Author Topic: The Opening of Gunny Publications Inc.  (Read 5881 times)

Offline Commodore_Areyar

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • I will format your cruiser!
Re: The Opening of Gunny Publications Inc.
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 05:38:22 PM »
Congratulations on the Corporation, how many shares have you floated?

Do you have any ambitions for including other writers in your project, or will this strictly a one man enterprise?

I'm pretty good at proofreading spelling errors (in fiction anyhow), so I'll check out your preview prose.
Got a deadline creeping up on my thesis paper though, so not too much free time available.

Arnoud

ps I hope The Gunny Saga begins preview is an unedited draft version.
For example:
Last Sentence in second timelapse ends incomplete ...never to be seen again.
Third timelapse: newscasts speak in present tense, even when recounting well known historical events. i.e. CE has done stuff, not China which had done bad things. It could work if historical Chinese actions are presented as background info recalled by a character or something similar.
p4 ...Helo to NEACAP. ? huh? hello? heli? It only takes them a minute to get to NEACAP.
p5 ...missile recap timelapse: ...as well as the rest of the world...
missile warheads targetting from MIRV mentioned twice.
there will be survivors, although, etc doesnt work maybe try something like -> he pitied the few that would survive, and hoped they would learn from the impending lesson.
p6-10 are pretty well written, though some of the nuclear death scenes seem superfluous, unless these characters return later in the story.

The first real chapter appears of better quality than the prologue. Only it is several centuries later! I now resent getting to grips with all the irrelevant, dead characters and timepoints of the prologue.
My advice: restrict the prologue to Gunny's POV, maybe beef it up a bit about his background and tie in the story elements (miracle 'cure', impending nuclear strike etc) and leave all the historical stuff and world events Gunny is unaware off for now in a compact timeline at the back (or front) of the story. This will make it both more personal and less confusing to read. Also Gunny seems a bit too much . . . bigger than life, hero, familyman, everybody loves him, etc.... probably the messiah of the wastelands before to long. Being too perfect makes him inhuman.

A bit more than 2`cents. :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 06:59:15 PM by Commodore_Areyar »
images of planets etc

Offline Þórgrímr (OP)

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 06:17:15 PM »
Quote from: "Commodore_Areyar"
Congratulations on the Corporation, how many shares have you floated?

Do you have any ambitions for including other writers in your project, or will this strictly a one man enterprise?

I'm pretty good at proofreading spelling errors (in fiction anyhow), so I'll check out your preview prose.
Got a deadline creeping up on my thesis paper though, so not too much free time available.

Arnoud

We initially floated 25K Shares. I own 15K, and my partner owns 5K. We have 5K shares still available for purchase.  :D

Cheers, Thor
Sic vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Offline Commodore_Areyar

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 08:32:24 PM »
Cool. ;)
p26: glow on any mood : gloom over any mood. Still, "put even more of a damper on his mood" or something probably better.
p27 mother and brother who were trying...
p36 sigul should be sigil
p38 A sentence is incomplete : with that they looked at eachother,  realizing the Gunny entrusted them with a vital task.
p39 narcotics: remember that in a lawless world, narcs are just as legal as alcohol. Probably used more as combat enhancers than for recreation though.

edit3: yep, like the style of the story proper much better than the P. Glad you're not offended easily, wouldnt want to anger a marine! I'm not too sure on the credability of ghoul transformation... it has equal credibility as the Hulk. ;)
I may be prejudiced as I usually read SF or fantasy, where either all is explained in pseudo scientific detail or all weird stuff is magic. :D
Will go sign in on your forum later. work first. fun later.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 06:39:13 AM by Commodore_Areyar »
images of planets etc

Offline Þórgrímr (OP)

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 09:10:02 PM »
Cool. ;)
p26: glow on any mood : gloom over any mood. Still, "put even more of a damper on his mood" or something probably better.
p27 mother and brother who were trying...

Lol, where were you when I was writing it?  :D Military acronyms can be a bit hard to follow at times.  :D As for too cruel, all I can say is not in the slightest. I am a Marine, you cannot say anything worse than I have not heard before.   :oops:

If you head on over to Gunny Pubs and join as a Beta Reader you can definitely help me put out some great stories.  :wink:  :D

Cheers, Thor

Offline Commodore_Areyar

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 08:44:38 AM »
Seems I cannot register, my email address is blocked for some reason.  

(potanconach wrigglything gmail dot com)

Cheers,
Arnoud
images of planets etc

Offline Þórgrímr (OP)

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 11:58:32 AM »
Seems I cannot register, my email address is blocked for some reason.  

(potanconach wrigglything gmail dot com)

Cheers,
Arnoud

Ah, sorry about that. I have recieved so many spams apps and posts from the Gmail accounts I had to ban that email service. I got tired or removing between 20 and 50 spammers a day. And that is with the image verification activce.  :evil:  

Here is an idea, try using potanconach wrigglything AT comcast DOT net. Then when you are registered edit your profile to get back your gmail account. Since I have it set to allow registered users to use banned email providers, for this very reason.

Cheers, Thor

Offline Þórgrímr (OP)

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2010, 10:41:15 AM »
As a news update, A Test of Wills: Discovery is in the final stages of proofing and editing. So stay tuned you lovers of space Romans.  :D

I will be posting the first Eagle Eye 28 story in the BTS! forum. So if you wish to know more about Adam Vickers, Gina Lucas, Daniel Martin, and Joran the Iskarendi, stop that forum and give it a read.  8)  

Cheers, Thor

Offline Þórgrímr (OP)

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 09:37:13 AM »
Hello my fellow gamers. It is time for another Gunny Pubs update.  :D  And when you see what they are like, leave some commentary, whether they are complimentary, or critical. All comments are most welcome!

News Feed Samples

The second Item is A Test of Wills: Discovery has finished its final edit and has been approved for release in both PDF and paperback formats. So keep an eye open for the announcement of availability.  :wink:

Cheers, Thor