Community Games > 7 Dictators

7 Dictators Community Game

(1/42) > >>

Maharava:
First off, if there's a better place to put this thread, please move it :)

The 7 Dictators

This is a community game I'm wanting to start. Earth rules a half dozen Sectors, each containing several systems and at least one Human-colonised planet. Each Sector is defended by an Admiral (a player) and ruled by a Governor (at the moment, an NPC). Each Admiral has the ability to requisition ships, naval shipyards and create new designs as they see fit, but may not dictate expansion, commercial industries or research. An Admiral may subdivide their Fleet into Taskgroups and hand a Taskgroup over to a Sub-Admiral (NPC or Player). A seventh player, the president (title can be changed) is charged with running the Empire and keeping everyone in line
The idea behind this game is that Earth is powerful, our technology great and there is nothing to stand in our way. And what do humans do when we're bored? Wreck the place. Admirals may pretty much do as they please but, as this is meant to be a heavy-RP game, try to keep your actions in character (for example, it's highly doubtful a new Admiral would turn around and try to attack Earth on his first day). Admirals are all considered equals and will rule the Earth Defenses as a council should the Invaders ever return: having said that, the Admiral of Earth Sector has a certain amount of prestige attached to it.

As the game gets under way, I'll allow player-controlled civilians so alliances could be formed between planets and Admirals but I'd rather get the game up and running first. Admirals can give orders for six-month increments as well as a 'standing order' - a set of orders for what should happen if the Admiral can't be reached. Admirals are tasked with defense, putting down rebellions, exploring, defending shipping lanes etc. If a big event happens (like an NPR attacks) I'll immediately ask what the Admirals wish to do (via this thread).
Combat will be resolved according to a set of orders the Admirals involved give at the start of the battle. I'm not double-checking orders for every 5 second interval, for obvious reasons.
Once every 2 years in-game, the Admirals will 'convene a meeting' to discuss the state of the Sectors. Sectors can be expanded, reduced or the Admiral replaced entirely as a result of this meeting.

Some ideas about this game
Admirals are strongly encouraged to form alliances with or against each other. The more habitable planets an Admiral has in his/her Sector, the more powerful the Admiral.
Ships and Taskgroups can, naturally, be transferred between Admirals (perhaps as a bribe...?) Admirals can promote or de-promote any Officer in their sector, whether player or NPC.
Though Admirals can't directly influence planetary governments, having high-mineral or high-population systems in your sector will greatly boost your fleet capability.
You may explore and claim new systems so long as the new system fits within your sector. I'll update the exact radius of the sector commands when I create the game itself.
This game has been concoted with RP'ers in mind. it's meant to be played out over many in-game years, perhaps culminating in a massive civil war.

So I'd like to know if anyone would be interested and any thoughts you have ('That rule makes no sense, Maharava! YOU CRAZY >:[]') I'm considering halving the number of Admirals, but that'll depend on how many people want to try this.

Thoughts?

Conscript Gary:
So players will only be handling the military and politick aspects of the game? Leaving you to manage all of the industrial management and research that would bog down and make a 12-faction game impossible logistically, yes?
That would certainly move the idea into the realm of the plausible, though it might be too far to the 'players don't have enough to do' end of things. It would take relatively frequent SM updates to maintain momentum in this case, I think.

Maharava:

--- Quote from: Conscript Gary on March 20, 2013, 11:05:08 PM ---So players will only be handling the military and politick aspects of the game? Leaving you to manage all of the industrial management and research that would bog down and make a 12-faction game impossible logistically, yes?
That would certainly move the idea into the realm of the plausible, though it might be too far to the 'players don't have enough to do' end of things. It would take relatively frequent SM updates to maintain momentum in this case, I think.

--- End quote ---

That's pretty much what I was going for. If players controlled every detail the game would go nowhere.
As for running out of things to do, I'd rather (personally) have that as a possibility as opposed to 'Took us three months to has out the next game day, who's up for working out Tuesday?'. However, i figure players will find things to do by backstabbing each other. Or I'll turn Invaders on. one of the two XD

Panopticon:
I'd be down, sounds like something I could actually manage to find attention for.

Gidoran:
I'd be interested in this, it seems pretty interesting. Will each admiral be allowed to make his own naval doctrine? I could see some fun negotiations between friendly sectors regarding standardization to permit the transfer of parts and sharing ammunition.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

It appears that you have not registered with Aurora 4x. To register, please click here...
There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version