Author Topic: The Northern Coalition (AAR)  (Read 27968 times)

Offline Garfunkel

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Re: The Northern Coalition (AAR)
« Reply #360 on: July 19, 2016, 09:05:43 AM »
Increasing salvo size, even at the expense of number of salvos, might be useful as well. Well fought in any case!

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 01, 2016, 05:31:35 AM »
Finally caught up with this, very satisfying to see the tides turn against the wolvers.
Long time since the last update however!
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 28, 2016, 03:22:53 AM »
Sorry about that I have suffered from an unexpected minor operation that had the effect to make sitting for long periods of time one of two things I could not do.  It has finally decided to heal and so for the last couple of weeks I have been advancing the clock.  Will get back to the AAR shortly.

As for the tide turning...that is perhaps a bit too optamistic a view, certainly the NCN is no longer blind and their defensive systems are getting much closer to being able to deal with Wolver threats but...there is a substantial gap in capabilities.  Even the Starslayer's can't bring an undamaged Wolver ship into combat when it doesn't want to...and the Super Salvo ...  that is still a nightmare.  But they can fight back much much more effectively.   

I don't think I can cram any more launchers into the ships at the moment, they all have some extra space but that is tentatively reserved for ECCM and ECM.  The Heavy Cruiser will not have more launchers but will carry bigger missiles.  But yes salvo size is considered a critical factor.   It is also worth mentioning that the Arrow ASM (Batch 3) has improved performance over the Arrow ASM (Batch 2) which will make a major difference in future battles.  If more missiles hit then the number of salvos to kill or mission kill a Wolver ship would substantially reduce.  The Starslayers would also make a huge difference assuming they can get into range.   6 of them would do tremendous damage every 5 seconds.  The trouble is the Akagi's would be able to kill them as they closed.  Plus they can use the Arrow L ASM which has enhanced range but smaller warhead.  I'm not sure if they can engage a Mikuma though...but with ECCM added in it may be close.., but the trouble there may be the Mikuma will turn away and outrun the missiles in flight.   The tactical options open to the NCN are certainly increasing though.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 09:31:50 AM by Paul M »

TLPineapple

« Reply #363 on: October 06, 2016, 07:19:09 AM »
Finnaly caught up, and let me say, aftee 3 full days of reading i find myself really happy that updates are still happening almost 4 years later.

I can tell you though, i almost jumped with joy when that first Wolver was taken out, but true hopelessness set in when the magics returned and destroyed your whole fleet.  I cant imagine how you felt.

Im glad to see the humans kick some but, hopefull we can one day see wolf 359 claimed.

Offline Garfunkel

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 06, 2016, 04:21:45 PM »
Yeah, I certainly admire your perseverance Paul. Keep it up!

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 07, 2016, 04:20:17 AM »
Finnaly caught up, and let me say, aftee 3 full days of reading i find myself really happy that updates are still happening almost 4 years later.

I can tell you though, i almost jumped with joy when that first Wolver was taken out, but true hopelessness set in when the magics returned and destroyed your whole fleet.  I cant imagine how you felt.

Im glad to see the humans kick some but, hopefull we can one day see wolf 359 claimed.

They will continue as soon as I get myself some free time for writing, at the moment I am caught up in our Starfire turn.  Game time is 18 months advanced but I'm going to have a look if I need to break it up so much as there was a fairly long breather in there.  Game time wise it will likely take another 2+ years for the next combat op simply because it takes 1 year to build a ship and then it has to be trained and there is a serious issue with Gallicite.  I would like to have a force of 3 CLEs in the next battle plus one squadron of Starslayers.

As for the loss of the 4th Squadron that was...hard.  The only thing positive about it was how hard it was to kill those DDs.  The Tribals are tough.  But I kept hoping the missiles would run out.  The hard part now is keeping a realistic goal for each operation.  Operation (Katmandu) will be more difficult as it will involve engaging more Wolver ships...  The name is still not locked down it has to start with K though.

The game plays slowly so the time it takes to do a serious campaign I think is extensive.  The NCN isn't that much more advanced now than a new TN start race in many ways.   

Anyway thanks for the encouraging remarks, that also helps keep me motivated.

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 11, 2016, 09:18:07 PM »
Another large gap in my readership, but it's definitely heartening to see you still at it Paul. And with a victory, no less! Even if the work put into such campaigns is long and extensive, and even if they're close and hard-fought like that, it's still a wonderful payoff. As always, a wonderful read.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 12, 2016, 08:51:08 AM »
An equally large gap in my replying...sorry all but work got super stressful and that killed my "AAR" righting ability.   The good news is I am holidays and can now indulge again in writing without it being just "yet more" and this year my lap top was not just days before I left swapped over to Win10.  I discovered away from home small things like various passwords had not been carried over...so I could not log into the aurora site or my email.  This year (obviously) that problem no longer exists.

It is game time wise December 2116 so I have stuff going on.  Actually, stuff has been happening.  Most of it is not "world shattering" but logistics and other such mundane things make empires go round.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 07, 2017, 08:36:07 AM »
Just got caught up on reading this.  A possible counter to the magic missiles is offering them non-manned targets.  Fuel efficient drones with loud active sensors, possibly armored.  Instead of trying to hit Magic missiles with your missiles, get the Wolver to target your missiles with their Magics.  If they go after pinnaces, will they also go against sensor drones?

I enjoyed reading about the economic game.  I think that if you aren't experiencing any resource crunch then you are not pushing expansion fast enough.  Although as some of the worlds with >million ton high availability resources really come on line, the crunch may come in terms of shipyards or crew training.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52