates and all that, and then I try to run the game and all I get is a barrage of errors.

Errors are as follows, in the order that they come up.

Error 76 was generated by Aurora
Path not found

Error 3265 was generated by DAO. Fields
Item not found in this collection

Error 3061 was generated by DAO. Database
Too few parameters.  Expected 2.

Error 91 was generated by Aurora
Object variable or With block variable not set
(That one comes up twice, and then the next one comes up. )

Error 3078 was generated by DAO. Database
The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot find the input table or query 'NameTheme'.  Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly.

And then the Error 91 message comes up ad infinitum until I force end the Aurora process with task manager.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2011, 12:28:21 PM »
I just put together a new Windows 7 64 bit machine and I'm having some problems.

I install and put in the updates and all that, and then I try to run the game and all I get is a barrage of errors.

Errors are as follows, in the order that they come up.

Error 76 was generated by Aurora
Path not found

Error 3265 was generated by DAO. Fields
Item not found in this collection

Error 3061 was generated by DAO. Database
Too few parameters.  Expected 2.

Error 91 was generated by Aurora
Object variable or With block variable not set
(That one comes up twice, and then the next one comes up. )

Error 3078 was generated by DAO. Database
The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot find the input table or query 'NameTheme'.  Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly.

And then the Error 91 message comes up ad infinitum until I force end the Aurora process with task manager.

It looks like the program is not finding the database. This is the Stevefire.mdb file. Check it is in the installation directory.

Steve

Offline Deutschbag

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2011, 12:32:43 PM »
It is.

That's my Aurora folder. Stevefire.mdb is the fifth object from the bottom.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 12:36:37 PM by Deutschbag »

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2011, 12:41:15 PM »
It is.

That's my Aurora folder. Stevefire.mdb is the fifth object from the bottom.

I haven't really dealt with Windows 7 issues as there are other more knowledgeable people on the forums. However, I seem to recall some players having issues when they installed Aurora in the program files directory. It may be worth having a search through the forum for something along those lines.

I am running Aurora on Windows 7 myself but its a development environement so not really comparable.

Steve

Offline Deutschbag

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2011, 12:42:15 PM »
Hmm, alright.

I actually think the problem might be that the install program isn't managing to install the necessary DLLs to the system32 folder. Is there any fix for that, maybe?

Offline MattyD

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2011, 12:44:16 PM »
This might not be any help as my situation involves XP but I cocked an install up and aurora 5.2 cannot find stevefire.mdb.

However, I have an old install and when I run that (c:\program files\aurora514\aurora.exe) and then close it down i can then run 5.2 (from c:\program files\aurora\aurora.exe)  fine.

Obviously 7 and Vista will be different but its something else for the desperate to try.
My Newbie AAR

Offline Deutschbag

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2011, 12:45:53 PM »
Oh! I just did what someone else suggested, installing to my user documents folder, and it worked.

Strange!

Offline jackbrownii

• Gold Supporter
  • Leading Rate
  • j
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2011, 11:35:58 PM »
Not strange.  I've been dealing with W7 for a program at work.  Without having administrator privileges, a program cannot write to files in the program files folder.  Aka, the installation folder.  Such files would need to be in c:\program data\program name\.  Or the user documents folder.  MS is trying to keep things safe for you.  :)

Offline Nomad

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • N
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2012, 06:59:34 PM »
I've got everything installed fine, and the program runs smooth.  I've been playing this for a while now. 

Got a new HP laptop with windows 7 and the windows, even in reduced height mode, seem just too big for the screen.  Normally this isn't a problem but in the Task Groups window, I absolutely cannot get the bottom of the window to show enough so I can create a new task group.  On XP I can push the window as high as possible, but windows 7 has the window-tops snap back onto the visible desktop.

I don't feel like installing a separate OS simply to run a program just yet, but I guess I may have to if nobody has a solution / there is no solution.

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2012, 11:55:16 PM »
I've got everything installed fine, and the program runs smooth.  I've been playing this for a while now. 

Got a new HP laptop with windows 7 and the windows, even in reduced height mode, seem just too big for the screen.  Normally this isn't a problem but in the Task Groups window, I absolutely cannot get the bottom of the window to show enough so I can create a new task group.  On XP I can push the window as high as possible, but windows 7 has the window-tops snap back onto the visible desktop.

I don't feel like installing a separate OS simply to run a program just yet, but I guess I may have to if nobody has a solution / there is no solution.
I have the same problem.  What I do is configure my laptop so that it thinks there's another screen above the main one, then set the screen to extend mode.  Set it up for a projector or something like that to accomplish this.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2016, 11:20:48 PM »
For people having issues with missing OCX DLL. I have included all what you might need here (so you don't need to scour the net or download big apps for it)

Simply extract the one you need into your game folder. Or if the problem persist follow the regsvr32 path..
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 11:25:00 PM by Mor »

Offline RandalllFap

• RandalllFapOS
  • Able Ordinary Rate
  • R
Windows 7 and Vista Issues
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2017, 03:02:28 AM »
I have a Windows Vista Home computer that I am trying to restore to factory settings.  I thought there was a way to do this in the Windows Vista Backup and Restore Center, but that only gives me the option to restore to Oct.  21 or Oct.  22 settings.  I never made a factory-based restored point.  I also did not make a recovery cd.  Does this mean I cannot restore to the factory settings?
hxxp: seofabryka. com

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2017, 06:52:22 AM »
Windows anywhere past XP confuses me greatly, however Ive noticed that 7 8 and 10 all generally have the ability to make a recovery cd as long as the recovery partition is intact. Have you checked that it's not possible to do so? I know my mother's pc seems to have wiped the recovery partition when it was upgraded to windows 10, which is pretty stupid, but windows 10 is easy enough to download straight from microsoft.
BTW this isn't exactly a windows help forum, but the off topic subforum is as good a place as any for this kind of discussion.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "