Author Topic: Task Force training  (Read 4193 times)

Offline Arwyn (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Task Force training
« on: November 29, 2010, 09:08:46 PM »
So, in the ever expanding quest to find a way to do things more organized and efficiently, I have been tinkering with how I build and train my fleets. Currently, I build to a Shipyard TG, once that has gotten enough ships into it, I transfer to either an entire battle group and train them as a whole, if it is just piecemeal, I dump them to a training squadron that pretty much does nothing else.

Finding decent commanders with high enough training scores seems to be the key, but I am not sure by how much. Any thoughts? How much trickle down does training at the higher levels of command work down to the individual ships?

The down side is it is still taking several months to get them up to any working level of skill, which can be massively handicapping when your trying to build and rush replacements to the front. Is there anything I am missing? Cadre crews or anything similar?

One handy trick I have come up with on fighter training was to build a rather large station with massive hanger space, spares, and fuel, but only 1 engine. It doesn't go anywhere fast, but it DOES count as an active mobile task force for training purposes. It has worked incredibly well so far, since I can train large groups of fighters without an associated carrier, and since its so close to Earth, I can easily ferry fighters back and forth to the training base without stopping. It also makes for a rather handy support base in case someone unpleasant comes through a warp point.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
Re: Task Force training
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 12:04:58 AM »
I think that it is meant to take months to train a ship up to 100% That has been my experience at any rate.

As far as I know, you do not need to actively train fighters - just assign them to a carrier and they will 'train on simulators' whilst docked.

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 04:41:47 PM »
I think that it is meant to take months to train a ship up to 100% That has been my experience at any rate.

As far as I know, you do not need to actively train fighters - just assign them to a carrier and they will 'train on simulators' whilst docked.

The carrier DOES have to be in a fleet that is undergoing training though. I often have a number of carriers in a training sqdn that are at 100%, because they are training up their fighter complement due to combat losses or upgraded fighter classes.  I also have fighter bases around major planets that do nothing BUT train.  It does present a minor problem in that the bases fall out of orbit of their planet as soon as you start this as the autoorders generated by the training routine probably shouldnt apply to these types of unit.  I solve it simply by using the SM option to relocate the fleet whenever I need to do something to it. This also brings up a minor exploit - put a speed 1 unit into a training fleet then the whole fleet continues to train but doesnt expend fuel.
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline Arwyn (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 12:36:33 AM »
Thanks! Looks like I am on the right track then.

I wish there was a way to recover/reuse trained crew from a destroyed ship, like using them as cadre. That seems to be the single biggest issue in getting an offensive rolling after getting a fleet shot up badly.

Offline Eagle_eye

• Leading Rate
  • E
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 03:29:25 PM »
so when people are rescued from lifepods only commanders retain their skills?  ???

Offline Anarade Relle

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • A
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 12:29:25 AM »
The logic behind that I believe is that the crew is broken up.  They go back into the personal pool.  A couple dozen highly trained guys won't do much to improve the net crew training value of a ship with over a thousand men on it for example.  Basically the well oiled team of the previous ship is gone and needs to be rebuilt.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 11:57:08 AM »
The crew rescued from the lifepods do keep their grade points, its just that if you rescue 200 people and have 15000 in your pool, the effect of the 200 is pretty small, unless they are significantly better than your average.  They all get averaged in.  Here is some math for you
200 with 200 points each = 40000 points,  15,000 with 100 is 15,000,000 so the total is 15040000/150200 = 101.31 points per person.  In other words no real effect.  Now if the 200 had 1000 points each then the total goes to 111.85 wich will give you a net 1% increase in actual crew grade.  The percent bonus is on a scale that goes up on a geometric scale.

Hope this helps you out.
Brian

Offline Peter Rhodan

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 09:44:59 PM »
I can't get anybody to train at the moment - they were earlier - but after refuelling/overhauling when I set them to train again nothing happens except they fly around using up lots of fuel - I seem to have all the staff slots filled at HQ - is there something really obvious I'm missing?

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 09:49:36 PM »
Is the TG undergoing training within their assigned task force's jurisdiction?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 12:06:45 AM »
And does the TF have a non-zero training rating?  It's a good idea to put high-crew-training commanders in charge of TFs - if training is zero, then they fly around sucking up fuel without anything happening.  Sound familiar? :)

John

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 12:52:06 AM »
Also, half of the fleet's Operations officer's crew training applies.