Author Topic: Utilizing bare planets  (Read 2476 times)

Offline AtomikKrab (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
Utilizing bare planets
« on: April 01, 2010, 12:07:37 PM »
I started a new game, first system I found only has a jump point back to sol and 2 earth-like planets, uninhabitted no atmosphere, no minerals in system. However I am thinking about colonizing them and putting a joke pdc with 10 size 100 missile launchers and nothing else on each to cover PPV and using the planets as pure population bases. does this sound like a good idea?

Offline Maximillian

• Petty Officer
  • M
Re: Utilizing bare planets
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 08:18:11 PM »
If the gravity is suitable you'll be able to terraform them eventually.  If you put a commercial spaceport on both they may help with income by producing trade...  But that will be after a lot of investment in infrastructure and terraforming.

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 06:03:57 AM »
I probably would not bother , as I would expect to find a better candidate for terraforming nearby , however if they have a suitable temperature it may be reasonable to terraform them.
If other bodies in the systems have minerals you can build factories and send the minerals by mass driver otherwise as you suggest a research colony is a possibility or a Financial centre colony if you can build enougth of those facilities on your production centres and ship them to these worlds.
If you are using Sol as your home system I would probably use Mars before these worlds as Mars is similar but much closer so your colony ships will be more efficient

Offline AtomikKrab (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 05:32:55 PM »
Already have colonies on mars, luna, io, and titan, and venus and mercury once I get the infrastructure, I am currently building up a massive terraformer fleet, in 20 years I should have a thousand terraformer module equivlents, but those planets all they need is enough oxygen and nitrogen for the oxygen to not count as poisonous and done.