Author Topic: 2.0 Bugs  (Read 15008 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2007, 08:41:29 AM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
Probably a rounding/display error.

Created and built a new series of size 4 missiles for my light launchers and medium bombers. Industrial Production shows 2000 (1980 post fighter load). Fighter window shows 1999 (1979 post fighter load).

Yes, IP is using round down and the fighter window is using round to nearest integer, which is slightly concerning because it may indicate a rounding error in production (the 1979.99999 type). I will change them both to round down.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Precotious Precursors
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 08:42:50 AM »
Quote from: "Centerfed"
"Shhhh...be vewy, vewy quwiet.  We're hwunting Precursors!  Heheheheheheh!"  --E. Fudd, Precursor (and Wabbit) Hunter

:)

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2007, 08:49:56 AM »
Quote from: "Kurt"
Not really a bug, more of an omission:

Armor doesn't show up on the technology report for missile designs.  

Added armour column for v2.1

Steve

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2007, 11:08:12 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
See image. This is still occuring. Always and only the top ranked officer.
Is he a sector commander by any chance? If so, bug found and fixed.

Steve

He is.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2007, 11:17:50 AM »
See image. This is still occuring. Always and only the top ranked officer.
Is he a sector commander by any chance? If so, bug found and fixed.
He is.

Good. It was the fact he was a sector commander that was the problem. It was just a coincidence that he was the top ranked officer. When a commander is given an additional bonus it is based upon his current role. Nothing was setup for sector commanders, which he why he ended up with a blank. They will now get the same type of updates as a colony commander.

Steve

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2007, 04:38:04 PM »
Probably a rounding/display error.

Created and built a new series of size 4 missiles for my light launchers and medium bombers. Industrial Production shows 2000 (1980 post fighter load). Fighter window shows 1999 (1979 post fighter load).
Yes, IP is using round down and the fighter window is using round to nearest integer, which is slightly concerning because it may indicate a rounding error in production (the 1979.99999 type). I will change them both to round down.

Steve

Errrr are you sure you didn't get those reversed?  If IP is rounding down and FW is using nearest int, I would expect FW to always be greater than or equal to.

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by sloanjh »

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2007, 05:04:34 PM »
Steve -

I've got a rather annoying problem going on in the Jupiter campaign database.  It is as follows:

1.  At the current time I have only two fleets with movement orders, one is the Republic warp survey fleet, moving around in the outer system surveying grav sites, and the other is a freighter in the Saturn moon system.  This freighter has orders to move from Rhea to Mimas, pick up resources, move to Iapetus and pick up more resources, and move back to Rhea and unload everything.  No refueling or maintenance checks.  I gave these orders then gave the order to repeat 19 times, then gave the order to repeat on a loop.  I did this so that no matter what time advance I used I'd still get the maximum number of trips out of my freighter.  

2.  On or about August of the first year of game time I hit a problem.  I started receiving multiple errors when I advanced the time.  The error was as follows:
Error in MoveFleets
Error 3001
Invalid Argument
This repeated dozens of times.  Dozens and dozens.  Enough that when I hit enter to get through it I inadvertently hit the time advance again, starting it all over again.

3.  When I finally cleared the error messages I checked the log.  There were no alarming messages in the game log, so I checked my fleets.  The survey fleet seemed to be fine, so I checked my freighter.  It too seemed to be fine.  It had fuel and spares, and nothing seemed wrong.  After some thought I cleared all of the moves and the loop and ordered the freighter to move to its home base (Rhea).

4.  When I hit time advance I received one error as above, and a second error, as follows:
Error in UpdateGameLog
Error 3001
Invalid Argument
After this error I noticed that the game log was not being updated.

5.  After the freighter made it back to its base I didn't receive any more move errors but the log didn't update any further and I continued to receive the log error messages.  

Aaaaauuugh!

Kurt
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Kurt »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2007, 05:17:49 PM »
Steve -

I've got a rather annoying problem going on in the Jupiter campaign database.  It is as follows:

1.  At the current time I have only two fleets with movement orders, one is the Republic warp survey fleet, moving around in the outer system surveying grav sites, and the other is a freighter in the Saturn moon system.  This freighter has orders to move from Rhea to Mimas, pick up resources, move to Iapetus and pick up more resources, and move back to Rhea and unload everything.  No refueling or maintenance checks.  I gave these orders then gave the order to repeat 19 times, then gave the order to repeat on a loop.  I did this so that no matter what time advance I used I'd still get the maximum number of trips out of my freighter.  

2.  On or about August of the first year of game time I hit a problem.  I started receiving multiple errors when I advanced the time.  The error was as follows:
Error in MoveFleets
Error 3001
Invalid Argument
This repeated dozens of times.  Dozens and dozens.  Enough that when I hit enter to get through it I inadvertently hit the time advance again, starting it all over again.

3.  When I finally cleared the error messages I checked the log.  There were no alarming messages in the game log, so I checked my fleets.  The survey fleet seemed to be fine, so I checked my freighter.  It too seemed to be fine.  It had fuel and spares, and nothing seemed wrong.  After some thought I cleared all of the moves and the loop and ordered the freighter to move to its home base (Rhea).

