Author Topic: Space 1899 - Part I  (Read 8534 times)

Offline MWadwell

• Commander
Re: Space 1899 - Part I
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 03:12:25 PM »
I dont know. The Venusian can muster far more ships which gives them a exploring advantage ad they could do pirating which stalls the other empires. They could also get lucky and have a heavy star behind theyr Jump-point.

Mmmm.

A couple of points:
1) the venusians had the smallest starting fleet (only 6 Ktons, compared to the humans 144 Ktons of warships).
2) the venusians have the smallest starting shipyards. By mid report, the venusians had built an additional 14 Kublai, so by the end of the report, they would have had ~34 Kublai (or 34 Ktons of warships). Over this time period, the humans had built an additional 84 Ktons of warships (to a total of ~230 Kton).
3) the venusians have the lowest tech.

So while the venusians may have the largest fleet in numbers, they are being out-built, out-massed, and out-teched.

Sorry to say, but the only way they can come close, is by relying on luck.....
Later,
Matt

Offline sublight

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 01:24:47 PM »
The situation isn't quite that bad for Venus. The venusians do have a +30% planetary industrial advantage and will be the prime recipients of Osmotic Tech Transfer, if applicable. If the industrial advantage can be maintained and infrastructure-damaging wars and mineral crunches avoided then they will, slowly, start to make up the shipyard and research lab differences.

Further, neither Tianxia nor the British can allow the other to conquer Venus least the industry transfer make one decisively stronger than the other. If one did try, then the other would find the moral and strategic opportunity to attack while the opposing fleet was low on ammunition and away from home.

The odds are poor, some luck will be required, and the venusians may act as pawns in the early years: but if the venusians can avoid getting pushed aside from suitable off-planet expansion then they may, in 50 years or more, become a galactic power.

I can't wait to see what actually happens. I'll be cheering for Venus.

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 01:38:30 PM »
I too have a soft spot for Venus, that industrial advantage will even things up fairly fast if it can be maintained.

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 05:50:40 PM »
Maybe they are lucky and find some ruins/wrecks. You can pull some nice stuff out of them.

Steve: When can we expect the next chapter?
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline MWadwell

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 09:39:33 AM »
The situation isn't quite that bad for Venus. The venusians do have a +30% planetary industrial advantage and will be the prime recipients of Osmotic Tech Transfer, if applicable. If the industrial advantage can be maintained and infrastructure-damaging wars and mineral crunches avoided then they will, slowly, start to make up the shipyard and research lab differences.

Further, neither Tianxia nor the British can allow the other to conquer Venus least the industry transfer make one decisively stronger than the other. If one did try, then the other would find the moral and strategic opportunity to attack while the opposing fleet was low on ammunition and away from home.

The odds are poor, some luck will be required, and the venusians may act as pawns in the early years: but if the venusians can avoid getting pushed aside from suitable off-planet expansion then they may, in 50 years or more, become a galactic power.

I can't wait to see what actually happens. I'll be cheering for Venus.

The added industry will mean that when the crunch hits, it will hit earlier and harder then for the other two races.

And as they will be getting off-planet last, the venusians will have to settle for the mineral-poor planets that are left over.

However, I agree - if they can survive the crunch in reasonable form, they may prove to be a long-term threat.
Later,
Matt

Offline MWadwell

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 01:48:06 AM »
I too have a soft spot for Venus, that industrial advantage will even things up fairly fast if it can be maintained.

I've cheated, and (using Ver 6.2 db) had a look at the races in late 1902 - as I was curious about the "advantages" each race had. And I've found out that the advantages aren't quite what you'd think......

For example, Venus has nearly twice the R&D installations that Mars has - and yet is only just generating slightly more RP's/year then Mars, due to Mar's high tech.

And there are similar things with the other fields (such as construction, mining, shipyards, etc.).....

Later,
Matt