Author Topic: Closed Warp Points and Mine Fields  (Read 4240 times)

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
Closed Warp Points and Mine Fields
« on: October 11, 2013, 01:55:29 AM »
As there is an assault on one of these coming up I wanted to ask on what the view was...

Starslayer and I talked about this.  If you assume "detecting mine explosions" is the same as "detecting a minefield" then the sequence is:

Turn 1, impulse 1 ship shows up on the warp point and is attacked by all the mines (only 10% of the mines hit).
Turn 1, impulse 2-6 the ship either declares no further movment or else it is attacked.  If it is attacked it is a non-minesweeper and transited ship.

Turn 2, impulse 1 the ship is attacked by the mines automatically.  It is no longer under transit effects and its Xr is now available and so counts as a minesweeper.

OR

Turn 1, impulse 1 ship shows up on the warp point and is attacked by all the mines (only 10% of the mines hit)
Turn 1, impulse 2-6 the ship either declares no further movement or else is attacked.  If it is attacked it is a non-minesweeper and transited ship.

Turn 2, impulse 1 the ship is attacked by the mines automatically.  It is no longer under trnasit effects and its Xr is now available and at the end of this impulse it detects the mines.
Turn 2, impulse 2-6 the ship either declares no further movement of else it is attacked.  It is attacked as a non-minesweeper.

Turn 3, implulse 1 the ship is attacked by the mines automatically.  It is now considered a minesweeper.

We think the first is correct but what do other people think?

Offline MWadwell

• Commander
Re: Closed Warp Points and Mine Fields
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 03:53:20 AM »
As there is an assault on one of these coming up I wanted to ask on what the view was...

Starslayer and I talked about this.  If you assume "detecting mine explosions" is the same as "detecting a minefield" then the sequence is:

Turn 1, impulse 1 ship shows up on the warp point and is attacked by all the mines (only 10% of the mines hit).
Turn 1, impulse 2-6 the ship either declares no further movment or else it is attacked.  If it is attacked it is a non-minesweeper and transited ship.

Turn 2, impulse 1 the ship is attacked by the mines automatically.  It is no longer under transit effects and its Xr is now available and so counts as a minesweeper.

OR

Turn 1, impulse 1 ship shows up on the warp point and is attacked by all the mines (only 10% of the mines hit)
Turn 1, impulse 2-6 the ship either declares no further movement or else is attacked.  If it is attacked it is a non-minesweeper and transited ship.

Turn 2, impulse 1 the ship is attacked by the mines automatically.  It is no longer under trnasit effects and its Xr is now available and at the end of this impulse it detects the mines.
Turn 2, impulse 2-6 the ship either declares no further movement of else it is attacked.  It is attacked as a non-minesweeper.

Turn 3, implulse 1 the ship is attacked by the mines automatically.  It is now considered a minesweeper.

We think the first is correct but what do other people think?

I agree - I believe that the first is correct.

Section 27.08.05.7 states that "Detection is automatic at 20 tactical hexes with any type of sensors if the unit sees the MF fire". The targetted ship is definitely within 20 hexes  ;D, and so at the end of the first turn (As per Step III.G (from page 8 )) the minefield is detected.

At the start of the second turn, Xr and is active, and the MF is now "detected" - and so the ship can now act as a minesweeper.
Later,
Matt

Offline Tregonsee

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 09:47:17 AM »
Why not instead:

Turn 1, Impulse 1-  Jump through warp point
Impulse 2-6 turn on the warp point hex (turn in place)
Turn 2, Jump back through the warp point if you survive

Mines can't attack unless you are on the same hex as they are.
Mines can't be placed on the warp point hex directly.

If you want to move through minefield, your first example is more correct.

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 12:12:33 PM »
Why not instead:

Turn 1, Impulse 1-  Jump through warp point
Impulse 2-6 turn on the warp point hex (turn in place)
Turn 2, Jump back through the warp point if you survive

Mines can't attack unless you are on the same hex as they are.
Mines can't be placed on the warp point hex directly.

If you want to move through minefield, your first example is more correct.

The subject line states that it is a closed warp point, and minefields can be placed on a closed minefield, making them difficult to attack. 

3rd Ed. Rev., 27.08.05.6, Minesweeping, states that "Any unit that has detected a MF in a previous tactical turn, and mounts active Xr (on that unit), can operate in minesweeping mode..."  This is pretty clear, reducing the question to whether or not the mounting ship has an active Xr, as it certainly detected the minefield last turn.  Section 06.02.01 states that long range sensors are down on the turn of transit.  Although it is not directly stated, I would assume they are functional from the start of the following turn, meaning that example #1 was right, IMO. 

Kurt