4.  When I hit time advance I received one error as above, and a second error, as follows:
Error in UpdateGameLog
Error 3001
Invalid Argument
After this error I noticed that the game log was not being updated.

5.  After the freighter made it back to its base I didn't receive any more move errors but the log didn't update any further and I continued to receive the log error messages.  Aaaauuugh!

No idea what is happening here as I haven't see the error before. Best thing is to send me your database so I can step through the code and fix the problem.

Steve

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2007, 01:06:59 AM »
No idea what is happening here as I haven't see the error before. Best thing is to send me your database so I can step through the code and fix the problem.

Steve

I figured it out, kind of.  I went to the Aurora folder in windows explorer to see how big the Stevefire.mdb file was, to figure out how to send it to you.  As soon as I saw it I knew what was going on, it was right at the magic 2 GB size for database meltdown.  

I compacted the database and ran a time advance and it worked fine, no more errors and the log updates.  That still leaves open the question of how the database got so bloated.  It went from the size you shipped it out at, around 3 MB IIRC, to 2 GB in less than six months game time.  And it was a particularly uneventful six months, with very little happening, because only one side had any ships.  

The only thing unusual about this game is that there are nine seperate populations/colonies, which is a level that it usually takes me a long time to reach in my other campaigns.  Still, I wouldn't think that would be enough to cause the extreme bloat I saw here.  

I'll keep an eye on the database size from now on.  It would be interesting to know if it creeps up, or if it shoots up all at once.  

Kurt

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2007, 06:17:42 AM »
I figured it out, kind of.  I went to the Aurora folder in windows explorer to see how big the Stevefire.mdb file was, to figure out how to send it to you.  As soon as I saw it I knew what was going on, it was right at the magic 2 GB size for database meltdown.  

I compacted the database and ran a time advance and it worked fine, no more errors and the log updates.  That still leaves open the question of how the database got so bloated.  It went from the size you shipped it out at, around 3 MB IIRC, to 2 GB in less than six months game time.  And it was a particularly uneventful six months, with very little happening, because only one side had any ships.  

The only thing unusual about this game is that there are nine seperate populations/colonies, which is a level that it usually takes me a long time to reach in my other campaigns.  Still, I wouldn't think that would be enough to cause the extreme bloat I saw here.  

I'll keep an eye on the database size from now on.  It would be interesting to know if it creeps up, or if it shoots up all at once.  

I don't think it is the size of your campaign. My campaign has been running five game years and currently has five races with thirty-one colonies. The database is 18 Mb.

The database should be set to compact on close but I am now wondering if that has to be set locally. Could you open the database in Access, go to Tools -> Options and look at the General tab. Is the Compact on Close option selected?

Steve

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2007, 11:31:25 AM »
If you have maintenance off, when you have ships that run under 10% fuel, you get a series of errors.

Error in CheckFuel
Error 3265 was generated by DAO.Fields
Item not found in this collection.

You get 1 error for each ship.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2007, 11:37:14 AM »
If you have maintenance off, when you have ships that run under 10% fuel, you get a series of errors.

Error in CheckFuel
Error 3265 was generated by DAO.Fields
Item not found in this collection.

You get 1 error for each ship.

I have had this in my campaign too. Already fixed for v2.1 :)

Steve

Offline jmelzer

• Leading Rate
  • j
Aurora 2.0 Bugs - officers
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2007, 12:56:57 PM »
(1) On race creation, changing the homeworld name can only be done after initial race reation. (a default name from the theme is assigned to the home system). This is done after officer creation. So the name of the accademy graduated from, on the F4 screen will not match the system name, but will be an accademy that doesn't exist.
(e.g. I named my home system "Manticore", but the default name assigned on initial race creation was "auldhouse". So the Education box in that window shows "Auldhouse A-V Accademy"

(2) Is loading a commander supposed to work on the fleet orders (F12) window? I click on the capital planet (where all my officers are), then click "load officer", but no officers appear in the "select commander" window.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by jmelzer »

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Aurora 2.0 Bugs - officers
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2007, 02:36:45 PM »
Quote from: "jmelzer"
(1) On race creation, changing the homeworld name can only be done after initial race reation. (a default name from the theme is assigned to the home system). This is done after officer creation. So the name of the accademy graduated from, on the F4 screen will not match the system name, but will be an accademy that doesn't exist.
(e.g. I named my home system "Manticore", but the default name assigned on initial race creation was "auldhouse". So the Education box in that window shows "Auldhouse A-V Accademy"

(2) Is loading a commander supposed to work on the fleet orders (F12) window? I click on the capital planet (where all my officers are), then click "load officer", but no officers appear in the "select commander" window.

I have noticed #1 myself.

As for #2, you have to make the officer in question available for pickup before he shows up on the "load officer" list.  IIRC, there is a check box somewhere on the personnel page that you can check to make the officer available for pickup.  This was done so that you don't have to look through all of your officers to determine which one you want to pickup.

Kurt

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
Re: Aurora 2.0 Bugs - officers
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2007, 02:50:30 PM »
Quote from: "jmelzer"

On the commander screen (F4), you need to click the checkbox up around the name info at the top. Then you can pick them up and move them around