Author Topic: Preservation Campaign - Prelude  (Read 4002 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 07:06:27 AM »
Quote from: "TrueZuluwiz"
If for some reason the Spanish Inquisition were added, (and I am expecting it to happen) then we would at least know what they would be using for weapons, right? (Fear, surprise, etc.)

Don't forget ruthless efficiency and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline kdstubbs

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • k
Preserver Campaign Prelude
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2006, 10:15:55 AM »
Hello, been away for the holidays have only just gotten to this post.  On the subject of the Mongols, you might want to reassess them.  The standard Mongol Army was organized into a decimal system, nine men and a commander, at every echelon all the way to the Tumen.  The troops were equipped with Mail Armor, over silk undershirts--to allow anyone hit by an arrow to have the arrow removed by gently tugging on the uncut silk tunic.  The horsemen had four horses per man, trained to run with the lead horse.  The armaments were a mix of weapons:  Long Range Bow, Short Range Bow, Sabre, and lance.  The arrows used included incendiary, armor piercing, signal, smoke, and even explosive.  The Mongols employed extremely sophisticated operational scale tactics--based on the great hunt.  

The great hunt was organized on a baseline of over 150 kilometers wide, the entire Mongol Army participating.  They would drive forward en mass, to trap every animal on the Steppes, encircling them and then killing all trapped predators at the end of the hunt--arranged for at a specific location.  The entire army was controlled by a series of Arrow riders.  

When Genghis Khan hit China, he had 100,000 troops, he conquered China, adopted their siege warfare technologies, and then used it to wipe out the Moslem Central Asian Empires.  His sons extended his empire to Russia and Poland, and Hungary, reaching the Adriatic at one point.  Later the Mongols invided the Abbasid Dynasty and wiped out the city of Baghdad, only being stopped by the Mamluk Army of Eqypt.  Later the Mongol Lords of Persia--the Ilkan Dynasty, moved east into India establishing the Mugal Dynasty.  

They had Chinese and Persian Engineers with them at Kiev, when the took that city of a quarter million in five days.  They killed everyone in the city.  

I think you would find a true mongol empire with high technology very formidable

Kevin
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by kdstubbs »
Kevin Stubbs

Offline Summercat

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
Re: Preserver Campaign Prelude
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2006, 11:31:39 AM »
Quote from: "kdstubbs"
Hello, been away for the holidays have only just gotten to this post.  On the subject of the Mongols, you might want to reassess them.  The standard Mongol Army was organized into a decimal system, nine men and a commander, at every echelon all the way to the Tumen.  The troops were equipped with Mail Armor, over silk undershirts--to allow anyone hit by an arrow to have the arrow removed by gently tugging on the uncut silk tunic.  The horsemen had four horses per man, trained to run with the lead horse.  The armaments were a mix of weapons:  Long Range Bow, Short Range Bow, Sabre, and lance.  The arrows used included incendiary, armor piercing, signal, smoke, and even explosive.  The Mongols employed extremely sophisticated operational scale tactics--based on the great hunt.  

The great hunt was organized on a baseline of over 150 kilometers wide, the entire Mongol Army participating.  They would drive forward en mass, to trap every animal on the Steppes, encircling them and then killing all trapped predators at the end of the hunt--arranged for at a specific location.  The entire army was controlled by a series of Arrow riders.  

When Genghis Khan hit China, he had 100,000 troops, he conquered China, adopted their siege warfare technologies, and then used it to wipe out the Moslem Central Asian Empires.  His sons extended his empire to Russia and Poland, and Hungary, reaching the Adriatic at one point.  Later the Mongols invided the Abbasid Dynasty and wiped out the city of Baghdad, only being stopped by the Mamluk Army of Eqypt.  Later the Mongol Lords of Persia--the Ilkan Dynasty, moved east into India establishing the Mugal Dynasty.  

They had Chinese and Persian Engineers with them at Kiev, when the took that city of a quarter million in five days.  They killed everyone in the city.  

I think you would find a true mongol empire with high technology very formidable

Kevin

The Mongols were the first people to really understand that the best doctrine for war is "Above all else, Mobility." Also organized a damned good army. They were stopped only because of their internal issues.

By the way, you're wrong. HAH! They didn't kill EVERYONE at Kiev! They left the commander of the garrison alive >.>;
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Summercat »
I know who I am, what I am, when I am, where I am, and how I am. Why I am is either up to God or will give me Godlike powers.