Author Topic: Contact situations  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Caplin (OP)

Contact situations
« on: September 11, 2010, 11:49:00 PM »
Hi All,
Well, I made contact with my first NPR today.  They appear to be benign and have granted me trade access.  This situation has raised a number of accessibility questions for me.
One Issue I had trouble with was figuring out which ship had gotten a sensor reading on the contact in question.  For some reason, passive thermal contacts don't seem to be showing coordinates as they should, so I still don't really have a way to tell where they are, relatively speaking.  I'm not sure if this was an oversight or if the nature of passives is such that positioning information is difficult to obtain.
Is there anybody who might be able to shed some light on this situation?  My guess is that nobody who isn't blind would be using the new coordinate system display on the map.  Nevertheless I am somewhat confused and would appreciate some input.
Best and thanks,
Zack.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Contact situations
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 03:34:11 PM »
Hi All,
Well, I made contact with my first NPR today.  They appear to be benign and have granted me trade access.  This situation has raised a number of accessibility questions for me.
One Issue I had trouble with was figuring out which ship had gotten a sensor reading on the contact in question.  For some reason, passive thermal contacts don't seem to be showing coordinates as they should, so I still don't really have a way to tell where they are, relatively speaking.  I'm not sure if this was an oversight or if the nature of passives is such that positioning information is difficult to obtain.
Is there anybody who might be able to shed some light on this situation?  My guess is that nobody who isn't blind would be using the new coordinate system display on the map.  Nevertheless I am somewhat confused and would appreciate some input.
Best and thanks,
Zack.

I think it's just an oversight on Steve's part.  As of the change to allow ID of passive contacts, I can't think of any difference between passives and actives, other that the requirment that you must have an active contact for fire control purposes.

John

Offline Caplin (OP)

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 04:08:06 PM »
Hi,
I suspect the problem is actually one of coordinates being cut off, for lack of a better word for it.
A sighted friend informs me that with many map display options selected, much text overlaps on top of other text.  The behavior I'm seeing is that often I'll be able to read a partial coordinate, but the end is missing and unreadable.
I've discovered that by toggling off certain map options the problem can be overcome, though not perfectly.  It still plagues me and is quite frustrating.
I would attach a screenshot if I could, but I'm running into the attachment size limit on this forum.
I'm not sure how else to explain the odd situation I find myself in.  For now I can read contact labels with an effort at least.
Is this just a case of map clutter?  Does this behavior fit with what you guys observe, visually, when the coordinate system is switched on?  Is my screen reader misreading and ignoring numbers which are actually there?
Best and thanks,
Zackk.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 05:02:16 PM »
I'll increase the attachment size.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 05:06:46 PM »
I'll increase the attachment size.
Max size per post is 1 meg, max size per attachment is approximately 500k.

Offline Caplin (OP)

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 05:39:02 PM »
Hi Eric,
Thanks for this.  With that limit increased, I present my first ever screenshot.

Offline Caplin (OP)

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 05:41:36 PM »
Hi All,
In case I wasn't clear enough in my previous posts I'mblind, and thus have to use this coordinate system for orientation purposes.  I was wondering if anybody might be able to look at this and confirm the issues I've been seeingwith coordinates being cut off and other textual oddities?  I'm trying to isolate whether the game is at fault here or if my screen reader is could give on tsomehow missing text which is in fact visible.
Any feedback you could give would be appreciated.  As I said, I can mitigate some of the clutter with map toggles, but haven't yet been able to completely eliminate it.
Best and thanks,
Zack.

Offline mavikfelna

• Lieutenant
    • http://www.geocities.com/mavikfelna
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 03:53:54 PM »
You definitely have a cluttered screen. Looks like lots of neutral contacts showing up among other things.

In the various tabs on the left hand side of the window there are a lot of options. On the main display tab, there's a section titled Names that you could probably turn off for Stars and Moons, and Planets if you're not actively looking for one in particular. Under the Options section on that tab turn off Show Waypoint Locations and Show Next Order.

On the Contacts tab, there is a Contact Filter drop down. You might set it to Hostile Only.

Hopefully those will help.

--Mav