Author Topic: Official Suggestion Thread for 5.20 or later  (Read 145280 times)

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Official Suggestion Thread for 5.20 or later
« Reply #1230 on: January 11, 2016, 07:46:22 PM »
This is especially obvious in the game setup and game info entry forms, but seems to be present in all data entry forms.

Tab-stops are way out of order.

For instance on the Create New Game form, put the cursor in the Game Name textbox then hit tab, and follow the bouncing cursor.

I'm not sure about the language or the IDE that this was developed in, but Visual Studio (VS2010+ I think) gives a simple way to alter a form's tab-stops.  Open a form with controls on it in VS, Then click on View / Tab Order.  At this point, every control with a tab-stop has the tab-ID in blue, now just click on the controls in the order that the cursor should proceed to when you press tab.  When they are in the order that you want, click on View / Tab Order again.
A few things;
1) I actually have no idea what you are going on about. I have been playing this for a few years and unless you actually try to brake it (like it sounds like you did) the game is very "stable" (quotation because of the inherent faults/errors in games of this magnitude).
2) The game is in 7.1 so the 5.2 suggestion thread probably wasn't the best place.
3)I believe this was made in Visual Basic. And trying to change it would require a whole rewrite of the code Steve has already spent these past YEARS making.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline 22367rh

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • ?
« Reply #1231 on: January 11, 2016, 08:00:48 PM »
Quote from: 83athom link=topic=2828. msg84972#msg84972 date=1452563182
A few things;
1) I actually have no idea what you are going on about.  I have been playing this for a few years and unless you actually try to brake it (like it sounds like you did) the game is very "stable" (quotation because of the inherent faults/errors in games of this magnitude).
2) The game is in 7. 1 so the 5. 2 suggestion thread probably wasn't the best place.
3)I believe this was made in Visual Basic.  And trying to change it would require a whole rewrite of the code Steve has already spent these past YEARS making.

1 - he is on about how the UI tabs don't flow in a logical order which isn't a bug just more a usability thing for people who use Tab over mouse clicking into boxes.

3 - As a professional developer I can tell you that such a change wouldn't require a whole rewrite but it would be time consuming for very minimal benefit as you don't create new games all that often.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #1232 on: January 12, 2016, 09:39:25 PM »
I stopped using tab years ago when I discovered that most websites end up with your tab stuck inside an ad or something.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #1233 on: January 12, 2016, 09:51:50 PM »
I've locked this topic as suggestions really should go to the 7.0 thread.

The following users thanked this post: MarcAFK