Author Topic: Mineral packet/mass driver bug  (Read 2176 times)

Offline Person012345 (OP)

• Captain
Mineral packet/mass driver bug
« on: March 12, 2012, 12:09:39 PM »
Yes, this is more of a bug, although I'm not posting it in the bugs thread because I'm still on v5.50, and I mainly want to know if there is some way of fixing the situation as it is. If this is the wrong forum, please move it.

Basically, for one of my factions, the mineral packets that have been sent from some civilian mining colonies only extend half-way to their target, and instead of send more out, they're now just piling up on the colonies in question. They show as contacts on the system map, and there's a huge pile of them over the sending planets, and enough to extend half-way to the main planet but they just stop there.

Suggestions? I don't really know whether they're actually delivering their minerals, but I suspect not and have stopped them sending now.

• Captain
Re: Mineral packet/mass driver bug
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 02:12:31 PM »
Another question: Although I'm pretty certain I turned off all spoiler races, generated 0 NPC's when I started the game and set it not to generate new races as NPC's and I -think- turned NPC's off in every way it was possible to do, assuming this would mean I was in total control of all races, I keep bumping into wrecks that I have no explanation for. Are these just random wrecks, or does this mean I have an unexpected NPC or few wandering around?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 02:14:30 PM by Person012345 »

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 03:30:44 PM »
I think you still get random precursor wrecks even with precursors off.

Offline Marthnn

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 07:01:24 PM »
Basically, for one of my factions, the mineral packets that have been sent from some civilian mining colonies only extend half-way to their target, and instead of send more out, they're now just piling up on the colonies in question. They show as contacts on the system map, and there's a huge pile of them over the sending planets, and enough to extend half-way to the main planet but they just stop there.
What do you mean, they just stop there?

On the system map, a mineral packet contact should give info on its speed. At what speed are they traveling? As far as I know, civilian mining colonies (CMC) always sent their packets at 1000 km/s.

More importantly, what's the distance between the colony and the packet destination? Over 25b km? When the packet travel time is over, say, one year, you might want to use freighters instead of mass drivers. That or not buy the minerals, taking tax money instead. You can also abandon the colony and reestablish it, deleting the CMC completely.

The same problem arises with comets, when they travel very far outsystem, if you keep sending 1000 km/s mineral packets you can clog your game up with moving contacts. Mineral packets in transit are my personal #1 reason behind my games slowing down, so I'm extra careful about that now.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 07:29:43 PM »
I'm at a stage in the game where I set up looping freighter orders.  Turn the freighter speed down to like 2000 km/s if in system to prevent hitting the same site way too many times.  Just add more freighters as mining output increases.

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 08:04:59 PM »
What do you mean, they just stop there?

On the system map, a mineral packet contact should give info on its speed. At what speed are they traveling? As far as I know, civilian mining colonies (CMC) always sent their packets at 1000 km/s.

More importantly, what's the distance between the colony and the packet destination? Over 25b km? When the packet travel time is over, say, one year, you might want to use freighters instead of mass drivers. That or not buy the minerals, taking tax money instead. You can also abandon the colony and reestablish it, deleting the CMC completely.

The same problem arises with comets, when they travel very far outsystem, if you keep sending 1000 km/s mineral packets you can clog your game up with moving contacts. Mineral packets in transit are my personal #1 reason behind my games slowing down, so I'm extra careful about that now.
They -say- 1000 km/s, but they're not actually moving. There is no movement tail, and they're all just stopped where they are.

There are a number at long distance. If this bug is somehow caused by simply having too many contacts, that's probably what it is. Is there a way to get rid of existing mineral packets at all?

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 08:21:28 PM »
Not an easy way, that I'm aware of, sadly.

One would have to edit the database and remove them.

Offline Marthnn

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 06:35:44 AM »
They -say- 1000 km/s, but they're not actually moving. There is no movement tail, and they're all just stopped where they are.
No movement tail, even after zooming in enough to see only 1 packet? Movement tail depends on the increment you use, and there should be a 5-days travel distance between 2 packets (approximately). Plus, they only show when the contact itself is in the view screen. I'd zoom enough to fit 5 packets at most in the screen, then go through a 1- or 5-day increment, to see clearly they don't move at all. Confirm increment time with the event screen, other events can shorten it. You must have done something similar already.

So I'm guessing the distance between source and destination is somewhat small (less than 20b km), and the destination colony still exists with a mass driver in place.

Then it looks a lot like a bug to me. Has anyone heard before of too many contacts stopping packet movements?

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 06:38:15 AM »
Yes, that is the case. But the distance is far. Over 20b km.

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 06:24:52 PM »
haha, saying that they are now moving. I'm certain they weren't before, as evidenced by the fact that they're all moving as a single huge blob, but they do appear to be on their way now so it may resolve itself.

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 10:25:07 PM »
Id like to see insystem acceleration gates added that can be used for rapid movement of ships in large systems by the owner of course

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 11:03:41 PM »
Id like to see insystem acceleration gates added that can be used for rapid movement of ships in large systems by the owner of course

You can suggest that in the suggestions thread. Probably be better off there.